Front mud flaps
NEWS

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front mud flaps

Drives
    2012 Rosso Abarth
    Thanks

Front mud flaps

These photos show the front mud flaps that I installed, using a generic set of flaps obtained at my local auto parts store for $5.18
    The size was adjusted using an x-acto knife to a width of 5",
    any wider and it will not lie flat against the back wheelwell due to a
    small ridge there. Place the flap into the desired location, and rub it against the already installed screws, the resulting marks on the flaps will give you the location for drilling the holes for mounting. Using the already installed
    plastic strip, use it after removing, as a template for drilling the necessary mounting holes, using the removed screws. After final mounting, drill a 1/4"
    hole in the top of the flap through the wheelwell material, and install a 1/4"
    expanding, removable rivit type screw. This is my firs photo posting, I hope it comes out okay.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sep092011 250.jpg‎
Views:	4757
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	431   Click image for larger version

Name:	sep092011 246.jpg‎
Views:	4225
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	432   Click image for larger version

Name:	sep092011 247.jpg‎
Views:	3709
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	433   Click image for larger version

Name:	sep092011 256.jpg‎
Views:	3267
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	434  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sam18428 For This Useful Post:

3DSteve (12-01-2011),dracula (07-31-2012),JohnR (12-11-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    These look great! I can't tell from the pics but do you have the stock rear mudguards? If so how did the install compare?

Drives
    2012 Rosso Abarth
    Thanks
    Yes, I also have the rear mud flaps from Fiat, and the install was just as easy. On the rear, you have to drill 2 holes per mud flap, and for the front only one (not counting the 3 holes that are drilled thru the flaps themselves).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sam18428 For This Useful Post:

JohnR (12-11-2011),tanda62 (09-21-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for this info, I picked up a set of similar flat mud flaps at Advance Auto Parts, going to try this myself soon.

I didn't realize you don't get a jack unless you get the complete spare tire kit, and I always used the one supplied with my Golf because of the weird pinch weld tabs they have (a regular jack crushes them), so I have to borrow one to do it.

Thanks
    Steve, I'm a little unclear on this. Are you able to use the jack from your Golf on your 500? If so, what year is your Golf? That would be awesome if I could use the one in my wife's Mk VI!

Thanks
    No, I was wondering if the Fiat needed a jack with some kind of special pad or head on it to avoid damaging the body. I looked under there today but couldn't clearly see the location behind the Sport trim piece.

I was just using my old Golf as an example of a car that can't easily use a standard jack.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 3DSteve For This Useful Post:

JohnR (12-11-2011)

Thanks
    Drat.

Drives
    Red sport 5 spd- Pop susp'n
    Thanks
    Sam,

I think what you've done is great. I really want mud flaps on my sport. Am I correct in understanding that you used two existing screws (marked by the rubbing you mentioned) and then one additional screw that went through the plastic wheel well liner?

I would not want to be drilling into metal and exposing it to salt and dirt and water.

I'm going to check in Italy to see if they have mudguards that would fit. I don't recall seeing the sport plastic bit on 500's there and that might be part of the problem here.

But again, very good job.
    Damon
    2012 Sport, Mercedes B200 turbo manual, Piaggio BV350

Drives
    2012 Rosso Abarth
    Thanks
    Yes, 2 of the screws I mentioned are hex head, and are visible in photo 4. The top one is a removable rivit type screw that is pushed thru the 1/4" hole drilled in the top of the flap. No holes are drilled into metal, only the fiber wheel well liner. You can see a small plastic piece that is front of the mud flap, that is already on the car, and I kept it as an additional firmness support in front of the mud flap. It was also used as a template for the correct hole spacing when drilling thru the flaps. It would have been easier to describe if I had done a video, but I'm a 63 year old fart, who isn't too up on video techniques. Hope this helps you. I don't think there are any front flaps made for the 500 in europe, although I had seen a post somewhere, where a frnt flap to a Ford Ka was used, and seemed to fit quite well. Good luck.

Drives
    an Abarth in my Future
    Thanks
    once the weather breaks, I'm doing something similar too. I think I'll remove the small "spats" for the front wheels (they're useless as mudguards), use them as a pattern to modify a set of generic mudguards. will post my pics whenever I get this done.....sometime this year! LOL

15. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements