Interesting Noises - Service tech is ignoring them

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Noises - Service tech is ignoring them

Drives
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grey
    Thanks

Interesting Noises - Service tech is ignoring them

I have a 2013 Abarth with just over 18k miles. I have noticed a few new noises, the first one came up pretty early on, its a whirling noise at around 2,500 rpm. It's independent of boost, doesn't matter if I'm on the throttle or off when the car is around 2,500rpm it makes the whirling whining noise. The second is very new, when I turn off the car I get a very short squeal almost like a belt sound. Such as one of the pulleys is stopping before the belt stops or one of the pulleys are still turning when the belt/crank stops. I've had turbo cars before, recently a 05 SRT-4 and I am very familar to the noises stock and modified turbo cars make. The service tech is blowing it off saying it is making the standard noise a turbo car makes. He said the noise when I turn off the car was the cooling pump runs to cool the turbo. I came back with knowing what that sound is and that isn't the same sound. Anyhow, my google searches have been pretty fruitless, as anyone else had these issues?

Thanks,

GunmanGrim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    Abarth/2013/Nero
    Thanks
    I don't have an answer for either question but I also have a 2013 Abarth which has been making that squeal noise for as long as I can remember. Over 10K miles on mine now. However mine is very faint (from inside the car at least) and quick. They way you described the squeal in your post made it seem like yours is much more serious however.

I'll try to get a good recording of it when I get home tonight from work and you can compare it to what your hearing.

Drives
    Thanks
    The first noise is whirrling whining noise, like a low pitch whistle. and it only comes from 2500~ to 3400~ rpm (I need to adjust the original post), the pitch changes with the RPMs up and down respectively. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in, what the intake MF pressure is, the temperature outside. I do notice it only happens when the car is warm and has been driving for a little bit. I took a video of it, it's hard to hear on the phone, but you can hear it best at around 40 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzAQ...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Tweak; 06-17-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Embedded video.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    Abarth/2013/Nero
    Thanks
    Here's my squeal when I turn off the engine. Sound similar to yours?

In regards to your video, I'm thinking that it may be the transmission? Try getting up to the speed where you notice the whirring / whining and shift into neutral and see if the noise goes away.

Drives
    Thanks
    Wow that is the exact noise I get! Exactly as I described. Have you found anything on it?

as for the first one, it also doesn't matter if I have it in gear or in neutral or downshifting.

Drives
    Abarth/2013/Nero
    Thanks
    I haven't brought it up to my dealer and have never really worried about it being a problem. I figured it was just a normal sound the Abarth made. Maybe some other Abarth owners on the forum can confirm they also get the same sound? From what I can gather, the MultAir engine is very unique in its operation so maybe the noise is just part of its normal operation (I hope).

its starting to get hot an humid here in the NorthEast and a sound that does have me worried is my A/C unit kicking on. It comes on with a pretty loud bang sometimes.

Drives
    Thanks
    So I brought it back to the dealer to have them put on the replacement side skirt. I asked again about the noise. The tech said he heard it this time and looked up on the fiat service tech's system and he says its a normal sound from the wastegate bleeding off after shutting off. I'm still not buying it, however this is my second visit with it being mentioned on record. So if it is something wrong I have a record of bringing it in. I'll keep looking for it. Let me know Manco if you bring yours in for it.

Drives
    Abarth/2013/Nero
    Thanks
    I'm taking in my car in tomorrow to hopefully get my TPMS Unavailable issue fixed. I'll ask and see what they say about it.

Drives
    Abarth/2013/Nero
    Thanks
    I wanted to come back and update this thread because the noise seems to have gone away since they replaced the water pump that was squealing. Maybe this could be an early indicator of a bad water pump?

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    This is exactly what stethoscopes are for.

I really have doubts about these service techs. They don't seem to know really basic, simple things.

TEdolph

13. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast