Handling difference - Pop & Sport
NEWS

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handling difference - Pop & Sport

Thanks

Handling difference - Pop & Sport

Hello all - I have the Fiat 500 on my very short list of new car choices. Here's my dilemma: I like a sport-tuned ride in my vehicles so the Sport model appeals to me. The problem is that the price of the Sport model comes within dollars of my other choice, the VW Golf. The Golf has more space, handles very well, has more power and is more of a known entity here in the states (better for resale, repair, etc.). After thinking this through, I reasoned that a Pop might fit the bill while tilting the financial decision in favor of the Fiat.

My question: how close is the handling of the Pop to the Sport? Judged only on suspension, ride firmness and handling, does the Pop satisfy as well as the Sport in spirited driving? I'm not looking for all-out performance (I have another car for that), I just want to have some fun in my daily driving around town. Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    OK, so aside from the obvious 'go take a test drive'....here we go.

There is a definite difference between the sport and the pop ride, but the Fiat 500 is such a light car, that even the softer pop has a more fun factor than most cars. That said, the 500 has you sitting pretty upright, so you really feel if it starts leaning at all in tight corners (at speed...the thing turns like its on rails under 25 mph), which the sport does much less.

My real concern is if you would be happy with the look of the POP, more than its handling. I know you said you have a car to do the sports car thing, but in a daily driver, are you going to be happy in a very basic car. You can go get stiffer/lower springs for under $300 at 500madness, but the POP looks very much like a economy car. The little accents of the Sport do make a big difference in the cars look, which may very well impact how happy you end up being with your purchase.

Drives
    Auto Sport / 2012 / Azzurro
    Thanks
    IMHO, the Sport looks better than either the Pop or the Lounge. I'm very happy it's priced the way it is.

I didn't test drive a Pop, but I come from a Volvo C30 T5 and trust me - the Sport feels far, far, FAR better than the Volvo during spirited driving. It's just a lot more fun. The only thing the Volvo did better was straight line cruising at high speeds... that, and putting me to sleep

Thanks
    The sport looks the best, but I honestly preferred the feel and handling of the pop/lounge cars. I found that the Sport really bounced around the highway, while the higher up cars cruised smoothly. Yes, because you sit so high up it feels like the car is leaning dramatically into turns, but it never releases it's grip on the road. Great handling little car
    May 29th Ordered: 2012 500c Lounge 5 spd Manual, Verde Chiaro, brown leather interior, ivory trim, beige roof. Spare tire & Navigation.

Drives
    2012 5 speed bianco sport
    Thanks
    here is my take. i had plenty of cash to buy either version, so it was a matter of preference and value for my tastes.

i think the handling difference between the pop and sport isnt that much different, and i test drove them both extensively. i found more of a difference between the steering in sport mode vs regular mode in either car. I also very much dislike that they glued skirts to the side of the sport. most people would look at the pop or sport and see the same car. they really do not look much different. 95% of the car is the same.

i liked the look of the fiat 500. a little different grill and lower rear bumper on the sport version didnt make me like it more. in fact the useless plastic skirts glued to the side made me prefer the look of the pop over the sport.

in the end, i chose the pop. saving $2000 was just a side benefit. i have lots of fun taking in hard in the corners when i want to and i get to enjoy the less harsh ride when i am just driving for normal purposes, which is what most of us are doing a vast majority of the time.

at $15,500, the fiat 500 is a terrific value. at $17,500 it is less so and didnt offer anything (to me) that justified that $2000 extra. others feels that it does.

i also looked hard at the vw golf. i couldnt get over the mediocre mileage, and the one that gets stellar mileage is well north of $20,000.
    Last edited by panther76; 07-04-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    In my experience you don't need the Sport to get spirited handling and tenacious road grip. I test drove the Sport and much prefer my Pop -- traded my 3-year-old MINI two months ago. In fact, if you don't plan to spend any time on the race track, the Fiat 500 will perform every bit as well as the MINI in all kinds of highway driving. Yes, the Golf is a fine car, but don't forget that on average the 500 betters the Golf by 7 mpg or so. Okay, that's only 5 bucks on a 300-mile trip, but...

Thanks

Thumbs up

Glad to hear you like the Fiats ride, I really find it a fun zip around car. As a daily commuter its hard to be it, especially at the Pop price point.

Thanks
    On the looks, you'll have to decide for yourself. I bought a Pop for the looks, not for the economy. IMO, the Sport is the least cosmetically pleaseing 500 model.

You could split the difference: buy a Pop and just leave it in sport mode!

Ryan

Thanks
    Another vote for the Pop, mine being a 500C Pop.

Only thing I really wish I were getting that I can't with a manual 500C is the auto climate.

Drives
    Auto Sport / 2012 / Azzurro
    Thanks
    If I got the Pop, I'd use the 2,000 I saved and buy a set of coilovers and 15" old-school wheels.

That'd be the best of both worlds. It'd be better than the Sport, I bet.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements