Fiat Recall Addressing Well Known "Clutch" Failures, or so it seems to me. - Page 17

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Fiat Recall Addressing Well Known "Clutch" Failures, or so it seems to me.

Thanks
    Question for the ones who got the clutch pedal assembly replaced: does the new part number appear in the order? if so, can someone provide it?
    thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    500 Sport/2012/Azzurro
    Thanks
    My experience so far, a bit of a nightmare.

I dropped my car off last week to have a potentially failed alternator diagnosed and have the recall performed. Friday morning my service adviser calls me to let me know they have completed the recall on my car and that my alternator and battery will have to be replaced. I was able to source one from a wrecker and dropped it off at the dealership Saturday afternoon. On Monday morning I called in to look for an update on my car. The service adviser I spoke with last week is on vacation, and the new adviser I'm speaking to informs me that I will also need a new starter, oh, and that my car will no longer go into gear. I have never had any issues with the car going into gear. He tells me they will take a closer look and call me back. Which he does, and now informs me that my clutch is toast...

The adviser I spoke with on Friday told me that the recall had been performed and didn't mention anything about my clutch failing or anything about not being able to get the car in gear. Now all of a sudden, after the recall has been performed, my clutch is completely toast and the car is undrivable?! I know clutch life can vary on these cars, but I have never experienced any slippage, grinding or inability to put the car in gear. Aside from the alternator slowly dying, the car drove perfectly fine.

I don't see how my clutch would suddenly fail, right after I've handed my car over to the dealer.

-Car handed over to dealer
    -Recall performed
    -Service adviser calls to confirm all went well
    -Call back next week to be told that now the clutch is completely gone and the car won't go into gear, after recall had been performed.

I've contacted FCA Customer Care and they've agreed to look into it. I certainly hope they can help get this mess all sorted out.
    2012 FIAT 500 Sport- Azzurro/Brown, 5 speed manual
    -V-Maxx coilovers -KW shocks
    -16x8 ET+25 Avid 1 AV 12 wheels
    -205/40/16 Kumho Ecsta AST
    -Abarth steering wheel/custom dyed stitching
    -500Madness GoPedal and Sila short ram intake
    -5000K HID headlights - 3000K HID fogs

2004 Nissan Xterra 3.3L 4x4, 5 speed manual
    - The Beast

Hidden Content

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Obviosly it can't be the clutch since you drove it in and clutches don't fail sitting in a parking lot. I suspect that the clutch pedal was installed incorectly and isn't fully depressing the master piston.

Tedolph
    Last edited by Tedolph; 01-10-2017 at 04:02 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedolph For This Useful Post:

Azzurro (01-11-2017),Fabio13 (01-12-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzurro View Post
    My experience so far, a bit of a nightmare.

I dropped my car off last week to have a potentially failed alternator diagnosed and have the recall performed. Friday morning my service adviser calls me to let me know they have completed the recall on my car and that my alternator and battery will have to be replaced. I was able to source one from a wrecker and dropped it off at the dealership Saturday afternoon. On Monday morning I called in to look for an update on my car. The service adviser I spoke with last week is on vacation, and the new adviser I'm speaking to informs me that I will also need a new starter, oh, and that my car will no longer go into gear. I have never had any issues with the car going into gear. He tells me they will take a closer look and call me back. Which he does, and now informs me that my clutch is toast...

The adviser I spoke with on Friday told me that the recall had been performed and didn't mention anything about my clutch failing or anything about not being able to get the car in gear. Now all of a sudden, after the recall has been performed, my clutch is completely toast and the car is undrivable?! I know clutch life can vary on these cars, but I have never experienced any slippage, grinding or inability to put the car in gear. Aside from the alternator slowly dying, the car drove perfectly fine.

I don't see how my clutch would suddenly fail, right after I've handed my car over to the dealer.

-Car handed over to dealer
    -Recall performed
    -Service adviser calls to confirm all went well
    -Call back next week to be told that now the clutch is completely gone and the car won't go into gear, after recall had been performed.

I've contacted FCA Customer Care and they've agreed to look into it. I certainly hope they can help get this mess all sorted out.
    1. Go check your car and confirm that the clutch pedal pressure is high and it won't go into gear.
    2. If so, it's likely that the clutch pressure plate failed(the reason for the recall) and it should be repaired under warranty.
    3. DO NOT LOOSE SIGHT OF YOUR CLUTCH if they tell you it's worn, ask for the original part and ensure it's actually worn. Don't accept "clutch is toast" as a description of the problem, ask the dealer to be specific.
    4. AGAIN, your car has the symptoms that started the recall in the first place and if the pressure plate failed, it has to be replaced under warranty.

Drives
    500 Sport/2012/Azzurro
    Thanks
    Update: I knew it was next to impossible for my clutch to suddenly go right after I dropped it off.

They buggered up the recall!

Installed the assembly incorrectly and it wasn't allowing the clutch to engage. I've been told all has been corrected, and that the car is ready to be picked up.

- The Beast

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Azzurro For This Useful Post:

Fabio13 (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    Update: I knew it was next to impossible for my clutch to suddenly go right after I dropped it off.

Installed the assembly incorrectly and it wasn't allowing the clutch to engage. I've been told all has been corrected, and that the car is ready to be picked up.
    Very glad to hear that.

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks

Told you so.

Tedolph has never been wrong.

ever.

Tedolph

Drives
    500 Sport/2012/Azzurro
    Thanks
    Looks like it's not over.

I picked the car up. Yeah the clutch is lighter and catches lower but I could hardly care less about that. It will go into gear, but not without Hulk strength and luck on your side. Shifting between gears, getting up to speed was a gamble. I had to fight to put it in any gear. Downshifting, near impossible. Clutch in, summon all my strength to pull it into neutral, look for a lower gear, summon all my strength again, pray, and hope it goes in. As someone who enjoys the little things like a crisp downshift or heel-toing, this feels like utter **** and flat out dangerous. Obviously something hasn't been installed correctly or the new assembly is defective, and that's leaving me perplexed. I've been told they perform 2 of these recalls a day. Why is mine so messed up afterwards??

My recall has been performed and my car now feels more dangerous than before. The drive home was nerve wracking. Got honked at 3 different times struggling to get it in gear. Frankly I'm surprised they released it to me in that condition! I'll be dropping it off again tomorrow. Since my alternator kicked it on Christmas eve, the car has been out of commission for close to 4 weeks. Was looking forward to getting it back today, so I'm pretty bummed out as you can imagine.

- The Beast

Hidden Content

Drives
    500 Sport/2012/Azzurro
    Thanks
    This is unbelievable. NOW it's suddenly shifting fine. More notchy than before the recall, but fine. It's only been sitting not even an hour. Can anyone explain?

- The Beast

Hidden Content

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio