Control over Amps or charging rate.

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Control over Amps or charging rate.

Thanks

Control over Amps or charging rate.

I have a J1772 extension left over from my Smart ED. I want to use it with my Fiat but the cord is not rated for more than 15 Amps. Is there a way to dial down the Amps that the charger pulls like my Tesla can do? We have free charging in my little California beach town and I just convenience charge so I like to park in an adjacent space and leave a note that I can be unplugged anytime. The extension is also useful when a charging spots is ICED.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    There's no way to do this in the vehicle, it's driven by the charger and the handshake it has with your car when connected.
    I don't know if your cord communicates with the charger or not, but 15A seems awful low...are you sure there aren't two ratings - one for 120v, the other for 240v?
    Or is it only designed for 120v / L1?

I can't imagine a 240v cord only handling 15A...

Do you have a link to the cord you have?
    Last edited by robbobster; 04-17-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    2016 500e
    Granito Lucente
    Ciao Milano 17s
    205/40-17 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2
    Abarth front springs and Abarth/Koni struts
    500 Madness rear lowering springs with Koni yellows, Energy bumpstops
    ST rear swaybar

Drives
    500e Grigio Sport lowered
    Thanks
    Voltage rating is limited by insulation, where current (amps) is limited by wire size. Many normal extension cords are rated for higher voltages. Since the typical 120V home socket is on a 15A circuit (the limit of the breaker and wires) lots of extension cords are only made for that. Your extension cord could well be 240V capable at 15A.

The J1772 protocol has a signal pin that dictates the charging rate. There is a slim possibility that your extension cord changes the signal to limit the rate. Sure would be nice to find some original documentation though cause if it's just a dumb extension, running 30A through a 15A wire would cause some catastrophic overheating fairly quickly.

If it is just a dumb extension and you are very electrically handy and confident you might be able open up one end to set the signal appropriately. It's all documented online but probably easier just to buy a new extension if yours isn't up to it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice. It is a 14 AWG dumb cable and no way to send duty cycle to car to limit Amperage draw by charger in car. Usually the EVSE does that. I did modify the head so it would pass all the signals. I did it three years ago and believe that meant removing a resister.

Drives
    500e Grigio Sport lowered
    Thanks
    You know about the cables! Unless someone knows how to limit the charge current in the car's settings (I don't) then just buy a new 30A extension online. I support your goals!

Thanks
    I tried it at a street EVSE which put out 20 Amps and it did not get warm. I only need about a six foot extension to make it easier for my SO to charge in our garage and I just might buy a 30 Amp extension to be safe there.

Drives
    2013 500e
    Thanks
    One note: the car will dynamically talk with the EVSE to see how much power it can draw. We have a wifi enabled JuiceBox, and can adjust the current on the fly. The car will readjust it's current draw without restarting a charge cycle.

What's the current rating of your EVSE?

-J

Thanks
    The current rating of my EVSE is 30 Amps, so it sends a signal (duty cycle) to any connected car charger to draw no more than 24 Amps. It is a long story but this is how I got to my present situation. I had a 20 Amp EVSE but installed it in one of my rental units for a tenant who wanted to buy a Fiat 500e. I found a good deal on Ebay for a 30 Amp EVSE and when it arrived I found it only had a 7 ft J1772 cord. I made it work by backing into my garage with the front of the car sticking out but I couldn't close the garage door. No problem for me but then I took the Tesla on a road trip and left the Significant Other to figure out how to charge the Fiat. That was the problem I was trying to solve with my puny J1772 extension. I appreciate all the feedback and problem solving ideas from all of you. Upon reflection I realize I was looking at the problem from the wrong end of the EVSE. Today I am buying a 12 foot 10 AWG power cord and some connectors and am going to move my short EVSE to a place where the SO can easily charge the Fiat when I am gone. Problem solved and domestic tranquility repaired. LOL
    BTW compu85 how do you like the Juicebox? Are you using it on one of California's pilot programs?

Last edited by Ampster; 04-21-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Drives
    2013 500e
    Thanks
    We have 2 JuiceBoxes installed, a 40a with wifi for our '13, and our roommate has a 40a for his '15. We dialed his back to 30a, so the car draws 24a since his is on a 30a breaker. His replaced a 20a Clipper Creek he got for his '12 Leaf, which only has a 3.3kw charger.

We like them a lot. Being in Virginia there's no incentive from the power company. But we liked getting a high quality, made in USA product

-J

12. The Following User Says Thank You to compu_85 For This Useful Post:

Ampster (04-22-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
    We have 2 JuiceBoxes installed, a 40a with wifi for our '13, and our roommate has a 40a for his '15........

-J
    I like their cloud and the ability to dial them back. With so much solar coming online in California we may get to the point that we may be paid to put load on the grid for a bit in the mornings. Then I would jump on one of those.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread