vibrations on convertible model over 40 mph

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vibrations on convertible model over 40 mph

Thanks

vibrations on convertible model over 40 mph

Hello!

I'm looking to purchase a 500 convertible and in my search for more information on this model, I came across an article about a guy who experienced vibrations at speeds over 40 mph (not related to unbalanced wheel) on his convertible.

Unfortunately, I'm new here and I can't post any link... you can find the article by googling "Bad vibrations as Fiat denies design fault with the 500". The article is hosted on The Guardian.

I tried to find more info on this specific problem, with no success... so I'm wondering if its a real issue convertible owners have to deal with.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? I would like to hear from owners of cars with great mileage.

Does your car vibrates as mentioned in the article? Have you experienced any major issue so far? Is the convertible a good purchase or should I get the hard top instead?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    2013 Abarth Cabrio Black
    Thanks
    I do between 80 and 85 in my convertible (a2013) every morning on my way to work, and I've never experienced any vibration, or at least no more than in any other car I've ever owned. I love my convertible Abarth, and the exhaust note just gets better with the top down.

Drives
    500c (Wicked Little Red Dot)
    Thanks
    How did the guy confirm no out of balance tires? How about out of round or bad belt on one or more tires? Damaged rim?

My Abarth 500c has routinely kissed the max-speed with top down limiter w/o any excessive vibrations. Some of our grooved roads around here do cause some tramlining but it's more to do with my choice of tire..

5. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,577 Posts
    Tires are out of balance.

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smark View Post
    Tires are out of balance.
    Yep.

Classic symptoms.

Thanks
    As mentioned in the news article, the guy had the wheel balance looked at... Here is a copy of the article I'm talking about :

When Spencer Smart bought a brand new Fiat 500 convertible last year he was so pleased that shortly afterwards he told a friend it was the best car he had ever owned. But just a few months later, every time he drove above 40mph, the car’s steering wheel would start to vibrate badly. Soon the whole car was shaking so much when driven at speed that Smart, from Marazion, Cornwall, felt it was “no longer drivable”.
    He asked an independent automotive engineer to examine the car which, by now, had 9,000 miles on the clock and was around nine months old.
    Its condition, he argued, was neither “reasonable or acceptable” for its age, and said that he believed the problem was an inherent design issue that could not be fixed.
    Fiat sent an engineer and compared it with other used 500 convertibles. It declared that the vibrations are a “characteristic” of the model. On that basis, it has refused to release him from his finance agreement.
    Smart says he has test driven other Fiat 500 convertibles – there are 15,000 on Britain’s roads – and while those with low mileage don’t vibrate, it’s at higher mileages the problem emerges.
    The freelance marketing consultant says it “can be felt through the structure of the car including the seats, door panels, etc, although my main reference point is obviously the steering”.
    It has also left him wondering whether consumer rights legislation in the UK is fit for purpose. The case shows how difficult it can be for a consumer to get a large manufacturer to deal with you fairly if you think a vehicle has a significant design fault.
    This is, however, not the first time Fiat has dismissed a problem with its retro-looking 500. In November 2014 BBC Watchdog revealed that models with the 1.2 litre petrol engine didn’t have sufficient power to get up steep hills. Top Gear’s former Stig was shown unable to get one up a hill in Bristol.
    Fiat initially denied there was a problem, but after the programme it said it would update the software on each one.
    Smart bought the car in October 2014 on a finance agreement with Fiat. He paid £5,700 deposit followed by £149 a month for four years.
    Six months later, at 6,000 miles, he first noticed the problem. Thinking it was an issue with the wheels he had them repeatedly checked, but the problem only got worse.
    “I have driven four 500C convertibles of different ages and mileage at the dealer. The newest, with fewer than 600 miles on the clock, drove perfectly. Two cars with roughly 8,000 miles vibrated much the same as mine. A fourth, older 500C with 26,000 miles, was considerably worse. The Fiat engineer was present when I tried that car and mentioned it before I did.
    “It’s such a shame as the car is great in every respect, and if you just drove around town – below 40mph – it wouldn’t be a problem,” he says.
    Desperate to get a reasonable outcome he offered to accept a like-for-like replacement of a same price 500 hard top, but Fiat would only offer a new lease deal on a cheaper model which, he says, would have left him several thousand pounds worse off.
    “I’ve spent days dealing with this, as in garage visits, engineer visits, etc – and countless hours on phone calls, emails and general grumbling.
    “It wouldn’t be acceptable if a customer bought a new TV that became unwatchable over time because of a design fault. So why should car manufacturers, selling £16,000 products, treat their customers any differently?” he asks.
    Fiat declined to respond in regard to the allegations of a manufacturing design fault. It should be noted that few other drivers of this model have complained, publicly, at least.
    However, after Guardian Money raised Smart’s case, Fiat has agreed to replace his car with a hardtop Fiat Abarth, on the same terms, which is all he wanted in the first place. “We recognise that Mr Smart is a loyal Fiat customer and are pleased that this issue has been resolved to his satisfaction,” says a spokeswoman.
    Meanwhile, Smart says he thinks many other drivers are affected. “Until more come forward, Fiat won’t address the issue properly. It shouldn’t take the Guardian’s involvement to get a large company like Fiat to treat its customers fairly, but I guess that’s the world we live in,” he says.

Drives
    2012 500 Pop, Grigio
    Thanks
    Who cares what the article said he had done. He could have lied. The teenager at Pep Boys could have been incompetent, etc.

Cars do not vibrate for no reason and assuming it has not been in a collision, when it is speed sensitive like that it is almost always the tires.

TEdolph

Thanks
    Obviously they don't all do this, or there would be more than just one story about it.

If the story is true, it could be any number of things. Could be a broken belt in a tire. Who knows?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mcbrew For This Useful Post:

Tedolph (01-08-2017)

Drives
    2013 Abarth Cabrio Black
    Thanks
    Never mind that the 500c is not a true convertible. With the top down, it still has the roof sides to maintain rigidity. Many convertibles suffer from cowl shake, but not this one.

Thanks
    Are you looking to buy a car in North America?
    Last edited by streetsurfer; 01-07-2017 at 06:19 PM.

14. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast