Rear wheel bearings

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear wheel bearings

Thanks

Rear wheel bearings

I have a 2012 fiat 500. Only 40000 KMS. Is this uncommon for wheel bearings to go with such low KMS?

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Yes. Especially the rear bearings.

There just isn't any load back there.

What makes you think that the bearings are bad?

TEdolph

Drives
    2012 Abarth
    Thanks
    It has been a common problem on the early Abarths. Rear bearings only lasting about 30,000 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Grinding noise. and had checked by mechanic. Fear now is will the front bearings go and then what else. Maybe transmission. Thought I had bought a dependable vehicle.

Thanks for the info
    John

Thanks

Fiat 500

Took my Fiat 500 to the Duncan, BC Fiat dealership March 24 2016 to have the rear wheel bearings replaced. Two hours and $600 later the bill!! I wonder if they put any grease in the bearings? Will take the car to another mechanic to check as I really wonder if the Fiat dealer mechanic knew what he did. Then, as I see from the internet forums that there is a problem with wheel brgs. steering, transmission, and I wonder what else with the Fiat, I will get rid of it and get an made in the USA vehicle.

John

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Took my Fiat 500 to the Duncan, BC Fiat dealership March 24 2016 to have the rear wheel bearings replaced. Two hours and $600 later the bill!! I wonder if they put any grease in the bearings? Will take the car to another mechanic to check as I really wonder if the Fiat dealer mechanic knew what he did. Then, as I see from the internet forums that there is a problem with wheel brgs. steering, transmission, and I wonder what else with the Fiat, I will get rid of it and get an made in the USA vehicle.

John
    I agree. A Chevy Aero would be really nice.....

in tan.

Tedolph

Drives
    2014 500L Lounge
    Thanks

John
    This is something I would have done myself assuming it was out of warranty however I assume you re talking about a 500 and not the 500L since they are so new they should all still be under warranty. I would put in something like a quality SKF bearing. Probably around 30-40$ at best. I cannot believe they charged $200 a bearing unless they are proprietary for the Fiat and they really are proud of them. I assumed $100 an hour for your 2 hrs of work.
    2014 500L White Loaded Lounge Hidden Content
    2015 Genesis 5.0 AWD
    1996 Mercedes SL 320
    2017 Honda Ridgeline, Touring

Thanks
    Yes the fiat 500. Out of warranty. And from now on will do work myself. Am going to be rid of the fiat as looks like many more problems are slated for the car.

Drives
    Sport 2012 Pearl White
    Thanks
    John, I also have a 2012 Fiat 500, had to replace one of the rear bearings approx. a year ago, and now, at 70,000km I'm told BOTH have to be replaced at a cost of $950 (CDN). I was told these are not warranty items (and I'm out of warranty anyway). This seems very strange to me, especially having to replace the one that's only a year old! I've driven cars for much longer without ever having to replace a single bearing. Do you think this a Fiat issue?

Thanks
    Grinding noise. and had checked by mechanic. Fear now is will the front bearings go and then what else. Maybe transmission. Thought I had bought a dependable vehicle.

Thanks for the info
    John
    So it's not dependable because you can make a list of things that might go bad in the future?

Had you researched the car, I'm sure you would have seen all the issues with rear wheel bearings.

People don't buy European cars because they are dependable. They buy them because they are worth repairing.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast