No oil engine light yet? (7000 miles, Abarth)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No oil engine light yet? (7000 miles, Abarth)

Drives
    2013 500 Abarth
    Thanks

No oil engine light yet? (7000 miles, Abarth)

Hmmm, no engine oil change light has activated yet since purchase and I've hit 7000 miles (11250 km). I did switch out the factory break in fluid at around 1800 miles (2900 km) so I'm not necessarily too concerned yet, although I've become accustomed to switching oil out every 5000 miles with other vehicles.

Is this normal? I know the maximum change interval can reach as high as 8000 miles, but I thought the intervals were shorter with the Abarth? Some input appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    2013 Grigio FIAT 500 Abarth
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnGeeves View Post
    Hmmm, no engine oil change light has activated yet since purchase and I've hit 7000 miles (11250 km). I did switch out the factory break in fluid at around 1800 miles (2900 km) so I'm not necessarily too concerned yet, although I've become accustomed to switching oil out every 5000 miles with other vehicles.

Is this normal? I know the maximum change interval can reach as high as 8000 miles, but I thought the intervals were shorter with the Abarth? Some input appreciated.
    I'd say you are still ok, I was past 7K and no light either and I couldn't take it so I took it in to the dealer and had it done along with the tire rotation, it just felt to abnormal but I am waiting till the light the next time. I think some reported being around 7800 before it popped.

Drives
    2013 500e Arancio Elettrico
    Thanks

Oil change interval info

OK, bear with me for a bit.... I've dug into this for articles I've written..... Now, oil used to be good for about 3000 miles, or 4 changes a year, and there are a lot of reasons that we're "stuck" in too frequent oil changes. Oddly enough, some of this was created by add campaigns when GM came out with the oil life sensor system in the early 80s.... Oil companies thought that they'd lose 75% of their oil change business, so they did a massive campaign to keep everyone on the 3000 mile schedule. But really, they just wanted your money. But a lot of things have come together to make oils last longer. 1) Lead was removed from gas in the mid 70s. This greatly reduced sludge in the crank case. 2) additives evolved. They last a lot longer than they used to. FWIW, the need to change oil is mostly driven by break down of the additives, not the degradation of the base stock. 3) engine manufacturing got a lot tighter. LEss blow by, less gunk in the crank case. 4) The slow but steady march to more synthetic base stock that is more tolerant of both hot and cold weather. Going against all this is the increased wear caused by higher engine specific output (more HP per cubic inch of displacement) as well as higher RPM. But overall, oil is much, much better than it used to be. For the MC2 MINI S Clubman, it's been having it's oil sent off to Blackstone Labs for analysis. IT's pretty cheap to do... Anyway, at 12k miles the oil is great. And this is for a 1.6L turbo four with variable valve timing. What is more of a problem with extended oil service intervals is that the very small about of oil burnt in even a good engine can lower oil level over time. So check your oil level every month, and change either when the timer says so, when the lab report says so, or once a year (this may be too often, but it's a good way to remember.)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr Obnxs For This Useful Post:

ragingbullwinkle (08-05-2013),ShawnGeeves (08-05-2013)

Drives
    2013 Grigio Abarth
    Thanks
    Thanks Dr. interesting, as far as the light goes mine just came on this weekend 10,499
    myself only being half use to synthetics I changed at 1700, 3000 and 6800

Drives
    2013 Abarth red
    Thanks
    you will at 8000

Drives
    2013 500 Abarth
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies! Today it activated. (7900 miles) Off for an oil change I go...

Drives
    2013 Grigio FIAT 500 Abarth
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnGeeves View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Today it activated. (7900 miles) Off for an oil change I go...

Sort of funny that it pops 8 days after you were beginning to worry about it.

Drives
    2013 500e Arancio Elettrico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ragingbullwinkle View Post
    Thanks Dr. interesting, as far as the light goes mine just came on this weekend 10,499
    myself only being half use to synthetics I changed at 1700, 3000 and 6800
    You are literally wasting time, money and oil at this frequent a change interval. Many think this is "cheap insurance" and in some sense they are right... But in others not so much: Every change is an opportunity to screw up (do enough oil changes and you WILL cross thread a drain plug....). One screw up can cost a lot. Also, there are 62 million cars on the road in the US. Too frequent oil changes can add up to a lot of oil!

Really, the habit to replace the "3000 mile change" mantra is to check level every month, and change every year (I go faster if the oil nanny dictates, but I try to not go past a year.....)

11. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements