Fiat 500 Forum banner

the adventure begins - P0165

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  bryanintowson 
#1 · (Edited)
5065 miles and the check engine popped on, P0165. An appointment for diagnosis is scheduled a week away and it'll be interesting what they find.

• P0165 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 3)

Maybe the little car likes going in for service (a couple days out from the oil change).

#2 ·
What irony. I was learning about the multiair brick this week. The code was traced to an actuator problem. The part is on order and, per the customer tech, they haven't seen these.

It's under warranty, but he said the cost of the part was $1550. I wonder if they simply replace the whole brick... and hope this doesn't affect driving performance. (The car, with this prob, is driving perfectly.)

#6 ·
The condition of your oil. If there are metals from damaged or worn parts. If the oil is sheared down, if it is fuel diluted, if there is seal or o-ring material in it from worn/damaged seals in the brick, if there is valve or piston material in it, excess ring material, exhaust gas contamination(blown head gasket), whether the additive package is depleted and what may have had anything to do with a failure. It could help diagnose a problem with mechanical wear and help narrow down where to look based on the materials and quantity of it found.

If additives were depleted and oil was sheared badly, or fuel diluted, coolant contamination, high silica content could mean a torn air filter, or poor filtration from possible torn filter media.....those things may have led to a failure. Its always a good idea to do one for a baseline as part of standard oil maintenance, regularly to monitor wear, and especially in the event of opening up and engine for repair, or helping to diagnose why a failure might have occurred. Much like your doctor drawing blood.

https://www.overdriveonline.com/nex...benefits-durability-in-engine-teardown-event/

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30613/engine-oil-analysis

#7 ·
That makes good sense, but the evidence was dumped 2 days before the fail. I could ask for a sample, but I doubt the dealer has a way to collect some. About all I can say is there was no noticeable change in color. I was not going to change my own oil because of the filter location and the cost is similar. Now I'm starting to rethink this. I had great luck with the dealer in the past, but things are a changin'.

Where do you have yours analyzed? I don't understand how the ECU could detect a mechanical fail. I could be in for a series of part swaps, I'm afraid.

#8 ·
Well, nervous time. The car is at the dealer's for the new part install and see if this fixes the code.

I called this afternoon to check when the part would arrive and they transferred me to the mechanic. "Yes, I know the car and want to complete the repair immediately. Drop it off at 7:15 tomorrow." I explained that's a couple hours before I get up and he was adamant. Well, you don't want to PO the surgeon, so I dropped her tonight. I'll lay 2 to 1 odds he doesn't crack the hood before noon and the part was in his hands yesterday... but I like his attitude. He reminds me of Oberlander, the German expert who kept our VWs happy.

When I retired, I promised myself no more 5 AM alarm clocks, and put 3 clocks in the Goodwill pile.

#9 · (Edited)
OK, the dealer is referring to the brick as the actuator. (I thought that was one of the individual plungers.)

Any way, received a call this afternoon, picked up the car, and all is well. First stop was the stereo shop for speakers. The panels are still off, until I can complete the insulation job. The speak installation was tricky in back, so I'm glad I left it to the pros.

#12 ·
Thanks. It lasted about an hour... have it torn apart for speaks and sound deadening.

You know, it's rather tricky getting out of the car w/o an inside door handle. (I completed that panel's deadening today b4 it got too hot to work.)

#13 ·
An interesting sideline today. I put on a locking cap when MPG dropped to 22. It was a midnight shopper.

The parts counter had me on file. It had been over 90 days, so wouldn't be covered... except it'll be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, even though not factory. That was a pleasant surprise.

They also helped me figure out the radio USB menu. The Beetles "I'll follow the Sun" is a fun song, unless you've heard it repeat 100 times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.