Softer Suspension advice

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Softer Suspension advice

Thanks

Softer Suspension advice

Hi. I have a semi rough commute I have to make, and on my 2013 POP, the PO put on a much harder riding kit, which sees me catching air at times.

Is the stock suspension better that it would make a nicer ride or is this a lost cause?

Not looking for a Cadillac, but daily driving on the San Francisco bay area 680 between San Jose and San Ramon is a back buster.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    What is the current set up? There's a bit of black magic to the suspension setting, and I'm not even talking about handling stuff, just the ride quality issue. Basically softer doesn't necessarily make the ride better. What I'm trying to say is that you may be able to adjust the current suspension (if it's adjustable) to improve the situation. Also, the tires have a lot to do with highway ride quality, too. Having said that though, yes, stock suspension rides surprisingly well, a bit choppy at high speed, and floaty in corners, but rides pretty well in general.

Drives
    '12 ,500 Lounge - Verde Chiaro
    Thanks
    Take it back to stock. I drive over poor roads in my lounge and I do just fine everyday.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanintowson View Post
    Take it back to stock. I drive over poor roads in my lounge and I do just fine everyday.
    Yep. The ride on a stock POP is surprisingly good for a small car. Maybe the best small car ride out there.

tEdolph

Thanks
    Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,575 Posts
    My 500 Sport has a harsh ride. Stiffer suspension then what's on the Pop. I can imagine how the 17" tire suspension on a Abarth would feel like. Lots of road vibration transmit through the steering wheel. Even on the smoothest pavement. You can feel it in the seat of your pants too. Main reason, the 500 has a very short wheel base. Pretty normal for this class of vehicle. It will never ride like a Lexus. I would rate it one step up from our old smart car. If you like driving a Rockin bronco. I would suggest to the Op, to return your vehicle to its OEM suspension.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fastx19 View Post
    the PO put on a much harder riding kit

Need details on what, exactly, this is comprised of...
    Springs?
    Shocks?
    Swaybars?
    Lowered?
    Wheels?
    2016 500e
    Granito Lucente
    Ciao Milano 17s
    205/40-17 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2
    Abarth front springs and Abarth/Koni struts
    500 Madness rear lowering springs with Koni yellows, Energy bumpstops
    ST rear swaybar

Drives
    Abarth 500c/2015/black
    Thanks
    Hi Robbobster, swaybars and wheels wont make a deference. Tires will when the aspect ratio is changed. If you have15 or 16" wheels with tires that are xxx by 16" or 17" by 40 or 45, they will give a harsh ride because there is little rubber to flex. going to an xxx by 16/17 by 50 or 55 will soak up some bumps. You may only need to change tires.
    Shocks will likely make very little difference as well. If the car has very lowered springs that makes it harsh.
    I did a mild lower and it did not affect the ride much. These cars do ride a little rough on poor roads.

Drives
    Red sport 5 spd- Pop susp'n
    Thanks
    Not sure if fastx19 is still following this, but I have a 2012 sport. I put pop suspension on it after about 5000 km/ 3000 miles. The difference was very slight. I then changed from the 16" sport wheels to the 15" pop alloys (which I like better any way). That made a reasonable difference as the 15" wheel has a 55 series tire rather than the 45 series tire of the 16" wheel.

I too find the ride too stiff; the Euro 500 is more softly sprung and has a more compliant ride, which I prefer. I think that changing the suspension back to a pop/ lounge suspension is definitely a good step. Alternatively, I have heard that the KONI yellow suspension kit is adjustable and so could possibly be better quality and have better compression and rebound control.

I love my 500 still, after almost five years, but I would like a softer ride as well.
    Damon
    2012 Sport, Mercedes B200 turbo manual, Piaggio BV350

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umbrianissimo For This Useful Post:

bryanintowson (01-23-2017),SeaDawg (01-23-2017)

Thanks
    We live in low speed beach sand/gravel/pothole territory, so the more sidewall the better.

Do we know what the max wheel/tire diameter is for a Fiat 500?

Is anyone else running 185/60R15 like Osterkraut (the winter tire guy with yellow 500)?
    2012 FIAT 500C Lounge Verde Chiaro Auto 72,000mi, 35w DDM Plus HID Kit 5500k

Drives
    Lounge/2012/pistacio or such
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanintowson View Post
    Agreed. My stock tire size is 185/55/15. I use Blizzaks in the winter, but have been pleased with the original Firestone Firehawk GT for three season use.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread