Just hit 86,000 miles, what should I look out for?

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just hit 86,000 miles, what should I look out for?

Thanks

Just hit 86,000 miles, what should I look out for?

Bought the car new in August of 2011, put 32,000 miles on it since May 1st and now at 86,000 miles. Both front ball joints have been upgraded to the newer spec, alternator is new as of a few weeks ago, brakes were replaced last summer, and new shocks/struts/springs are in the works once the snow is gone for good.

Is there anything specific to look out for on a higher mileage car? The official service intervals seem pretty generic, and I can't find any mention of trouble spots like some cars have (ie. change the timing chain/belt at 60K, etc).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    12 sport white
    Thanks
    I have original timing belt at 135k miles right now. Watch out for wheel hubs that may go out soon and allignment. For the allignment I needed to buy shims to get the rear to specs since its non-adjustable. Door handle and rear hatch problems are common.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dabears For This Useful Post:

3DSteve (03-24-2017)

Thanks
    I believe the timing belt should be changed at 152,000 if my memory serves me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to I want one For This Useful Post:

3DSteve (03-24-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    Lounge/2012/pistacio or such
    Thanks
    Sell!!!!!! Jk.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midwayfiat1 For This Useful Post:

3DSteve (03-24-2017),Tedolph (03-21-2017)

Super Moderator
    Drives
    Black-on-Black Abarth
    Thanks
    My car has about 96k miles on it.

At 100k miles, I'll replace all the fluids, get another oil change and new tires, moving to size 205/45/R17 (to fill the wheel well gap a bit more -my car is lowered and has 5mm wheel spacers).

Last week, I rotated the tires and got an oil change. I have about 4K miles left of tread wear. The tires now are size 215/40/R17. Next weekend, I'm participating in the Fiat On The Dragon event in Townsend, TN, where I expect to drive in a spirited manner. When I return from the trip, I'll have about 100k on the odometer.

That's assuming I get my car back in time. Yup, a minor calamity befell yesterday. The clutch failed and AAA towed the car for me to Christian Brothers Automotive. Pushed the clutch to shift from 3rd to 4th gear and the pedal went all the way to floor with no resistance, nor returning to the pedal's original position. No forewarning.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Heath For This Useful Post:

3DSteve (03-24-2017)

Thanks
    My ABS/ESC warning lights have come on. Intermittently at first, I thought it was just the bitter cold we had one day, but now it's full time. I'm pretty sure it's a bad sensor, but code readers that can check ABS codes on this car are not common. Found one for $130, which is only like $40 more than a dealer diagnosis, but the body shop my dad takes his cars to says they might be able to do it. I'll know tomorrow.

If the weather was warmer I'd just replace the sensors myself, they're only about $15 each, but no garage and no spare car right now. I want to take the brakes apart to inspect and clean the pads anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears View Post
    I have original timing belt at 135k miles right now. Watch out for wheel hubs that may go out soon and allignment. For the allignment I needed to buy shims to get the rear to specs since its non-adjustable. Door handle and rear hatch problems are common.
    The roads are ridiculously rough here, but the alignment has been holding surprisingly well over the years. Right rear toe is out of spec by a hair, but I may buy the shims myself and have the tire store install them when I get the alignment checked again. They had adjustable bolts to bring the fronts into spec, but apparently they must not stock anything for the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by I want one View Post
    I believe the timing belt should be changed at 152,000 if my memory serves me.
    Not sure if I'll have it at 152K LOL I have a couple interviews this week, so my commute might go from 65 miles each way to 2-5 miles. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by midwayfiat1 View Post
    Sell!!!!!! Jk.
    Thought about it, but it's not worth a whole lot anymore lol Nothing out there really tickles my fancy right now; I like the new VW wagon, but the doors are a bit narrow for my a man of my... physique. The Golf has this big steering column that my knees smack into, and I assume the wagon is similar.

Actually I do like that small Buick SUV. I had a 500X as a rental car last year, and I liked it, but I'm not putting myself through these reliability issues again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Heath View Post
    My car has about 96k miles on it.

At 100k miles, I'll replace all the fluids, get another oil change and new tires, moving to size 205/45/R17 (to fill the wheel well gap a bit more -my car is lowered and has 5mm wheel spacers).

Last week, I rotated the tires and got an oil change. I have about 4K miles left of tread wear. The tires now are size 215/40/R17. Next weekend, I'm participating in the Fiat On The Dragon event in Townsend, TN, where I expect to drive in a spirited manner. When I return from the trip, I'll have about 100k on the odometer.

That's assuming I get my car back in time. Yup, a minor calamity befell yesterday. The clutch failed and AAA towed the car for me to Christian Brothers Automotive. Pushed the clutch to shift from 3rd to 4th gear and the pedal went all the way to floor with no resistance, nor returning to the pedal's original position. No forewarning.
    I might have a go at lowering the car this summer, but the roads here are just a bit too rough. If I end up moving later this year I almost certainly will. Wheels and tires same thing; bored with the looks of the stock Sports, but they are holding up great and I don't want to subject 17's to these potholes.

13. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread