Air Conditioning
NEWS

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioning

Thanks

Air Conditioning

Now that it is 95 here in southern california, I see a weak point in this car. Air conditioning will not cool car in 95 degrees. Not good in traffic. Better at speed. Compressor capacity too small. Kind of a dumb mistake for Fiat for a U.S. car. The Smart and the Mini are great in this department. Thank God it is not humid!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mauleskyrocket View Post
    Now that it is 95 here in southern california, I see a weak point in this car. Air conditioning will not cool car in 95 degrees. Not good in traffic. Better at speed. Compressor capacity too small. Kind of a dumb mistake for Fiat for a U.S. car. The Smart and the Mini are great in this department. Thank God it is not humid!!
    Compressor capacity has nothing to do with it. If you understood air conditioning and how it works you would know that. BTW mine worked fine today in 90+ degree heat in Redding.

Dave

BTW I have twisted wrenches for over 30 years.......I know what I'm talking about.
    Prima #241 owner, certified gearhead.
    1958 600 #100140330106
    Porsche, VW and Fiat spoken here!
    http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/64019.png

Thanks
    Well if you know then tell me why in 95 degrees and stop and go traffic, the car is cool but not really. Would never make Vegas in summer. I don't know as much as you genius, but I know my Jeep Rubi and Audi A5 and 1995 Bentley were cold today. If you are going to comment don't criticize --- try to be helpful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mauleskyrocket For This Useful Post:

leanchopps (07-30-2013)

Thanks
    My guess is that the fan inside the car doesn't have enough circulation to really cool the car. This is a pretty good write up on how AC works.

http://www.airconcars.com/html/how_it_works.html

Unlike heat, AC seems to require a bigger airflow to actually cool things down. Every Italian car I have owned has suffered from this. Unfortunately its still cold in DC so I haven't been able to tell if its fixed in the 500...

Thanks
    Well if you know then tell me why in 95 degrees and stop and go traffic, the car is cool but not really. Would never make Vegas in summer. I don't know as much as you genius, but I know my Jeep Rubi and Audi A5 and 1995 Bentley were cold today. If you are going to comment don't criticize --- try to be helpful.
    The compressor compresses gas to a liquid. The liquid becoming gas again in the evaporator becomes cool. The fan blows air through the evaporator what cold air you get. If you have the unit on recirculate you are cooling cooler air in the cabin. On VERY hot days this works best. If you are pulling in 95 degree outside air and trying to cool it you are overworking the system.

The other thing to understand is the size of your other cars. They can have a oversized AC system that could freeze you out and likely do. The tiny system in a tiny car I think works very well for an "economy car". If you want lousy AC try a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. My wife has one and it is VERY poor.

Sorry if I sounded nasty it was not my intent.
    Prima #241 owner, certified gearhead.
    1958 600 #100140330106
    Porsche, VW and Fiat spoken here!
    http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/64019.png

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 777joee For This Useful Post:

KJB500 (03-23-2013)

Thanks
    Thank you. Sorry too for getting cheeky.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I am supposed to take delivery this week. I'm in Phoenix. I'll get Huper Optik tint for the windows but don't want to deal with a crap AC system. I had a Honda Fit and it had a horrible system for the desert. Even on recirc, when it is hot and the intense sun is blazing through the windows, you need a system that works. If anyone else has info on this, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks
    I live in Florida and it's always hot and humid. Until today the a/c has worked great. I keep my 500 in a garage, but today I turned it on and it never even got cool. I normally will turn the fan to '2' on the dial and it's enough to cool it nicely. But today, no such luck. I turned it up to full blast at '4' and after a 30 minute ride the it hadn't cooled at all. I was miserable going into work. I'm hoping it's something simple & not a compressor or something.

Drives
    Abarth/2013/Grigio
    Thanks
    Strange, I do NOT have that problem and I live in Central Florida where the temp is still in the 90's and the humidity isn't far behind. Perhaps you should have your studio/dealer check the charge in the AC system.

I also had Pinnacle ceramic tint added to all windows except windshield, including sunroof.
    Last edited by SeaDawg; 09-28-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Drives
    Abarth/2013/Grigio
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lonebison View Post
    I live in Florida and it's always hot and humid. Until today the a/c has worked great. I keep my 500 in a garage, but today I turned it on and it never even got cool. I normally will turn the fan to '2' on the dial and it's enough to cool it nicely. But today, no such luck. I turned it up to full blast at '4' and after a 30 minute ride the it hadn't cooled at all. I was miserable going into work. I'm hoping it's something simple & not a compressor or something.
    Most likely a small leak which has finally caused the refrigerant gas charge to drop below critical level resulting in loss of cooling. Of course it could be compressor or even just a blown fuse. You don't say where in Florida....I'm in Orlando. Have your studio check it out, surely it is still under warranty, so whatever the cause it should be taken care of.

I keep my 500 Sport garaged also. I have the Auto Climate Control system, which so far is operating normally.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements