500 Pop base model question: Is a new intake worth it on this model?

1. Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums – General discussion forum for Fiat 500

Welcome to Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums - a website dedicated to all things Fiat 500.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Fiat 500 Forum : US Fiat 500 Cinquecento Forums today!

Thread: 500 Pop base model question: Is a new intake worth it on this model?

Thanks

500 Pop base model question: Is a new intake worth it on this model?

So I didn't spring for the spiffy sport or the abarth because I was just getting out of a bad situation on a 05 Explorer (The studio gave me DOUBLE the KBB value even with a blown head gasket!!) and couldn't afford it. I love my little pop but I would like to give it a little kick in the pants. Is swapping out the intake going to make that big of a difference performance wise on this engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    500 Sport 2013 Luce
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pcsguy88 For This Useful Post:

ElSmack (02-01-2014)

Drives
    500 Sport 2013 Luce
    Thanks
    You will not gain racer speed, but you gain noticeable power in 2nd, 3rd and 4th which is appreciated on hills. I can now regain speed on the highway when traffic slows me down and that is exactly what I was looking for. The intake is worth the $ and I will find out if the exhaust is worthwhile on Monday.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pcsguy88 For This Useful Post:

ElSmack (02-01-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements

Drives
    2013 Sport Argento
    Thanks
    I have some other things going on underneath my hood, so I went full-on with the Niveus from Madness. But if I was more budget conscious I would do a drop-in filter like the BMC and forego the headaches of making a CAI fit.

A CAI alone will not do much. Like everyone says you need to do the exhaust as well to balance it all out. I would also suggest a full exhaust system from the downpipe to the tailpipe like the Magnaflow that I have. It opens up the piping diameter by over 1/4". Some people say that just the Road Race Motorsport muffler-only performs just as well, but I am skeptical. You might save a few dollars if you went that route though.

All that said, the first mod that I suggest is a Go-pedal or Sprint Booster. At the very least it will firm up the feeling of the accelerator pedal. I can't drive my car without it. Also, my car has tons of torque. It is probably attributable in some part to the Road Race timing controller. I have oodles of cash laying around so I bought one. I haven't removed it yet to see if it makes a difference, but others have commented about the loss of torque once they had removed theirs. Mine is staying put.

As you can see there are tons of products available to make these cars even more drivable. Handling is also key.
    2013 Sport Argento SR
    Neu-F Springs|STS Rear Bar|Koni Rear Shocks|Norcal SS Rear Bumpstops|16mm Wheel Spacers|RRM Upper and Mid Chassis Braces|Subframe Collars|Trimmed Neu-F Torque Arm Insert|Madness Niveus CAI|E+D ECU Phase 2|TMC AutoFlash TCU Tune|ADD Oil Catch Can|MPx Underdrive Pulley Kit|Magnaflow 15088|Go-Pedal|Custom CF Shift Knob|3G Customs Engine Cover|Grigio Dash & Mirror Caps|Necking Knob|Mopar Hitch

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lammie200 For This Useful Post:

ElSmack (02-01-2014)

Drives
    '13 Bianca Abarth
    Thanks
    Isn't the base pop engine the same as that on the Sport? I had the RRM intake on my Sport as well as their exhaust and it transformed the car. I loved it. Might not have given it more power but when driving it I felt like it did. Do those and springs and you'll have a sweet little pop.
    EC R3T V2.1 - Neu-F Rear Bar/Eibach Sportlines/Koni Yellow Rears - Competizione CV-2 Matte Black - Turbo Lights - Prima Dash

Drives
    500 Sport 2013 Luce
    Thanks
    The intake really smooths things out and allows you to stretch the gears out. I keep forgetting to put it in sport mode the past few days since it feels like it is already on all the time now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pcsguy88 For This Useful Post:

ElSmack (02-03-2014)

Drives
    2013 Sport Argento
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haring View Post
    Isn't the base pop engine the same as that on the Sport? I had the RRM intake on my Sport as well as their exhaust and it transformed the car. I loved it. Might not have given it more power but when driving it I felt like it did. Do those and springs and you'll have a sweet little pop.
    Since the OP originally asked about a Mopar intake and exhaust, yes, I am totally onboard going RRM for those. I am sure they perform better than the Mopar. Possibly the decision could be based on a CARB legal intake requirement.

I would also think about better rear shocks before anything else in the suspension related department. Fiat really skimped on the OEM shocks. The widely available Koni replacement shocks are great and would have added minimal to the cost of the car. Of course they also skimped on rear anti-sway bars, but that is a topic for another day. At least there are very decent aftermarket sources.
    2013 Sport Argento SR
    Neu-F Springs|STS Rear Bar|Koni Rear Shocks|Norcal SS Rear Bumpstops|16mm Wheel Spacers|RRM Upper and Mid Chassis Braces|Subframe Collars|Trimmed Neu-F Torque Arm Insert|Madness Niveus CAI|E+D ECU Phase 2|TMC AutoFlash TCU Tune|ADD Oil Catch Can|MPx Underdrive Pulley Kit|Magnaflow 15088|Go-Pedal|Custom CF Shift Knob|3G Customs Engine Cover|Grigio Dash & Mirror Caps|Necking Knob|Mopar Hitch

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lammie200 For This Useful Post:

ElSmack (02-03-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSmack View Post
    So I didn't spring for the spiffy sport or the abarth because I was just getting out of a bad situation on a 05 Explorer (The studio gave me DOUBLE the KBB value even with a blown head gasket!!) and couldn't afford it. I love my little pop but I would like to give it a little kick in the pants. Is swapping out the intake going to make that big of a difference performance wise on this engine?
    I would say no, not by itself but it might encourage you to change the muffler out to a 2 1/4" straight thru magnaflow like the one I run on the street. Then the bug will be nibling on you to add a few more things down the road. The good news is after you do make several changes you will find your ride is performing very well and it will still be completely reliable as a daily driver and capable of netting you very good gas mileage. Cheers
    Some folks are like Slinkies, good for nothing but still put a smile on your face when you push them downstairs.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 500spot For This Useful Post:

ElSmack (02-03-2014)

17. Remove Advertisements
    Fiat 500 Forum
    Advertisements