How do YOU say, "Abarth?" - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU say, "Abarth?"

Drives
    2012 Abarth (Grigio)
    Thanks
    Ah-but, is this a genuine Abarth????
    2012 Abarth (Grigio/Nero Leather, 17s) Unichip (stage2/v4 add on), EuroCompulsion V4 Intake, HPSI Boost Valve, R1 Concepts Brakes, Craven SS and GearKnob

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    2013 Grigio Abarth
    Thanks
    Funny you ask...my Abarth is considered a Chrysler! Both for insurance and registration purposes. That's almost worse than hearing "Abarth" butchered. In reality, much like "Shelby" and "Cobra" once belonging to Ford, the "Abarth" name, and associated branding right is now owned by Chrysler, so it's a moot point, but still a handy pronunciation guide, the way you asked. It appears the Carrol Shelby estate will be in litigation over ownership of the naming rights with multiple parties, forever.

Drives
    an Abarth in my Future
    Thanks
    you could always check and see if there is an Abarth commercial on utube and listen to how THEY pronounce it.
    "Don't text while driving. You might spill your beer"

Drives
    an Abarth in my Future
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hownowcb View Post
    Funny you ask...my Abarth is considered a Chrysler! Both for insurance and registration purposes. That's almost worse than hearing "Abarth" butchered.
    hate to break this to you, but did you know that the first 2008 smarts that rolled off the assembly line were listed as "Chrysler smarts"? I think it was any of the 2008s built up to January of 2008. the I.D. tag on the door opening, with the production date, VIN, etc shows "Manufactured by Chrysler". after that date, the tag showed "Manufactured by Daimler".

so I guess that makes your Abarth and an early smart car........step brothers????
    "Don't text while driving. You might spill your beer"

Drives
    2013 Grigio Abarth
    Thanks
    That was cruel! I have actual step-siblings I hold in higher regard than Smart cars! The reality is that it merely reflects Chrysler's state of "ownership" flux the past few years. I think Fiat is a better match for them than Mercedes was, but what do I know? Well, aside from how to pronounce "Abarth"?

Drives
    2013 Abarth - Nero
    Thanks
    Was Walter's last name originally pronounced "Krees-ler"? Was it Carroll Shell-bye? In America wouldn't we be saying Fy-at? Daym-ler/Dime-ler? Mer-say-deez or MER-se-deez. Ah well...

Drives
    La Sombrita
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hownowcb View Post
    Funny you ask...my Abarth is considered a Chrysler! Both for insurance and registration purposes. That's almost worse than hearing "Abarth" butchered. In reality, much like "Shelby" and "Cobra" once belonging to Ford, the "Abarth" name, and associated branding right is now owned by Chrysler, so it's a moot point, but still a handy pronunciation guide, the way you asked. It appears the Carrol Shelby estate will be in litigation over ownership of the naming rights with multiple parties, forever.
    "Owned by Chrysler", what? FIAT owns majority share in Chrysler, it's not the other way around. The Ford Ka isn't a FIAT simply because it is designed & built by FIAT. It's a Ford designed & built by a foreign contractor. Right? Of course, that is an extreme example.
    Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

http://creamcitycinquecentoclub.blogspot.com

“... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy.” - James May

Drives
    Lounge 2013 Rosso Brilliante
    Thanks
    So how do you pronounce Porsche?

Gerhard

Drives
    La Sombrita
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 895 Posts
    Porsche is pronounced Por'sh ~ the "e" is silent went it follows "sch", the "c" is soft, so it's not pronounced like a "k".
    Vivere.Amare.Guidare.

https://www.facebook.com/CC5Club

http://creamcitycinquecentoclub.blogspot.com

“... there is only one way to drive a small FIAT, and that is without mercy.” - James May

Drives
    Lounge 2013 Rosso Brilliante
    Thanks
    See I am German and I would pronounce it more like a shaa sound. Each to his own though. I remember being in Lexington KY and on a street called Versailles, I stopped at a gas station and asked for direction wasn't sure which road he meant so I asked if I was to keep going on Versigh and he looked really puzzled at me and then said Versales. What I learned is what I consider the proper pronunciation is totally worthless if the person I am talking to knows how it is pronounced even if that is at odds with how it is "properly pronounced".

Gerhard

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerhard For This Useful Post:

amacento (01-15-2013),junnyquest (05-04-2014)

13. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements