Fiat 500 Forum banner

Vanishing oil / No start

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  specter6633 
#1 ·
Here's a weird one! "Guido", my bitter half's '13 Abarth with 12,400 miles has been sitting for 2 months. I know, not the way to treat a fine Italian sports car! Anyway, we took the cover off of it yesterday to run some errands, got in, twisted the key, starter spun, and it sounded like an old Honda that shuck the timing belt. I started to think about the engine design and remembered the oil over solenoid VVT system. Pulled the dipstick and found it dry! Oil had been changed 6 months ago, never a leak, nor is it burning any. Added a quart-and-a-half of Edge which brought it up to the safe zone and proceeded to twist the key. What seemed like an eternity, one by one, the cylinders came back and Guido started! Bitter half took the snarling "Guido" for a quick blast around the neighborhood, everything was back to normal.
Has anyone had this happen? Is the VVT system prone to bleeding down over a period of time?
Thanks,
Paul

#2 ·
I too one time saw "no oil" on the dipstick. But like you, no leaks, not burning oil, etc. Added two quarts (over filled it) and everything since has been fine.

I did have a leaking PCV seal, so maybe it was all being burned on the exhaust manifold?

You might want to check that.

TEdolph

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I am not saying the oil level was not low but to properly check the oil in these cars you need to run the car to normal operating temps then wait 5 minutes to get a proper idea the true level. Your situation with it sitting and being low and not cranking was more unique but you should be aware of the above for future reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.