Brake rotor uneven wear-corrosion - Page 2

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake rotor uneven wear-corrosion

Thanks
    Tedolph,
    Have you checked the inside surfaces?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andylarry View Post
    Tedolph,
    Have you checked the inside surfaces?
    Yep, when I put the alloy wheels on-probably at 25k miles.

Nice 'n shiny on both sides.

TEdolph

Thanks
    Obviously a northern car since that's a crazy amount of corrosion. It's hard to tell what would cause the uneven wear but it's likely related to all that rust. Assuming after the service everything was working well, I'd just check back on the brakes in another 2,000 to 5,000 miles and make sure everything seems nominal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    Lounge 2013 Rosso Brilliante
    Thanks
    Northern brakes will last, when brake disks corrode badly here it is usually on cars that aren't driven regularly. Every time you brake surface corrosion is polished off, when cars are allowed to sit for long periods you can get corrosion beyond the surface, generally starting with a pitted surface and ending up similar to the photos. My driving habits are pretty much the same from year to year so I would say VW has better disks than Fiat uses.

Gerhard

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gerhard For This Useful Post:

Tedolph (05-19-2016)

Thanks
    I also find this discussion of interest. Lots of pulsating in the pedal when slowing from speed. Lots of pad left due to almost all highway driving (250 mile commute R-T everyday). I was thinking if O.E. is crap, how about drilled rotors? Anyplace recommended?

Drives
    Abarth/2015/Black
    Thanks
    It just when cars sit then are driven little. Other cars do this too. My 90 year old neighbor has a 2000 Jetta and her rotors look like garbage after about three years. It's because the car sits, she drives like an old lady (because she is) and she gets does about 1K miles/year on it. Car looks perfect but the rotors not the case. I put a set on a few years ago. Thing is, I have the same year Jetta and I put on a set of front rotors recently just because they were hulks of rust everywhere except for the pad surfaces. Since I've seen rotors rust to the point when they break off, sticking on new rotors was worth the $50 I spent for them. My car has 190K on it, hers, 60K. Same year and live right across the street from each other.

Drives
    Pop 2012 Blue
    Thanks
    My rear rotors were worse than this at 50,000 miles. Funny thing tough...the front ones weren't bad. The longest my car has ever sat without driving was the 9 days I was in Hawaii. This has got to be caused by poor quality parts.

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tbache View Post
    I also find this discussion of interest. Lots of pulsating in the pedal when slowing from speed. Lots of pad left due to almost all highway driving (250 mile commute R-T everyday). I was thinking if O.E. is crap, how about drilled rotors? Anyplace recommended?
    Pulsating brake pedal is usually a sign of a warped rotor, not a rusted rotor.

tEolph

Thanks
    This was mine at a bit over 40k miles:

Prior to replacement, I had a lot of pulsation as well. Some suggested issues with the calipers, it's really not. Frankly, the brakes discs and pads on our cars are ****. This is so obvious as soon as you put the new discs and pads on, brake feel is so so much better, and I mean, way better than when the car was new. I went with EBC for the replacement. I forgot the vendor, I found it on the world wide web, of course, and bought the whole stage 4 kit (both front and rear) for something like $350. The install is a complete doddle.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. For This Useful Post:

Tedolph (01-18-2017)

Thanks
    Posted about this same issue on the other forum http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showt...r-brake-action My theory is that the brake bias wasn't refined enough and that the front brakes do more of the work than they should.

15. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12