Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of these mag and online articles list the 0-60 times for the 500e at 8 Seconds plus.

8.0s

8.4s

8.5s

9.1s

9.9s

I did a couple quick tests on my way to work this morning using my phone's stop watch.

First attempt
97% SOC, AC off, ESC off, no wheel spin, just hit the pedal and go. Ambient temp 72F.
7.72s

2nd attempt
73% SOC, AC on, ESC off, no wheel spin, just hit the pedal and go. Ambient temp 72F
8.62s

So it makes me wonder what the SOC was for some of these other tests and whether or not they had the AC on? I need to try back to back tests with AC on then off, to see how much of a factor it is vs SOC.

Anyone else do any 0-60 testing?

I recall somewhere I saw one member shaved .8 seconds off with lighter Konig Helium wheels and tires. I have a set of Heliums, just waiting until my stock tires wear down. That could potentially put me in the 6s range at full SOC.

I just wish power wasn't limited below 15mph. I have no problems with traction from takeoff. The only time I broke tires loose was in a low speed turn and I mashed the pedal. I'm sure wheel spin will be a factor in cooler weather, but I have yet to see/try below 70deg since owning the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I feel like its a car that loses a lot above 50mph.

I don't think you get that full 0.8 seconds from a lighter rim/tire setup. So under 7 second 0-60 I don't feel the car is that fast. There's software that can measure it on the street that's better than the phone stopwatch so please prove me wrong. The car feels like it has enough power for what it is the suspension setup is what I'm after.

Getting it out of the hole it can do basically everything you can expect... unless you really are looking to improve your 60' foot time. Sometimes when you try to lay it down and turn the electric grandma devices get confused and defeat your hoonery. I find you can sometimes saw the wheel back and forth a bit like you would with an old-school Honda Civic with an open diff and that gets the software to where you get the traction control to do its job... lol.

I'm also looking at the 15"x6.5" Konig Helium wheels but not sure what tire size. 205/50/15 is closest to stock diameter but that seems like a lot of tire to throw at this car for a daily driver given the potential impacts to range.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also my Butt dyno says its mid 8 second 0-60 maybe upper 8s but the car is much faster than most regular cars under 45mph or so

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to do some more testing. I don't know if you can hook a draggy up to these cars or what other options there are?

I was actually thinking about putting some skinnies on the rear for better acceleration and range. Pretty much the same setup I had on my K20Civic.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Car&Driver multi-EV test with 2013 500e
8.7s

Car&Driver 2013 500e individual test
8.4s

Edmunds
8.2s

On stock tires MY 500e would spin one if I floored it off the line even on smooth dry flat clean new pavement:
  • Without ESC one tire would spin until I backed off, or about half a block if I didn't!
  • With ESC a tire spun about half a revolution before ESC kicked in, & then a fairly big chirp at around 25.
So it sure doesn't seem like power is "limited below 15mph". My AlfaOBD shows slightly less available power at lower SOC though. I happened to be at over 90% on the gauge when I blew the doors off a late-model Maserati who'd verbally challenged me. We each had both windows fully open, slowing us down, but I also have lighter wheels AND tires, & no heavy rear seat-backs, and he had a passenger while I did not.

I have 205/50s all-around, with NO detectable difference in CITY range. A very slight headwind or difference in avg speed has more effect. This might be due to my lower wheel/tire weight compensating for more drag, so at HIGHWAY speeds it might make a difference, but my friend got the exact same 205s & got the exact same highway range even with stock rims (actually even "worse", with my old wider heavier rear rims on the front of hers!).

A/C's power-draining compressor goes through cycles, off & on through several (about five I think) different power levels, so having it "on" should yield inconsistently slower results.

I once saw someone checking 0-60 by simply first starting his phone videoing his speedo, then flooring it, then stopping the vid after 60mph. Then he looked at the vid's time stamp difference between start & finish.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no trouble hooking up with the stock Firestones at 43psi warm.

Daytime temps are 95-99 degF, so the roads are warm, even at 5am and 73 degF ambient.

When I floor it,the power meter shows 40Kw until 15mph, then jumps to 79-80Kw.

I am going to order a draggy and get some official numbers. Apparently it is not what I thought it was and is accurate to within a couple hundreths of second.

If our local drag strip didn't shut down permanently I would make a real pass. I will definitely get some use out of the draggy with my friends cars too.

I'll update once I get some real numbers.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,007 Posts
Our different OEM tire hookup experiences may be due to different states of wear &/or slight compound difference year-to-year.

When I floor it off the line my power meter shows about like yours, BUT I don't feel even one tiny blip in the smoothness of the acceleration. Observing the power meter during normal driving it appears to "only" update about once per second or so. That would mean by the time it updates to show the power used in the first 6 feet, it's one second later & you're going 15mph.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just turned 10,000 miles and still have plenty of tread depth, so I suppose that could be a factor.

Last night I ordered two ASKO 4k cameras at half the price of one GoPro. So once they arrive, along with the Draggy, I will get some concrete data and videos.

In the meantime, check out my 500E cameo in last week's free laptop video

1 - 8 of 8 Posts