Indicator Lights Redux

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indicator Lights Redux

Drives
    2013 500e
    Thanks

Indicator Lights Redux

After solving the mystery of the TPS indicator light, this morning another light icon appeared, along with the envelope icon. I clicked through, and the cluster displayed "Right Brake Light out."

That was clear, but I thought I'd check and had Mary stand behind the car while (with ignition on) I pressed the brake pedal. It's correct that a rear brake light was out, but it was the left one that didn't illuminate.

I'm pleased for the warning, as we wouldn't have seen the fault otherwise. But the car seems again just a few bugs short of being ready for prime time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dbrick For This Useful Post:

bdjuju (03-17-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    Possibly Italians view the car from the front? Like they might say that the coolant bottles are on the left side from looking from in front of the car.

Drives
    2013 500e
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Possibly Italians view the car from the front? Like they might say that the coolant bottles are on the left side from looking from in front of the car.
    Mary wondered the same. But I don't think that's it: when the cluster displayed the stored message, it also showed a rear-quarter view of the car, and the right taillight (but not the left) had a emphasis rectangle around it. An emphasis rectangle is also used to show which of the tires has set off the TPS warning.

I'm afraid it's just an error.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    2013 500e
    Thanks
    Confirmed. Changed the left-side tail/brake bulb, both sides work now, and the indicator light and message went away.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,593 Posts
    How the simple thing in life work. In the old days, you drove around, with burnt out bulbs.
    Glad you got you issue fixed

Thanks
    Mine is the same. Both the indicator light & the stop light were indicated on the dash in writing & a picture of the rear with offending lamp circled in red, each were the wrong side.
    Apart from a couple of these very easy to deal with inconveniences, I've found the 500e to be exceptionally well made, especially compared to the 500 & 500L loaners I was given. They were what I would call traditional Fiat's, plasticky, rattly, terribly finished vehicles. My now 3 year old 500e (lease is almost up) has no serious rattles to speak of (bearing in mind it is silent to drive), feels as taught as the day i got it, has not deteriorated one iota in performance, and handles superbly for such a small rubber footprint on the road.
    I recently added new Kuhmo extreme tires & in the recent rains have been driving like a teenage hooligan, just to see what it will take & I am truly staggered at the speeds I have been cornering at. I realize a lot of this is the 600 lbs of batteries at the extremely low center of gravity but even so, WOW! Even puddles at speed on a corner that I thought would, for sure, loosen it's grip, just didn't happen. I feel more confident in heavy rain in this car than the Boxster. (Which is no slouch in the wet on Pilot sport tires either.
    I will really go over the 2017 500e model before i decide to get one & even then, given the rebate loss, I may well opt to buy this one. I realize not everyone has been as lucky with theirs as I have but for me, I'm really smitten by this little thing. the little complaints I have are only due to how quiet the car is. Minor noises, like the wind from the windows & the squeaks that seem to be from where the glass & the rubber seal meet, are the only tiny annoyances. I think I can get rid of the latter with some silicone spray on the rubber window seals but haven't gotten annoyed enough yet to take action! (Any suggestions to fix this would be welcomed).

Drives
    2013 500e
    Thanks
    I'm resurrecting this thread for a follow-up.

You'll remember the prior situation last December: the dash said (and pictured) that the right brake light was out. However, exam showed the left brake bulb had a broken filament. Solved by replacing the left-side bulb.

Yesterday, the dash said (and pictured) that the left brake light was out. Investigation revealed the same left/right reverse error: this time, the right brake light bulb had failed. Replacing the right-side bulb solved it.

While I'm glad my attention was drawn to the failures, whoever did the coding gets a C-.
    Last edited by dbrick; 09-06-2016 at 07:25 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dbrick For This Useful Post:

bdjuju (03-17-2017)

Thanks
    lol I was just about to post the same tale of my own stop light experience. Same story. I thought they might have been referencing the car from the front (didn't even notice the graphic) but when I pulled the left light housing, it clearly states 'L' on a big sticker, and not right as the error message indicated.
    Cmon guys! Get the coders and the chassis guys on the same page.
    At least it's not 'D' and 'S' for right and left like on my Moto-Guzzi motorbike. (Destra=right, sinistra=left)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drives
    500e Grigio Sport lowered
    Thanks
    It seems to be backward for all the 500e's. I was playing around with LED bulbs (not worth it as the car thinks the LED is blown from its low electricity use and the fix is a pain) and my 2015 said the wrong side was out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tpoltron For This Useful Post:

bdjuju (03-19-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tpoltron View Post
    It seems to be backward for all the 500e's. I was playing around with LED bulbs (not worth it as the car thinks the LED is blown from its low electricity use and the fix is a pain) and my 2015 said the wrong side was out.
    Tail lights? Did you use canbus bulbs?
    What's the fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast