Charge to 100%

  1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

    Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Charge to 100%

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    36
    Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Charge to 100%

    I've generally charged to 100% (not counting the buffer), but I've read on a Nissan Leaf forum that some seem to limit their charge to about 80%. Not sure if their reason is because of the Leaf's poor thermal management system, or some other reason not to "fill up".

    Probably doesnt matter to most of us who lease because I doubt there would be any problem in just three years.

    Yes, I'm thinking about a used Leaf. Many 2-3 year old Leafs in the $10 - $13K range. I don't drive more than 20-30 miles per day so I'm not needing an expensive 200+ mile EV. The 500e has been great, but my wife is saying she would like a slightly larger 4 door.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    98
    Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
    I do think it is because the Leaf battery is an air cooled battery and there were concerns about longevity due to higher temps. People would try to limit this by only partially charging but I doubt that it helped anything. Really, any drive battery has a buffer (like you mention) so in reality you are only charging to ~80%.

    I think if you find a Leaf that's lived here in the PNW you'll be fine on the battery front.

  4. #3
    rkw
    rkw is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    169
    Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
    Battery performance degrades as they are used and recharged, and an EV's range will decrease during its life. Charging to 100% degrades the battery faster. The reason to charge only to 80% is to extend the battery's life. For this reason the Mercedes EV model normally charges only to 80%, with an option to override to 100% "extended range" when you need it. Charging to 100% will cause little degradation in only 3 years, but if you plan to keep the car for 10 years or more, you might want to keep it in mind.

    Other factors that accelerate battery degradation are running down to low charge (10%), fast charging (DC and Tesla Supercharging), and heat (caused by charging without thermal management).

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    98
    Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 32 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkw View Post
    Battery performance degrades as they are used and recharged, and an EV's range will decrease during its life. Charging to 100% degrades the battery faster. The reason to charge only to 80% is to extend the battery's life. For this reason the Mercedes EV model normally charges only to 80%, with an option to override to 100% "extended range" when you need it. Charging to 100% will cause little degradation in only 3 years, but if you plan to keep the car for 10 years or more, you might want to keep it in mind.

    Other factors that accelerate battery degradation are running down to low charge (10%), fast charging (DC and Tesla Supercharging), and heat (caused by charging without thermal management).
    This is true but most EV's have a buffer where, even though the dash says 100%, the battery is only truly at ~80% of it's maximum capacity as to avoid over charging and future battery degradation.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 131 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    Yes, I'm thinking about a used Leaf. Many 2-3 year old Leafs in the $10 - $13K range. I don't drive more than 20-30 miles per day so I'm not needing an expensive 200+ mile EV. The 500e has been great, but my wife is saying she would like a slightly larger 4 door.

    In SoCal, when the 2017's were arriving, brand-new 2016 models were in the $8K range after discounts, incentives rebates.
    This also happened last year during model-year changeover.

    It pays to shop around and be mindful of the offers available at a particular time.

    Don't overpay for a used Leaf, especially given their known battery issues...which are directly related to crappy thermal management, as noted by others.
    2016 500e
    Granito Lucente
    Ciao Milano 17s
    205/40-17 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2
    ST rear swaybar

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to robbobster For This Useful Post:

    500Emazing (01-21-2017)

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    36
    Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm also wondering if I might squeeze out another .1 or .2 miles per kWh if I leave home at 80% instead of 100% Regen isn't as strong in a fully charged battery (I think), so when I go down the first hill a mile from home I might get a tiny more regen if I started at 80%???

    Yes, I'm joking about the BIG savings between a typical 4.5 miles per kWh and squeezing out 4.7 miles per kWh.

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 131 Times in 100 Posts
    Regen isn't as strong, because the energy has to go somewhere...the battery is full, overcharging is bad.
    So the car relies on is friction brakes until the battery SOC is low enough to safely accept a charge.

    An 80% battery, regen'd to 82% on that first downhill...is still less range than a 100% battery LOL
    2016 500e
    Granito Lucente
    Ciao Milano 17s
    205/40-17 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2
    ST rear swaybar

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi,
    I have a 2016 Model 500-E Sport
    After I leased it at 1400 Miles it kept going into Turtle Mode Several Times
    After taking it back to the dealer they had the car 5 weeks and replaced all the Batteries
    The car has Not gone in Turtle Mode but when I charge it on my Bosh 220 volt charger I only get about 75 miles
    on a Full Charge is this Right? Before with the older batteries it said like 100 miles left when I got into the Car.
    Also I noticed that when you slow down to like a stop sign or signal the car Lurches forward like its Downshifting.
    I did not notice this before with the original Batteries in the car is this Right?
    Thanks.

  11. #9
    rkw
    rkw is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    169
    Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Fiat View Post
    when I charge it on my Bosh 220 volt charger I only get about 75 miles
    on a Full Charge is this Right? Before with the older batteries it said like 100 miles left when I got into the Car.
    Let me guess — was it during warmer months when it was saying 100 miles? The battery doesn't work as well in cooler temperatures and it has a big effect on range. It will increase again when the weather turns warmer.

    I'll also add that the estimated range is just a guess based on how much energy your car was consuming during recent driving. It will fluctuate quite a bit depending on driving conditions (temperature, hills, freeway speeds, etc).
    Last edited by rkw; 01-08-2017 at 03:45 PM.

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    36
    Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Fiat View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 2016 Model 500-E Sport
    After I leased it at 1400 Miles it kept going into Turtle Mode Several Times
    After taking it back to the dealer they had the car 5 weeks and replaced all the Batteries
    The car has Not gone in Turtle Mode but when I charge it on my Bosh 220 volt charger I only get about 75 miles
    on a Full Charge is this Right? Before with the older batteries it said like 100 miles left when I got into the Car.
    Also I noticed that when you slow down to like a stop sign or signal the car Lurches forward like its Downshifting.
    I did not notice this before with the original Batteries in the car is this Right?
    Thanks.
    Wow, I've never seen turtle mode, but I seldom (ever?) go more than 40 miles in a day.

    I suppose if you installed a fresh battery pack in a cold climate, and used the heater a lot, the guess-o-meter (GOM) might only show 75 miles. I'd think the GOM would increase over time, unless you live in a sub-zero area and blast the heat.

    i sometimes feel "something", not really a "lurch", as I slow to a stop. I think it's when the car switches from regen braking to standard friction braking?

  13. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements
     

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-16-2016, 06:51 PM
  2. Charge time needed getting longer
    By PrincessHazMat in forum Fiat 500e
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-14-2015, 03:43 PM
  3. Scary - Down to 0 Charge
    By slotti in forum Fiat 500e
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-24-2015, 01:39 AM
  4. Free charge is too expensive
    By Craig in forum Fiat 500e
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-09-2015, 02:46 PM
  5. Do you unplug the 120V Home charge when not in use?
    By stockae92 in forum Fiat 500e
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2015, 08:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2