Fiat 500 Forum banner

500L Abarth?

17K views 59 replies 12 participants last post by  FiatFan1990 
#1 ·
I read somewhere that the new 500X would be getting an Abarth version and I was sure I read the 500L would be getting one as well. Is that still happening? I would love to see it if it did....

#2 ·
It would be pretty easy for them to come out with a Abarth edition, just put in the 2.4 Tigershark motor in it and some Scorpion logos. I assume since the Dodge Dart has both the 1.4 turbo and Tigershark available the work for the swap is pretty much done. Too late for me, I am going to stick with my Trekking unless at some point it starts to let me down.

#4 ·
The L always gets the short end of the stick in reviews and even on this forum. It has been perfect for me as a grocery getter, weekend fun machine to the beach or kayaking and making runs to the airport in bad weather where the great visibility and front wheel drive help a lot. It is also keeping mudane winter miles off of my Mustang which is great too.

I will never understand all the hateful and negative comments the L seems to attract, I even got a thumbs down from some moron on the freeway driving a beat Toyota truck.

#5 ·
I think a lot of it is simply the looks, overall pretty much everything about it works but for many it just isn't the best looking ride. The new X however is better optioned and in many ways most are likely to find it the better looking vehicle as well. Both great in their own rights but I feel the new X will be the bell of the ball.

#11 ·
The Elle is the best selling coach in its segment (in Europe). It is a great exercise in utilitarian design. More importantly, don Giolito managed the accomplishment without losing a drop of Italian-ness. I don't think it's necessary to have an ABARTH version of every FIAT. In fact, don Abarth did not select every model of his time for ABARTHs.

The 'X' is better suited for ABARTH, because it was designed with (off road) Motorsport in mind.

I say fans of the Elle, I am one, ought to embrace the city lounge for what it is.

#13 ·
It's being embraced for what it is, for sure, but we also need to draw some more people into the showrooms to experience and buy the 500L, so Fiat needs some other avenues. I think an Abarth version could help. It would still have the utility we love, but a dash of sport may be what it needs to get more people in the seat of it. I think the performance of it is already good, but a truly dedicated one like the 500 Abarth could be what the doctor ordered :)

#15 ·
The Trekking is offered to be fill the 'sporty' void. With the 500X, I believe the Elle will finally find its audience... people looking for the utility, with a bit of sportiness, and nothing more. It's perfect.

#18 ·
Will the X help the L, or will it hurt it? If people come to Fiat and buy an X, but not an L, it's not doing so well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I am only guessing here but I think if you have someone come into a studio and the X and L are side by side something like 7 out of 10 are going to go for the X.

I know I would be going for it first unless something (likely price) killed it for me.

#20 ·
There are people who don't need everything the 'X' offers. With some of the $$ FIAT owners spend on mods, they could have purchased any number of hot hatches. Still, they purchased a FIAT... some a non-Turbo FIAT. Why? The FIAT has everything they need and nothing they don't.

The Elle currently sells between 1/3-to-1/4 of total 500 sales. Are you suggesting FIAT sales will never increase? Every time they introduce a new model it'll take the sales of the existing model? Well, if that's the case, we should sell our FIAT nows... because the company will not be around for long. When the Elle was first announced people assumed it would kill the sales of the smaller model. That didn't happen. It helped clarify whether someone needed the 4-dr/5-dr version or not. With the 'X', I believe, it will clarify whether people want another SUV or simply need more space with some Italian flavor.

#21 ·
Sales of the X will help Fiat sales increase. Will people look at the L after seeing the X? Probably not likely. If you don't want everything offered on the X, don't get it with all of that stuff. I'm not against the L as I love mine, but the 500 versus 500L comparison doesn't hold as much weight as the X versus L cause now you have two similar models and the newer model is capturing universal interest the older one did not get.

#22 ·
Sales of the X will help Fiat sales increase. Will people look at the L after seeing the X? Probably not likely. If you don't want everything offered on the X, don't get it with all of that stuff. I'm not against the L as I love mine, but the 500 versus 500L comparison doesn't hold as much weight as the X versus L cause now you have two similar models and the newer model is capturing universal interest the older one did not get.

This is pretty much what I expect to see happen as well. IF they are close enough in price I just cannot see the L being chosen that often over the X once they are sitting side by side. Once I see the new X in person maybe I will change my opinion but to me it looks like two identical classes of vehicle in the size but with the X having the ability to offer more (if wanted).

#28 ·
I was going to bring up the fact the Compass & Patriot are rumored to be canceled as negating your point about the new Cherokee cutting into sales. You beat me to it :D

FIAT needed a new MPV in their range. The 500L replaced the Sedici. As you know, the 500X was actually unveiled at the 500L launch. It's a model they already planned. FIAT always does intense focus groups during development. So, the angle you're shooting from is off. Otherwise, I'd be in 100% agreement with you.

#31 ·
I test drove an Abarth today. Asked about the new X. The very enthusiastic salesman told me all about it. I asked did he think it would eat into L sales. He said yes and he hoped people would still give the L a chance, consider it's still trying to get off its feet after the recall situation and that they've had a discussion on it already in meetings. So, the angle can't be too far off if Fiat sales people are talking about this very thing.

#36 ·
I see the 500X and the 500L living (the longer version) being in the US market. My wife would never go for the 500X or similar cars not an open enough feel. The open feel is often mentioned as key plus of the 500L. Eliminating the 169 inch version of the 500L would eliminate model overlap.

#37 ·
The open feel of the L is pretty easy to get used to as normal if you own one, compared to all the vehicles for sale with "short" glass as is the stying at the moment. :).

#38 ·
The L is a nice car. Our dealer is knocking off $4-5K off sticker for them. We just took our car, in for service this morning. L's sitting all over the lot. Even with the discount prices. Really don't know what it's going to take to sell them. Fiat never really has advertised the L.

#40 ·
The airbag recall in the first year didn't help.

There are 4 in our club and all those owners are quite happy.

One thing I've come across is people telling me they actually frequent forums like this one. Historically, there has been a lot complaining/whining here. Some people will express two completely opposed POVs in the same thread. Non-enthusiasts read that stuff and get turned off. They figure we're all enthusiasts. If we don't like our choice...

#42 ·
Maybe Fiat is waiting for the auto cars to get off the boat? If the L does not start selling or goes away completely, I will be forced to get rid of a car I really like when the warranty is over and I won't be buying another Fiat. I already have one Fiat that is hard to get parts for and I have to do all the mechanicals myself, I honestly don't have time for another.

#48 ·
I will agree that lately there have been no ads for the L, but from launch to about 2 months ago there were a huge amount of TV adds including puffy and the whole the Italians are coming campaign. Also girls getting dressed next to a 13 year old boy in the back seat. They were all on during sports and other high viewer ship programming

#51 ·
The L may be a good car, but the looks.....and doing an Abarth L is just like putting lipstick on a pig. The X is the future for FCA increasing sales in America IMHO.

#55 ·
Thank you so much for yet another insulting post here about the car I drive and enjoy. 30 years of Fiat ownership and being involved in the culture and I have never had one of my cars called a pig by a fellow owner. Thanks for keeping it classy.

Reactions: amacento
#53 ·
I've had a few people compliment the looks of my L. It's all a matter of opinion....
My Trekking has received more compliments than all of my previous cars added together and then some. And, 15 months after I drove it off the lot, it still happens. There are VERY few 500Ls on the roads around here so the Trekking really stands out I guess. There are increasing numbers of 500s seen around here.

The last car of mine to get praise from anyone was my then brand-new red Jetta back in 1991. I had a mountain bike on top and was parked near the ocean in Santa Cruz, CA, where I had driven from Calgary. Some passing surfer types pronounced the Jetta 'cool'. These days people who like the 500L seem to like it both for its style and roominess (like me).

#54 ·
I've seen a few Elles on the street and they are a stand-out... for the right reasons. Last night, on my work-home commute, an Elle with TX plates pulled up behind me. I dig these. They are an incredible value... maybe the best on the market for this type of vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.