Fiat 500 Forum banner

Lowering Fiat 500e

276K views 634 replies 119 participants last post by  WhiteLX 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Besides the drop amount you might want to try and match the OEM spring rates as closely as possible or your shocks won't be able to compensate.

#10 ·
Yes the car weighs more. It's got the Abarth springs and bars on the car (if I remember correctly). Easy parts bin rummaging to keep the cost of the car down and deal with the extra weight.

Have at it, but for handling I'd start with better tires and maybe wheels. Lower away, but you want a lot of roll stiffness, because the car is a lot heavier. So either stiff springs, or stiffer anti-roll bars would be a must.

#11 ·
So i just lowered my 500e on H&R lowering springs (Abarth Part Number) and i haveto say it drives like crap now. The OEM 500e springs are actually what Mopar calls "Heavy duty spec" compared to the Abarth are considered "high performance". So we are back to the drawing board. Its not only the 500lbs weight difference between the 500e and regular, it's also the weight bias. Normal 500's are a lot more nose heavy, and the Electric version is 57/43 which is much more neutral causing the suspension to be setup completely different.

Im going to try the Eibach Pro Kit Next....

Anybody want a set of H&R Springs for an Abarth that were used for 50 miles let me know :) Dont mind taking a loss on it!

#18 ·
So here are the before and after pics of the spring installation. Car handles much better with the new setup. My initial concern was that ride quality would suffer, but that is NOT the case. Feels great on the highway. I think the Koni yellows are in my future as well, just to dial it in. Our cars also have a tendency to scrape that rubber spoiler up front and I have to say that it is no worse with the car down lower as the front was always pointed down before. Now it is level. Big thanks to RND! Pics of the install need to be sorted, stay tuned.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Fiat 500

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks for testing this out and the photos guys, the cars look great. I saw your wtb post a while back and wondered if the Abarth springs worked.
This sounds like my next project.
Fiat had 2 500e's at the LA auto show today and they were both at least 1.5 to 2 inches lower than mine in the back and maybe 1" lower in front.
(Mine has just about 4 inches between the tire and fender!!!)
I don't get it, they show the car and have promo photos of it lower than you can buy it.
Here's a couple of photos from the auto show.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle City car

Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Motor vehicle

#22 ·
In some ways it's not surprising to see them showing cars off with more appealing stances at auto shows. Better looking cars sell better right? Sad though that when you go to buy one you aren't getting what you thought you were. I love my 500e so far but the fender gap is way too much for me to tolerate. I have all the parts needed to drop mine and will start turning wrenches soon. I do plan on putting some Koni yellows on the rear and adding a stock Abarth rear sway bar. I wish they would have offered different wheels in 16/17". I understand why they did what they did though. Someday electric cars will be pretty mainstream so there are lots of things that will improve over. The coming years.

Dump that hat ride people ��

#23 ·
Thanks for those photos georges. I plan on getting over to the auto show sometime next week. I think I would have been OK with the stance that are on those show floor models, but mine (like yours) seemed like it was jacked up in the back. Maybe OK for a 70's muscle car, but not for the e. On a related note, I met someone yesterday that was testing the Mercedes B class in Venice and we chatted about the cars. He was a test driver and had done some of the trials for Fiat on the 500e. Lots to talk about, but one thing he mentioned was that Eibach had made custom springs for him in the past and would make them to most any specification. I am went the route of the Abarth springs and will add the Koni yellows, but you might try the Eibach route if you want to stiffen it up a bit. We'll see what happens once the yellows go on, but I am pretty pleased with it now without them. Thanks again for the pics!

#26 ·
Any issues with the headlight being pointed more upward now? With the stock height, the headlight cut off on mine is usually just below the trunks of most cars. I'd imagine when you lower the rear more than the front, the lights would be aimed higher causing it to shine directly into someone's rearview mirror.

#28 ·
Finished the back (Abarth springs), looks bad@$$. Super easy (thank you RNDDUDE; your suggestion to take off the back wheels is dead on.

Can't find my @$$@ 18mm open ended wrench so I'll pick up the front tomorrow as soon as Home Depot opens. Really excited about this. Will post pics after.

#30 ·
Finished the back (Abarth springs), looks bad@$$. Super easy (thank you RNDDUDE; your suggestion to take off the back wheels is dead on.

Can't find my @$$@ 18mm open ended wrench so I'll pick up the front tomorrow as soon as Home Depot opens. Really excited about this. Will post pics after.
Please do. I'll be working on mine soon! Good point on the headlights, RCBOOSTED. I think I may add the HIDs and then tint too :)

#35 ·
It seriously is bad@$$. I love simple mods that make a huge improvement (thanks for your help). I highly recommend anyone thinking about taking this on to do so, its so easy and the results are great. I pretty much followed the "lowering guide" that is posted on all the Fiat forums with your recommendations.
Rear:
1. Jack up rear of car
2. Set jack stands
3. Remove rear wheels (clearance to drop suspension)
4. Support rear suspension with floor jack
5. Remove shock bolt (2 places, 1 driver side, 1 passanger side)
6. Lower suspension with jack and pull out springs
7. Remove spring "spacers/cushions" from old springs and place on new springs (don't mix up tops and bottoms). Make sure spring ends are in the slots.
8. Remove bump stops (2 places)
9. Cut 1" off bottom of the bump stops (2 places)
10. Install modified bump stops
11. Place springs back in suspension - note there is an orientation to match up on the bottom
12. Raise suspension
13. Install 2 bolts, torque (think it was 75ft-lbs)
14. Install wheels, torque (star pattern)
15. Jack up car
16. remove jack stands
17. lower car

Front:
1. open hood
2. snap off windshield wiper plastic covers 2 places (remove from left side, right side is tabed in)
3. remove plastic caps on windshield wipers 2 places
4. remove windshield wiper nuts 2 places
5. push down on windshield wiper and pull off 2 places
6. remove 3 plastic expansion pins and pull down and rock out plastic trim, don't need to remove hoses. just slide up out of the way
7. pull of shock tower caps 2 places
8. remove 19mm shock tower bolt and cap, 2 places
9. loosen 18mm spring/shock cap bolt, 2 places
10. jack up front of car
11. place jack stands
12. remove wheels (2 places)
13. remove brake line from shock assy (2 places)
14. remove spring clip from shock assy (2 places)
15. remove sensor line from shock assy (2 places)
16. loosen 16mm nut from sway bar (2 places), don't remove
17. support suspension (2 places)
18. remove 15mm/17mm bolts from lower shock tower (4 places)
19. remove 16mm sway bar nut, may have to raise suspension with jack
20. wiggle out and remove shock assy (2 places)
21. remove 18mm bolt from shock tower, spring will jump up, be careful, spring compressor not required (2 places)
22. remove spring from shock (2 places)
23. remove shock boot from spring (2 places)
24. remove bump stop (2 places)
25. cut 1" off top of bump stop (larger side)
26. Install bump stop on shock (2 places)
27. Install boot on new spring (2 places)
28. Install new spring on shock, check orientation to make sure spring end is in the correct cutout locations (2 places)
29. Install shock/spring cap and 18mm bolt, torque down(2 places)
30. Install shock assy into car (2 places)
31. Install 17mm/15mm bolts, torque to 55 ft lbs (4 places)
32. Install brake line (front side of shock, 2 places)
33. Install brake sensor (front side of shock, 2 places)
34. Install spring clip (2 places)
35. Install sway bar 16mm nut loosely, may require raising suspension ( 2 places)
36. Install shock tower cap and 19mm bolt loosely (2 places)
37. torque down 16mm sway bar nut (2 places), may have to raise suspension with jack
38. tighten down 19mm nut on shock tower cap (2 places)
39. install wheels (2 places) and torque
40. raise front of car
41. removed jack stands
42. lower car
43. check 19mm nut (2 places)
44. instal shock tower cap (2 places)
45. slide plastic trim piece back, get all clips to line up , 2 chasis studs on outside
46. install 3 plastic expansion pins
47. install windhshield wipers (2 places)
48. install windshield wiper nuts (2 places)
49. install plastic caps (2 places)
50. install plastic covers (2 places)
51. shut hood.

#38 ·
Before Shots

After
Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel City car

Measurements Before the drop
Rear- Ground to Fender - 26 3/4". ( Tire Gap 4"!!!!)
Rear - Ground to rear bumper diffuser 12"
Front- Ground to Fender - 25 3/4" ( Tire Gap 3 1/4")
Front - Ground to Splitter - 4 7/8"

Measurement After drop
Rear- Ground to Fender - 24 1/4". ( Tire Gap 1 1/2" :eek:)
Rear - Ground to rear bumper diffuser 9 1/4"
Front- Ground to Fender - 24 1/4" ( Tire Gap 1 3/4")
Front - Ground to Splitter - 3 3/4"

Front Drop= 1.5"
Rear Drop = 2 5/8"
Havent driven it much but it feels very good on the short drive I took. Very ssmooth and I don't think it's harsher than stock. Flatter for sure and better turn in response.

It looks SO MUCH Better than stock. It looks much better than the pictures show.

Attachments

#39 ·
That does look very good.

I wonder why the stock height is so extreme.

Before Shots
View attachment 28569
View attachment 28553
After
View attachment 28561
View attachment 28577
Measurements Before the drop
Rear- Ground to Fender - 26 3/4". ( Tire Gap 4"!!!!)
Rear - Ground to rear bumper diffuser 12"
Front- Ground to Fender - 25 3/4" ( Tire Gap 3 1/4")
Front - Ground to Splitter - 4 7/8"

Measurement After drop
Rear- Ground to Fender - 24 1/4". ( Tire Gap 1 1/2" :eek:)
Rear - Ground to rear bumper diffuser 9 1/4"
Front- Ground to Fender - 24 1/4" ( Tire Gap 1 3/4")
Front - Ground to Splitter - 3 3/4"

Front Drop= 1.5"
Rear Drop = 2 5/8"
Havent driven it much but it feels very good on the short drive I took. Very ssmooth and I don't think it's harsher than stock. Flatter for sure and better turn in response.

It looks SO MUCH Better than stock. It looks much better than the pictures show.

#40 ·
Stock 'e's are high to protect the battery pack from hitting the ground on big bumps, and to make hitting road debris potentially less damaging to the battery packs (think tesla fires). As with lowering any car, there are things you need to change in your driving habits...speed bumps have to be taken very slowly or at an angle, running over road debris is to be avoided at all costs, other than losing control of course. I think that the range is slightly improved with this mod due to less air passing under the car.

#41 ·
Raised it back to stock. Everyone in my house is driving the car and the kids aren't very good about exiting the driveway carefully before the drop. After the drop it requires an extreme angle to get out without scraping the front end. My wife suggested I put it back up and I had to agree. It looked a little silly leaving the driveway like I was driving a slammed tuner car. Hehe. I did like the way the car handled and looked. I'd consider a nice set of coilovers with the correct spring rates so I can control the height and make sure the ride was as good or better than stock. I'll be posting my Abarth springs for sale in the classifieds.

#42 ·
Another one done!

I worked on it on Friday afternoon. Looks great. The back went down 2", didn't check the front.
My airdam would hit going up the driveway before lowering so I'm used to going in at an angle.
Dips driveways and speedbumps all need more care. If it gets too bad with me and my daughter driving it I may have to raise it back up also.

Before

Just the back
Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Motor vehicle

after
Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Fiat 500

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.