Brake rotor uneven wear-corrosion

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake rotor uneven wear-corrosion

Thanks

Brake rotor uneven wear-corrosion

Hello everyone. I service and maintain vehicles for a fellow who has a 2012 Fiat 500, purchased new, non-turbo, automatic, daily driver, just under 30k miles. Warranty repairs of note include leaking coolant hoses at radiator (repaired with new clamps), and clunking front suspension (repaired with new front struts). While recently performing the yearly State Inspection, I noticed slight-moderate brake noise and pulsation. Upon visual inspection I found uneven wear and corrosion on the brake rotors. It was worse on the rears, and on the inside surfaces, but also visible on the outside of the rears. There was about 50% brake lining remaining. See images. I replaced all rotors and pads and the pulsation and noises were eliminated. All caliper pins were well lubed and pad sliding surfaces were in good condition. Any thoughts on what causes this abnormal wear on the rotors? Name:  DSCF2907.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  470.7 KBName:  DSCF2906.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  476.1 KBName:  DSCF2905.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  471.7 KB

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Drives
    Black-on-Black Abarth
    Thanks
    That's a lot of corrosion. I don't know what caused this, so I only have questions.

It sounds like a warped rotor, huh?. I wonder if the owner has ever let his car sit unused, for an extended period? The corrosion looks excessive. I also wonder if the owner has ever experience an occasion of maximum braking when the brakes were already hot? Did he experience an 'event' while driving? Are his tires wearing evenly?

Drives
    Bianco 500 Sport 5-spd
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andylarry View Post
    All caliper pins were well lubed and pad sliding surfaces were in good condition.
    My first reaction was that the calipers are not sliding smoothly on their pins and are hanging up. It's weird that it would happen on all 4 rotors (well three, and the fourth to a lesser extent). I doubt all 3 calipers would hang up in that same way. The next thing I wonder is if there is some problem with heat treat on the rotors (either in manufacture, or as Brian suggests, from a hard stop). Maybe someone who's a Fiat tech can weigh in...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    Lounge 2013 Rosso Brilliante
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    My first reaction was that the calipers are not sliding smoothly on their pins and are hanging up. It's weird that it would happen on all 4 rotors (well three, and the fourth to a lesser extent). I doubt all 3 calipers would hang up in that same way. The next thing I wonder is if there is some problem with heat treat on the rotors (either in manufacture, or as Brian suggests, from a hard stop). Maybe someone who's a Fiat tech can weigh in...
    I had to replace all four rotors on 2013 last fall, about 50,000 km or less than half what my Jetta's brakes lasted. I think with the VW I went 130,000 km on the original rotors. Must not be the best rotors available that Fiat is using but they sure know how to charge for them.

Gerhard

Drives
    2012 black Abarth
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,582 Posts
    Andy, I have seen better rotors on cars in a junk yard. I would think that them rotors have not been treated correctly from the supplier or maybe used the cheapest material to make them and a couple of harsh winters in PA finished them off too early. My rotors on my 2012 AB started to show rust on the back just like yours at around 10k and they have never seen salt or snow just water since I had the car in Arizona.

Drives
    2015 500e and Sport
    Thanks
    I agree on the junk yard assessment. Definitely Winter salt and chemicals combined with no washing or rinsing along the way. Good news is after market rotor sets seem to be available for a reasonable price.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to multiair For This Useful Post:

Tedolph (05-17-2016)

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Obviously the user parks the car in a salt water pond.

TEdolph

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedolph For This Useful Post:

evilkarl the 2nd (05-17-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks for the quick replies! The car sees mostly city-urban drive cycles, with 1-2 out-of-town interstate trips of 100 miles or more a month. The owner may take a 1-2 week vacation 2-3 times a year. He is an adult mature driver that doesn't drive like a wild teenager. The car still rides on it's original tires. As I said, the sliding pins were still fully lubed and working well, and the brake lining had maybe 40-50% remaining. Sure, here in PA the roads are well salted for 4-5 months a year. But I don't see this on all the cars that I service, especially a newer car with less than 30k mileage. I'm leaning more towards poor quality steel and / or poor rotor-brake pad material matching. My wife drives a 2001 BMW 530i about 35k a year and my college age daughter has a BMW 330i that is driven only 4-5k a year and sits (outside) for months at a time, and the rotors on those cars never look like this. Keep the guesses / explanations coming!

Drives
    Lounge 2013 Rosso Brilliante
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by multiair View Post
    I agree on the junk yard assessment. Definitely Winter salt and chemicals combined with no washing or rinsing along the way. Good news is after market rotor sets seem to be available for a reasonable price.
    That wasn't the case with my car, really was driven much the same as the VW I had before the 500 so I think it is sub-par parts. My wife's car sits all winter and it didn't get that type of damage.

Gerhard

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Must be a bad batch of parts. My rotors look pristine after 30k mi.

Tedolph

15. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast