Fiat 500 Forum banner

Blue & Me firmware update, have you done it?

46K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  canadakyleholmes 
#1 ·
There is a site with the firmware and procedure to update Blue & Me. The current version is apparently 7.

Anyone done this? Anyone know how to check your version in the car?

The version 7 came out this year, so someone must have done this.

Greg

#2 ·
I checked for my Sport and latest version was I think 5.6.

#7 ·
Update, when you do step 1, it does indeed say "updating" on the dash, apparently the default message any time the system reads a "system" usb stick.

I did step 1 this morning, it took about 5 seconds... clearly it did not update the Blue and Me firmware in that time!''

It created a new file BMConf.xml on the USB stick.

Here's what was in the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<BlueAndMeInfo>
<CarType>500</CarType>
<Configuration>ZZZZZ</Configuration>
<BDaddr>29019_20_2377</BDaddr>
</BlueAndMeInfo>

Now I'll see if anything is revealed with the BDaddr field. Nothing looks obvious yet.

Greg

#8 ·
So now IIRC you go back to the Bluetooth site and plug in the usb stick and it'll tell you if you have the latest version and what version you have. Mine has the latest version which is 5.6.

#9 ·
Correct, just did it, and it says: "the Blue&Me analysis carried out on your car shows that no software updates are required"...

Bummer, was hoping to see the version... maybe there is some unexplored menu somewhere :)

So now, if anyone has figured out how to display the B&M version, please let me know.

Greg

#10 ·
Well, I believe I stand corrected. Apparently I have version 5.5. I tried to install 5.6 and I got a usb data configuration error. The Blue and me website says if you get that message no update was installed. If it had been installed then it would have said "update completed"

#12 · (Edited)
OK, so, after being told that I don't need an update, I see the screen where I can download 5.5 and 5.6.

going to try it (5.6)....

OK, get "error in configuring usb data", going to reformat the usb stick and try again, but since this stick worked fine running the app that gets the config data, I suspect that we cannot update our cars.

Also, there's talk that version 7 is out, but looks like the site only has 5.5 and 5.6

Greg

#13 ·
OK, now I know way too much!

First, version 8 of the B&M is out.

If you share your XML file, I think you will find that yours has that "ZZZZZ" in it, which means basically you cannot update.

I found more information on the configuration code that should be there, or at least one close (Fiat 500, second generation tom tom, english language)

Editing the XML file allowed me to run the step 2 again and now I was presented with the version 8 download.

Now, when trying to update the car with version 8, I get the famous USB error 10...

Now analyzing the log file it wrote... I'm going to have to start a page on my web site on this, it's getting too complex to keep on a forum.

Greg

#21 ·
Guys just like playing with this stuff, even if the firmware might not be for our exact car. Personally, I wouldn't touch it unless you are having issues. The Blue & Me voice recognition works great especially now that I see what junk Honda sold me in a brand new top of the line CRV touring. I can't believe a 3 year newer car which just got a huge update could have such bad programming.

#22 ·
Just paired my phone yesterday and realized that we can't (currently?) play media via bluetooth, so it seems to me that Blue&Me is only for basic phone communication (handfree), am I understanding this correctly?

If so, two questions:

- what kinda issues are you facing with B&M currently?
- And any chance that these updates could allow direct media control via bluetooth?

Thanks!

BB

#24 ·
Do a search on this forum. There's a Bluetooth music adapter that plugs into the glovebox usb and audio in. It is under $10.

I have one. Works great.

Reactions: karl roth
#26 ·
Search on Amazon for this or something like it:

[h=1]BestDealUSA USB Bluetooth 3.5mm Stereo Audio Music Receiver Adapter for Speaker iPhone Mp3[/h]

#29 ·
The only bug I've encountered is that audio will often just randomly stop playing from my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.x) through the lightning cable into USB. I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in, then select the audio source again to get the audio to return.

When it goes mute, the iPhone doesn't pause the playback. iOS always pauses playback when you disconnect audio out or the headphone jack. This leads me to believe the problem isn't on the iOS side, but on the Blue & Me side.

Would love to have a bug fix for this. Too bad this firmware update isn't working for US cars!

#30 ·
Hi Greg- did you figure out a way to get blue and me updates for North American cars? My fiat studio replaced my Bluetooth module and now the tomtom will not connect to the blue and me. It's like it has no idea it is there. The fiat repair people mention that the proxi setting flash would solve everything, but it didn't. I'm thinking that it needs the software with that file that lets it know that a tomtom is installed. Whenever I do the use update, I get the use error code 10. Any update or guidance would be helpful. Thanks, Kyle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.