Towing my 500 manual transmission
NEWS

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Towing my 500 manual transmission

Thanks

Question Towing my 500 manual transmission

Wondering how easy this is to tow 4 wheels on the pavement and if anyone has found a good hitch set up that works well for it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Got to tell you guys the story I was told at my studio ( Findlay Fiat Henderson, NV )the last time I was there. Seems a RV owner from AZ decided to tow his new Fiat behind his RV, went about 30 miles down the road and couldn't figure out why there was a large cloud of black smoke coming from behind his rig so he pulls off the road to discover his two front tires on fire and burnt to the ground! Seems he left the car engaged in first gear and he not only ruined/melted his rotors, tires and suspension but completely destroyed his engine. I saw it being torn down, the exhaust and intake had melted to the block and they had to use a chisel and hammer to remove them. it had gotten so hot that the back of the camshaft had turned a burnt blue from the heat. Think I'd use a tow dolly myself
    Sila short ram CIA, Tork tune, RRM sway bar, hood vent / extended rear spoiler and race brake pads, H1 Performance track towing hooks / harness bar with 5 point harness, street tires Federal 595 racing tires/ Hoosier A6 and R6 205/45/16 tires, Apex track-studs, KW1 suspension, H1 Performance alignment / corner balance short shift adapter custom striping Madness 500 exhaust , hood brace, torque mount bushing.

Drives
    2013 Grigio FIAT 500 Abarth
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,869 Posts
    Welcome to the forum, I do not know anything about towing (except to not leave it in gear) but we have some here that will reply with some info for you sometime soon.

On the FIAT dragging for 30 miles...Gotta feel bad for them having just destroyed a new car and all but that is I would imagine one of the things you would check and double-check if you were towing. Like to see pics or video of that, you'd think someone would have flagged him down before he got that far!

Drives
    Lounge 2013 Rosso Brilliante
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jack&sue View Post
    Got to tell you guys the story I was told at my studio ( Findlay Fiat Henderson, NV )the last time I was there. Seems a RV owner from AZ decided to tow his new Fiat behind his RV, went about 30 miles down the road and couldn't figure out why there was a large cloud of black smoke coming from behind his rig so he pulls off the road to discover his two front tires on fire and burnt to the ground! Seems he left the car engaged in first gear and he not only ruined/melted his rotors, tires and suspension but completely destroyed his engine. I saw it being torn down, the exhaust and intake had melted to the block and they had to use a chisel and hammer to remove them. it had gotten so hot that the back of the camshaft had turned a burnt blue from the heat. Think I'd use a tow dolly myself
    Wouldn't think that was a Fiat issue rather a lack of common sense.

Gerhard

Drives
    H.A.M.
    Thanks
    the manual says that with the stick shift you CAN four-wheel tow, but remember to be in neutral and handbrake off of course. your issue is going to be with finding the tow bar that fits and how to mount it.
    people have done it and one of them should chime in soon. if not there are many threads started already about towing the Fiats. Good luck and let us know how you do!
    (\/)
    (Oo)
    o(")(") Rabbit Season!

Drives
    2013 Abarth
    Thanks
    http://www.etrailer.com/towbar-2012_Fiat_500.htm

as I understand it, althought i haven' done it, the Fiat 500 with the manual tranny can be flat towed just fine...as for the guy that dragged his brand new Fiat for 30 miles..thats just stupid
    2012 Fiat Pop 5 Speed (Sold), 2012 Fiat Pop Automatic (Sold)

2014 Fiat 500L (Wife's Car), 2013 Fiat Abarth (MINE!!)

Drives
    2012 500c Grigio/Bordeaux/Ross
    Thanks
    Check out the May 2012 Motorhome magazine. It has a great step by step 6 page article on installing a roadmaster base plate on the 12 500 yellow sport. Here is the link to a summary of it.http://www.motorhome.com/top-stories...rns-to-the-us/

Drives
    2013 Fiat Lounge - white
    Thanks
    Hi Joe Fiat, I am planning to tow my 2013 Fiat 500 Lounge, manual transimission behind our motorhome. I am wondering if you have tried to tow yours since posting this ? I would appreciate any info you have. Specifically I am wondering about having to unlock the front wheels / steering. The Blue Ox hitch states you have to, but the dealer states it is not necessary. Looking for some on the ground feedback.

Thanks
    Of COURSE you have to unlock the steering wheel for towing...you have to turn the key to the position that unlocks the steering wheel. Before you tow, take a good look at what you are about to do...common sense in this situation will guide you well. Why on earth would you want the steering wheel locked when towing? Unless you want to destroy your car, of course the wheels have to be free to not only roll but to turn. Whomever at the dealer gave you such dangerously unsafe information should be fired.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements