Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car for a week. My wife comes out to the car after work where it is plugged in all day and it only is charged to 95%. What is causing this? It has happened 3 days straight now. Our Nissan Leaf on the same charger always charges to 100%. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Try another charger before determining it's the car; some chargers may turn off early

The reality is supposedly 80% charge on a daily basis is better anyway FWIW

·
Registered
149 Posts
The reality is supposedly 80% charge on a daily basis is better anyway FWIW
Not true. There is a safety buffer built into the battery to prevent over charging so getting it up to 100% is just fine.

As for why it only goes up to 95%, try a different charger and see if that does anything different. Occasionally mine will only charge to 95% for some reason when most of the time it goes all the way to 100%. I'm not sure why but it's pretty rare.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, seems to be just this one set of code access Clipper Creek chargers at her work so far. My wife thinks that if current draw gets too low, they may be shutting off. Hopefully that is the explanation, but it doesn't shut off on our Leaf, which also begins to taper charge rate down starting at 94%. Only charged on a different charger once and it charged all the way. So I guess it isn't the car. I guess I was just wondering if there was some setting on the car I didn't know about.

Regarding stopping at 80%, that for sure is true about the Leaf since they didn't leave much wiggle room with the design. I've heard other EV makers left more spare to work with so 100% may actually be closer to 80% of capacity (in order to ensure battery longevity).

·
Registered
149 Posts
It might be a combination of the Fiat's programming and the Clipper Creek charger because the Fiat does taper down the charge rate like the Leaf so it might be just more drastic causing the charger to shut down. One thing you might try is when the charger shuts down but the car is at 95% open the door with the charger still plugged in and see if it starts charging again. I did this once when mine stopped at 95% and it went back up to 100% after this. Kind of a kick to get it going again.

The Leaf has an air cooled battery which is much more susceptible to battery degradation due to temperature extremes. The Fiat battery is able to regulate it's temperature via a cooling/heating system. You are correct that the actual 100% capacity isn't achievable because the manufacturer built in a buffer. Usually it's around 20%-80% of the actual battery's capacity to keep it in the optimal range for longevity.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Not true. There is a safety buffer built into the battery to prevent over charging so getting it up to 100% is just fine.
Rather than argue over the truth I'll suggest you believe the Fiat display of 100% is really the max safety amount and perhaps it is - that is not true of our Tesla and some others, but I will admit to not knowing if the E tries to hide the complicated notion of the safe buffer zone.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The electronics keep the state of charge (SOC) in the happy zone for max life.
All EV's and Hybrids do this to a degree.

0% indicated isn't really 0%
100% indicated isn't really 100%
The 500e has a "24kW battery" but you'll never get 24kW out of it, nor will you ever be able to put 24kW into it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
0% indicated isn't really 0%
100% indicated isn't really 100%
The 500e has a "24kW battery" but you'll never get 24kW out of it, nor will you ever be able to put 24kW into it.
Does anybody know how much of the 24kWh is usable?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't think anyone has found out. I know there was a guy who dug into a Model S and found in the software the amount it will charge the battery before indicating it was full. I imagine someone would have to do the same on the Fiat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This just started happening to me as well. Have a ChargePoint home charger, successfully charging a 2014 500e to 100% for 3 years. But recently with the 2017 500e the overnight charging stops at 95%. I tried at a public ChargePoint charger today and it went to 100%. Sent an email to ChargePoint support, so I'll post updates as I get them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not to revive an old thread, but I’m experiencing the exact same thing with my 2014 500e and a JuiceBox Pro 40. For two years it’d always charge to 100%. Then all of a sudden it’ll stop at 95%.

I’ve noticed that if I try to unplug/replug or use the app to start charging again to 100%, that the next day the charge indication will drop about 7% after the car is simply parked at work for the day. But by the time I get home, the charge indication is very similar to what the car has historically shown. This “drop” in charge while parked does not happen however, when the car was charged to 95% the previous evening.

I actually got a replacement JuiceBox under warranty but no change. Fiat verified that nothing is wrong with the car’s charging system or battery.. they said that 3rd party chargers will sometimes behave oddly. Emotorwerks suggested cycling the power to the JuiceBox and increasing its amperage settings (another oddity is that it will occasionally charge at L1/120V), but no matter what I tweak, it always stops at 95%.

The latest Fiat software update (preventing 12V battery drain) seems to be the only thing remotely correlated to the behavior, but I have no way to verify it. As long as my usable range isn’t affected that’s the most important part, but it’s been quite disappointing that neither Fiat nor Emotorwerks have been able to explain why this is happening, either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I go and unplug within an hour of when the car finishes charging, it will be at 100%. If I let it sit plugged in all day, or all night, it will generally show 95% when I unplug. This is true for both L1 and L2 charging. I think it is a feature/function of the battery management system. Just my guess based on my observations.

Edit: I'll add that this behavior is more noticeable since the last recall work was done for the 12v battery draining issue.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
2,683 Posts
all of a sudden it’ll stop at 95%... charging again to 100%, .. indication will drop about 7% after the car is simply parked at work for the day.
If you haven't already, I would try resetting the car via 30-second 12V disconnect.

The latest Fiat software ... I have no way to verify it.
Just in case you mean you haven't verified if your car has the latest software, you can check at https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is the ambient temperature any different than normal where you are? I know where I am (utah) it's pretty cold, and if the charge finishes more than a few hours before I go to preheat in the morning, the charge will be down anywhere from 2-8%, but my charger can feed the full 6.6kw and usually brings the number back up a few % if I don't set the heater to HI (and give it ~20min)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Came here to say that I found this forum because my charge sporadically is stopping at 95% overnight. I am using a Siemens VersiCharge and setting it on the timer delay so that it starts charging the car in the wee hours of night. It was charging to full 100% for a few months after I got my 2017 Fiat 500e (used). It seems to only happen when I put it on the overnight delay charging and leave it plugged in. From this forum, seems like it could be the 1) charger, 2) low current in the middle of the night, 3) car preventing itself from overcharging or something else. I am not concerned about it after reading this forum. I'd rather start the day at 100% but seems like I am not damaging the battery and nothing is wrong with it if I let it charge up all night and see that its either 95% or 100% in the morning. Anyone have a reason to disagree?

·
Registered
77 Posts
crossposting, as this post has more contributors;

Hello,
I installed a level2 charger, and i experience the same!
First, it was set at charging at 8 amps, no problems. Also, the granny charger wich charges at approx. 10 amps, no problem.
Now, i set the charger to 17 amps, and for 2 days now, it charges only to 95%

Anyone that knows why?

The other car we own (peugeot ion) does the opposite; always charged with a granny charger, and now with the 17 amps setting (charging at 15A max ive seen) it gives approx. 10 miles more range then usual...

voltage is 230volts by the way.
Its a chinese wall charger, Besen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts