Cab version of 500e powertrain

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cab version of 500e powertrain

Thanks

Cab version of 500e powertrain

Does anyone know if there are any impediments to/or future plans for FCA manufacturing a cab/lounge version of the 500e powertrain? Love our 500C Lounge, if it were an EV it would be perfect!
    2012 FIAT 500C Lounge Verde Chiaro Auto 72,000mi, 35w DDM Plus HID Kit 5500k

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    500c (Wicked Little Red Dot)
    Thanks
    I've heard the opposite, that the 500e is being discontinued because they are costly for FCA and they reached their credit limit required in Ca? Love to have heard wrong; I thought about it myself. I'm sure the drag of an open top would reduce some ev range but who would care?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to msjulie For This Useful Post:

Tedolph (04-21-2017)

rkw
    Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    FCA is done with the 500e, now that they have the Pacifica plug-in hybrid for emissions credits.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    There's no possible way the Pacifica Hybrid is selling in the numbers needed to offset the rest of their fleet's sales, especially since regs are tightening to require more actual ZEV's and fewer partial-ZEV's. FCA will be buying Teslas carbon credits once again, but the laws are tightening, so that plan won't be viable for long...I'm very curious to see how they manage to comply moving forward.
    2016 500e
    Granito Lucente
    Ciao Milano 17s
    205/40-17 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2
    Abarth front springs and Abarth/Koni struts
    500 Madness rear lowering springs with Koni yellows, Energy bumpstops
    ST rear swaybar

Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robbobster View Post
    There's no possible way the Pacifica Hybrid is selling in the numbers needed to offset the rest of their fleet's sales, especially since regs are tightening to require more actual ZEV's and fewer partial-ZEV's. FCA will be buying Teslas carbon credits once again, but the laws are tightening, so that plan won't be viable for long...I'm very curious to see how they manage to comply moving forward.
    I'm not quite sure what FCA is doing or going to do down the road. Rumors say that the 500e is done but no one is sure what can take up the slack. The Pacifica was touted to but I don't see that happening.

In the mean time they are trudging along with making cars like the Demon and Hellcat Grand Cherokee. As a car guy I love it but it's a pretty short sighted strategy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G0to60 For This Useful Post:

msjulie (04-23-2017),robbobster (04-21-2017)

rkw
    Drives
    2015 500e
    Thanks
    There's no possible way the Pacifica Hybrid is selling in the numbers needed to offset the rest of their fleet's sales
    We'll have to see, because the Pacifica Hybrid just started delivering to dealers this month. But they should sell more than enough to offset discontinuing the 500e, and still come out ahead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what FCA is doing or going to do down the road. Rumors say that the 500e is done but no one is sure what can take up the slack. The Pacifica was touted to but I don't see that happening.

In the mean time they are trudging along with making cars like the Demon and Hellcat Grand Cherokee. As a car guy I love it but it's a pretty short sighted strategy.
    Yeah they have the enthusiasts down pat, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rkw View Post
    We'll have to see, because the Pacifica Hybrid just started delivering to dealers this month. But they should sell more than enough to offset discontinuing the 500e, and still come out ahead.

There's no way a single hybrid minivan can offset the rest of their fleet.
    Every other carmaker requires multiple models to meet CA's mandate, and they also have efficient cars in their fleets.
    FCA has few efficient cars that sell in the required numbers.

But it's a moot point, because it won't be possible to meet the mandate with PZEV's.
    The rules are tightening to require actual ZEV's if they want to sell cars in CA, or states that have adopted CARB/CA emission standards.

Details here:
    http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...rder-to-ignore

Under California's zero-emission vehicle mandate, a certain percentage of an automaker's sales must be ZEVs. Automakers have been able to use partial credit from sales of hybrids and low-emissions conventional vehicles toward their ZEV quotas. But the regulations are slated to tighten in 2018 in a way that limits the impact of those partial credits and requires more sales of actual ZEVs.

So FCA will continue selling the 500e for the 2017 model year, but if rumors are true and there's no 2018 model, then it will be interesting indeed...

IMHO Sergio is betting the farm on a merger.
    I believe FCA will get to a point where they have no cars that sell in sufficient quantity to meet tightening mandates, and they can't survive by not selling cars in CA (or states that have adopted CA emission standards, which account for over a quarter of all cars sold in the US), forcing the company to liquidate and be sold to the highest bidder, basically forcing the hand that Sergio has been trying to play all along.
    There's too much equity in brands like Ram and Jeep to let them die...they will be attractive to other carmakers.

While that's just speculation on my part, the fact remains that they must have ZEV's in their fleet if they want to sell cars in CA (and related states) beyond 2017. And if the 500e dies, they have nothing in their publicly stated pipeline.
    2016 500e
    Granito Lucente
    Ciao Milano 17s
    205/40-17 Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2
    Abarth front springs and Abarth/Koni struts
    500 Madness rear lowering springs with Koni yellows, Energy bumpstops
    ST rear swaybar

12. The Following User Says Thank You to robbobster For This Useful Post:

Tedolph (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    The Pacifica hybrid is not a ZEV. Not a replacement for the 500e.

Thanks
    I wondered if perhaps it was a weight or coefficient of drag issue, but the stats speak otherwise.

The Cab version (Abarth comps) are only a couple bags of groceries heavier, and despite standing 1/2 an inch taller, have seemingly identical Cd as the hatch version (source: Fiat 500 USA).

Overall Height:

500 Abarth: 59.2 (1,502) to antenna base
    500 Abarth: 58.7 (1,490) to roof
    500c Abarth: 59.2 (1,504) to roof
    Ground Clearance:
    500 Abarth: 4.1 (103.7)
    500c Abarth: 4.6 (117.2)
    Drag Coefficient (Cd)
    500 Abarth: 0.352 — with 16-in. wheels
    500 Abarth: 0.365 — with 17-in. wheels
    500c Abarth: 0.352 — with 16-in. wheels
    500c Abarth: 0.365 — with 17-in. wheels
    2012 FIAT 500C Lounge Verde Chiaro Auto 72,000mi, 35w DDM Plus HID Kit 5500k

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Trump.

Tedolph

16. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast