Step by Step 2012 Fiat 500 Oil Change
NEWS

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Step by Step 2012 Fiat 500 Oil Change

Thanks

Step by Step 2012 Fiat 500 Oil Change

My first oil change on my new Fiat 500 Sport was a two hour affair. In order to cut out the guesswork for other doityourselfers, here is a rundown of the procedure.
    1. Remove plastic engine shroud. Just pull up on it and it will pop off at 4 attachment points on the top of the engine.
    2. Remove the black airbox which is directly on top of the engine under the shroud. There are 3 silver 8mm bolts ( 2 at the sides and one in the back ) which attach the box directly to the engine. Loosen these until you can move the airbox assembly freely. There are 3 hoses which need to be detached from the airbox. One at the front on the right side which is accordianed and oval in shape, one which is on the top on the right and about 3/4" in diameter, and one which is on the right toward the back which is about 2" diameter and has an 8mm hose clamp on it. Detach all three at the airbox and lift the airbox up and place to the right side of the engine compartment. There will still be 2 flexible hoses attached at the rear of the airbox, but they will allow you to move the airbox freely to the right. This will give you room to access the oil filter canister which is located just behind the radiator on the left side.
    3. Jack up the car on the left side front to give you room to crawl under the vehicle for removal of the plastic belly pan.
    4. Remove the plastic belly pan under the engine by removing the 6 silver bolts. There are two at the front, two at the sides, and two at the back. Pull the pan back to unclip it from the lip on the leading edge, and it will fall right down so you can get it out of your way.
    5. You will now see the oil pan and 13mm drain plug which is rear facing and directly above the metal strut which braces the frame from side to side. Remove the drain plug and drain the oil.
    6. Locate the oil filter canister which is directly behind the radiator on the left side of the engine compartment. It is surrounded by a molded shield on its upper right. You access it from the top, and not underneath the car. It is a black domed plastic piece with a 27mm hex extension in the center. Use a 27mm socket with a 6" ratchet handle and loosen the cap of the canister. This is tricky since there is very little room and a hose in the way. The cap may be tight from the factory, but just keep turning to the left and unthread it all the way until it can be removed. The filter element snaps in to the cap, so it will not fall out while removing the cap. Remove the filter element by pulling firmly on it until it snaps out. Install the new one so it snaps in to the cap. Replace the rubber O ring on the outer edge of the cap and lube with oil. Install the cap and new filter and thread it down until you feel the threads end. Do not over tighten since it is a plastic part.
    7. Install the 13mm drain plug in the oil pan.
    8. Install the plastic belly pan with 6 bolts and lower the car from the jack.
    9. Install airbox by reattaching hoses and carefully threading in the three 8mm silver bolts.
    10. Add 4.0 quarts of 5-30 oil. Start car to circulate new oil. Check dip stick for oil level.
    11. Snap on plastic engine shroud.
    Hopefully this will decrease the time to perform the oil change to about 45 minutes for those of you who want to do it yourself, or believe that oil should be replaced more often than the factory recommended 8,000 mile intervals.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 500 Wrench For This Useful Post:

Abqduke (02-11-2013),dancote (04-06-2013),Itrottier (02-25-2012),Jeff C. (03-05-2012),Joe in Dublin (09-12-2011),lumos (09-26-2011),tryphon (01-04-2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    03 Audi TT 225
    Thanks
    How do you remove the service light?

Thanks
    When I look behind the radiator I can see a plastic cap marked Purolex that could hold a canister filter. It is on the right side of the engine not the left. The right side is the passenger side in the US. I have not removed the filer but in my car I should be able to reach it easily with a long extension and swivel (or swivels)without removing any panels or air cleaner.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Roman View Post
    When I look behind the radiator I can see a plastic cap marked Purolex that could hold a canister filter. It is on the right side of the engine not the left. The right side is the passenger side in the US. I have not removed the filer but in my car I should be able to reach it easily with a long extension and swivel (or swivels)without removing any panels or air cleaner.
    You are correct on the position of the filter canister. When I said "left side" I am referring to its placement when you are standing in front of the engine compartment to do the work. That would be your left side from that aspect.
    You may be able to get to the filter canister with a long extension and swivel, but be aware that you probably will have a hard time fishing it out unless you remove the air filter. You also have to consider that the canister is plastic, and using a swivel may tend to damage the 27mm hex head. The other issue is the massive size of a 27mm socket, as this adds a lot of length to your wrench, so you may not be able to fit it AND a swivel in the small area.

Drives
    500 sport
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dumped500 View Post
    How do you remove the service light?
    I had read elsewhere it's much like the method for turning off the service light on Dodges and Chryslers.

Turn ignition to on...but do not start.

Press gas pedal to floor 3 times.

Turn ignition off.

Done.
    2012 Nero Sport. 101 hp
    1988 Mustang 363stroker, t56 magnum 6 speed, 150 shot. 570hp

I'm kind of a big dill.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Pickles For This Useful Post:

Abqduke (02-15-2013),HarryB (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    so the filter housing has left hand threads...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
    I had read elsewhere it's much like the method for turning off the service light on Dodges and Chryslers.

Turn ignition to on...but do not start.

Press gas pedal to floor 3 times.

Turn ignition off.

Done.
    The Service Light will eventually disappear after like 1000 kilometers

Drives
    an Abarth in my Future
    Thanks
    I'm not too concerned about how to do an oil change since my maintenance is covered by FIAT for the 1st 36,000 miles.

after that, then I'll look up this thread.
    "Don't text while driving. You might spill your beer"

Drives
    an Abarth in my Future
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Roman View Post
    The right side is the passenger side in the US.
    FYI...the "right side" is ALWAYS the 'right side', regardless of what country or if it's left hand drive or right hand drive.

the 'side' of the car is always determined as you sit IN the car. so regardless if you're in the drivers seat or passenger seat, the 'right is right and left is left'.
    "Don't text while driving. You might spill your beer"

Thanks
    I guess I'll be changing my own oil since we don't get free maintenance and oil changes in Canada. Also our standard warranty isn't as good.

<_<
    2012 FIAT 500 Sport- Azzurro/Brown, 5 Speed
    -V-Maxx coilovers
    -16x8 ET+25 Avid 1 AV 12 wheels
    -205/40/16 Falken ZE-912
    -Abarth steering wheel/custom dyed stitching
    -Niveus CAI
    -500Madness GoPedal
    -6000K HIDs
    -Yellow fogs

14. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum