Fiat 500 Forum banner

Automatic Gear Shift Knob

22K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Fiat17kid 
#1 ·
Just replaced my automatic gear shift knob with a carbon fiber and red knob from Black. I got the unit from the madness guys.
When taking off the stock knob, you must first pry off the chrome trim on the bottom. This exposes a very small flat pin in the front passenger side which can be removed by first sliding it with a small flat head screwdriver and then pulling it out with some pliers. The knob then lifts right off. Took some searching and figuring to find this pin.
The new knob installs with the typical set pin type setup. Doesn't adding carbon fiber to your car automatically make it faster? ;)
Hope this helps anyone making the change.

#3 ·
I changed my Sport automatic black/chrome knob out for a black leather one from a Lounge. not as fancy as CF, but I like it and it looks good with my leather wheel.

didn't find a 'pin' when I removed my knob. just pryed off the chrome bezel at the base of the knob and then pulled up on it. was tough, but came right off. just slid the chrome bezel for the new knob over the lever, pushed the Lounge knob down as far as it would go and then pulled the chrome bezel back up, snapping it into place. easy as pie. :D

#6 ·
first, simply pry off the chrome ring around the base of the knob.

second, lift up on the knob*. it will be kind of difficult, but it will come off. then slip the chrome ring up and off the shaft.

to install your replacement knob, simply repeat the process in reverse.

good luck.

* someone stated there is a 'pin' through the shaft that must be removed before you can pull up and remove the knob. I did not find one on my car. my Charger had the same type knob and it did not have any pin either.

#7 ·
Here are some pictures from changing out my automatic gear shift knob on my 500C Lounge. The first shows the stock knob and detail of the pin I had to remove to remove the knob. The last picture is my new knob installed. I am really happy with it and the black and red matches up well with my red and black leather seating.

#12 ·
I have some questions for anyone who has replaced their gearshift knob with one made by Black. I've never done this before. I was able to get the original knob off (I have an AT Pop), but it did have a pin. It was slightly different than tanda62's but when I couldn't get it off I started searching and found it.

My Black knob is a yellow sort of ceramic type (I don't think it's actually ceramic). It unscrews in half and, in fact, has a white ring the middle too that is a separate part. On the inside of the top half, there are three little screws that are supposed to be tightened before screwing the whole assembly together after getting everything on the gearshift.

There is a pdf instruction sheet I printed out, but it doesn't really tell you precisely where things go. My questions are:

There is a cylindric rubber part with a hole at the top. They show it as the first thing you do, placing it on top of the gearshift. Is that hole there at the top because you're supposed to pull the part down through the gearshift? Perhaps to stabilize it? Or is it supposed to just sit on top?

The three little screws and holes inside the top part of the knob - what is it that they are supposed to be tightening??? The only thing I can think of is that the rubber part is what's supposed to be there for the screws to go into?

Well, I guess I just had two questions really. I can't believe I'm having trouble with this after tracking down the pin to get the old one off!

Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.