Overall range at different temps

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overall range at different temps

Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks

Overall range at different temps

I know one of the biggest questions I get is "how does the temperature affect your range"? Today here in Portland it's been pretty chilly the last few days with lows in the teens (15*F this morning) so I've gotten to see pretty much the worst of the range hit.

Here are the facts. My commute is ~20 miles one way with 50/50 city and highway driving. Most of the time the highway is around 55mph tops so I'm not really bombing along all that fast. When the outside temp gets below 50*F I will use the heater set at 70*F. Above that and I don't use any HVAC (well, maybe AC up into the 90's but that doesn't happen that often).

Here is a good comparison of my commute in the summer and winter.

Summer time commute (~75*F) -> use 18% battery. Overall range = 111 miles

Winter time commute (~15*F) -> use 35% battery. Overall range = 57 miles

Half the range when the temp goes down. Now I may be able to eek out a few more miles if I gut it out and not use the heater but screw that. These are also the best and worst conditions so it's not like this is the norm all the time. Here in Portland it is likely to get back into the 40's next week so things will improve some for the range.

Anyway, that's just a little FYI on what I've noticed and hopefully it lets people know about what to expect.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G0to60 For This Useful Post:

DaveN007 (01-06-2017),rkw (01-06-2017),robbobster (01-06-2017),Tangent (01-07-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I'd love to hear other people in cold climates rear world range.

Your 15 degree range has me nervous. My commute is 36-40 miles one way depending on the route I take. I will be able to charge at work but only with level 1 at this time. Worst case there are a couple free to use level 2 stations within 2 blocks of work.

My 500e is in transit so I guess I'll find out soon.

Drives
    2013 500e
    Thanks
    The main battery will use it's own power to try to heat itself to within an acceptable temp range, and that uses a lot of power. Keeping the car in a heated garage will markedly improve cold weather range.
    Fiat 500e Sport, VW TDI Sportwagen, Pontiac Solstice GXP, BMW 335i Convertible, Ducati 900 SS/CR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RNDDUDE For This Useful Post:

DaveN007 (01-12-2017)

Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RNDDUDE View Post
    The main battery will use it's own power to try to heat itself to within an acceptable temp range, and that uses a lot of power. Keeping the car in a heated garage will markedly improve cold weather range.
    Yeah, mine lives outside so it uses a lot of juice to get the battery warm and then uses a lot to keep it that way on the drive to work.

Yesterday and today the Fiat got a break because it looked like this. I think I'll take the Audi to work for the next few days.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to G0to60 For This Useful Post:

DaveN007 (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    I have a 48-mile roundtrip commute.
    70+ degree weather:
    I can drive for two days before needing to charge, with about 20% charge remaining.

<50 degree weather:
    I can make one roundtrip drive, with around 25 - 33% charge remaining.

Here's some pics of an 80mph+ drive in 40-degree weather.
    32 miles with 28% charge remaining.
    It killed my battery pretty fast...
    The low average speed indicated is due to sitting in traffic for a while once I got off the freeway. I was doing 80 - 85mph for most of the drive.

Last edited by robbobster; 01-12-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    2016 500e
    Granito Lucente
    Ciao Milano 17s
    205/40-17 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2
    ST rear swaybar

Drives
    500e/335d/C7 Z06/2017 NSX
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robbobster View Post
    I have a 48-mile roundtrip commute.
    70+ degree weather:
    I can drive for two days before needing to charge, with about 20% charge remaining.

<50 degree weather:
    I can make one roundtrip drive, with around 25 - 33% charge remaining.

Here's some pics of an 80mph+ drive in 40-degree weather.
    32 miles with 28% charge remaining.
    It killed my battery pretty fast...
    The low average speed indicated is due to sitting in traffic for a while once I got off the freeway. I was doing 80 - 85mph for most of the drive.

Do the math. When the car is drawing 31-37 kw...and you have somewhere between 21 and 24 kWh of battery...

...you can see why driving at 80+ means that you run out of juice in 60 something miles.

Same as an ICE car, just more pronounced. My 335d gets 44 mpg at 55 and about 34 at 100mph. Not bad for 420 lb/ft of torque.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveN007 View Post
    Do the math. When the car is drawing 31-37 kw...and you have somewhere between 21 and 24 kWh of battery...

...you can see why driving at 80+ means that you run out of juice in 60 something miles.

Same as an ICE car, just more pronounced. My 335d gets 44 mpg at 55 and about 34 at 100mph. Not bad for 420 lb/ft of torque.

I killed 72% of my charge to go 31 miles...how do figure I could go another 29 miles with 28% left?

The 31-37kw indicated are instant readings, not really indicative of the average output to cover the distance traveled, which would have to be greater given the remaining charge after my drive.
    2016 500e
    Granito Lucente
    Ciao Milano 17s
    ST rear swaybar

Drives
    500e/335d/C7 Z06/2017 NSX
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robbobster View Post
    I killed 72% of my charge to go 31 miles...how do figure I could go another 29 miles with 28% left?

The 31-37kw indicated are instant readings, not really indicative of the average output to cover the distance traveled, which would have to be greater given the remaining charge after my drive.
    I know that they are instant readings, but they are not far off from what is required to maintain that speed based on my experience. Unless you get REALLY close to a truck ahead of you. LOL.

My point was not about your example. Sorry if that wasn't clear. My point was that people often wonder why under best case scenarios they can't get 85 miles of range at 85 mph. If you had immediately exited the highway and the temperature had mysteriously risen to 80 degrees outside...and you drove the rest of the way on flat ground at 45mph...with the wind at your back...you might have actually gotten 29 miles more. But that wasn't my point.

By the way, how do you like your Hankooks? What pressure do you usually run them at? I have Toyo Proxes 4's on 17 x 7.5 rims. They feel much better than OEM. Effect on range has been hard to gauge with weather lately.
    Last edited by DaveN007; 01-13-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    I typically use Toyo's Proxes on my other cars. How are they on the Fiat? I will need new tires this spring and don't really want to go with another set of LRR tires but, of course, range is an issue.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveN007 View Post
    I know that they are instant readings, but they are not far off from what is required to maintain that speed based on my experience. Unless you get REALLY close to a truck ahead of you. LOL.

My point was not about your example. Sorry if that wasn't clear. My point was that people often wonder why under best case scenarios they can't get 85 miles of range at 85 mph. If you had immediately exited the highway and the temperature had mysteriously risen to 80 degrees outside...and you drove the rest of the way on flat ground at 45mph...with the wind at your back...you might have actually gotten 29 miles more. But that wasn't my point.

By the way, how do you like your Hankooks? What pressure do you usually run them at? I have Toyo Proxes 4's on 17 x 7.5 rims. They feel much better than OEM. Effect on range has been hard to gauge with weather lately.

Yeah I know you're very well-versed on these cars (and cars in general), that's why I was like "huh? when I saw your reply, but now it makes sense

I really like these Hankooks. I run 42 front/36 rear.
    What PSI are you running?

I'm sure you've noticed a big reduction in torque-steer, and I attribute most of that to the massive squirm that the OEM tires have...you can pinch the tread blocks with just your fingers, and that's not good for road feel/handling IMHO.

They're reasonably quiet, and because they're all-season tires, they're relatively compliant so the ride isn't bad at all.
    I've got a bit over 10k miles on them, and they don't show any noticeable wear...I do rotate them every 5k.
    Plus the price was reasonable.

As far as rolling resistance goes, it's not a major factor in a car's efficiency IMHO.
    A 20% reduction in rolling resistance would be quite impressive.
    Most SAE pubs I've read generally show a that a 10% reduction is rolling resistance will improve efficiency by 1% - 2%.
    So even if we guess-timate high, a 20% reduction in rolling resistance will equate to an efficiency gain of 2% - 4%...which is just 2 - 4 miles if we assume a 100 mile range to make the math easy.

I can still see over 110 miles range when the planets are aligned and traffic/weather are optimal, so honestly I don't think range should even be a consideration when buying tires. YMMV
    2016 500e
    Granito Lucente
    Ciao Milano 17s
    ST rear swaybar

15. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast