Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New here. Just purchased a lovely 500e used from a fellow in Arizona. We've just had it a week and so far love it.
I'm looking into the whole 220 adapter for the stock 12amp EVSE.
Could I just use something like this on a dedicated 15 or 20 amp breaker?

Using the stock charger, at $110 isn't this a much more affordable option then getting an adapter ($50) and a 220 outlet installed ($$$)?

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
because the stock EVSE should only pull 12 amps at 110 or 220 right?
Am I wasting a bunch of electricity using the step-up transformer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohhhh
So you're saying by stepping this up to 220 the amps will drop to 6, resulting in the same approximate watts i.e. the same approximate charge time with a lot on inefficiency?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes. A step up transformer does not add more power. The power remains the same, and amps will drop as it raises the voltage. Charging faster requires pumping higher power into the battery. The extra power must come from the outlet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A step up transformer is not going to do you any good. Your cheapest option, if it is possible in your situation, is to find an existing dryer or stove outlet nearby and use it. Next cheapest would be if you have a dedicated circuit for an existing 120V outlet and convert that outlet into a 240V outlet by changing the physical outlet and the single pole to double pole breaker in the breaker panel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A step up transformer is not going to do you any good. Your cheapest option, if it is possible in your situation, is to find an existing dryer or stove outlet nearby and use it. Next cheapest would be if you have a dedicated circuit for an existing 120V outlet and convert that outlet into a 240V outlet by changing the physical outlet and the single pole to double pole breaker in the breaker panel.
That's what I'm going to do.
I knew I was missing something, lol. I remember this from electrics class now it's been a million years lol.
Going 14/50 so there's room for a 30 amp EVSE at some point or maybe another EV in the future (used cyber truck, here I come... in 10 years lol)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
theoretically speaking... if there were two dedicated 15 amp breakers at say, a friends house, might it be possible to make a 5/15 X 2, Y connector to plug 2 extension cords into and charge at double the rate when aware from home?

Like with two males into one female tied in series?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doing that (2 extension cords) is not safe. The reason why is that the two single pole breakers are not connected together. So if one extension cord gets cut and trips the breaker, the 2nd extension cord is still 'hot' In a proper 220V setup the 2 breaker poles are connected together. So when something happens both poles trip and all electricity is cut off. Most common solution to this are adapters that use a dryer/window air conditioner/whatever has a 220v plug to the charger.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,961 Posts
Steven might be able to use something like this:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steven might be able to use something like this:

Oh that's pretty cool! A little pricey but very simple.
I think I'm gunna stick with a 14/50 at the house with an adapter I was just trying to image a solution when I wanted to visit a friend on the far side of range 60-70 miles away but we wouldn't be spending the night.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
497 Posts
Many of us find 110V sufficient, since it recharges a full US average daily 40-mile drive in about 8 hours of sleep OR work.
Now that im back to work, my Fiat is seeing lots more miles (72 a day), i still havent used my L2 and seems i dont need to, i have 120v charging at home and work so i just plug in at either places and always have a full charge when i set off. I have a adapter to use my OEM charger on a dryer outlet but havent needed to lately.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi all,
New here. Just purchased a lovely 500e used from a fellow in Arizona. We've just had it a week and so far love it.
I'm looking into the whole 220 adapter for the stock 12amp EVSE.
Could I just use something like this on a dedicated 15 or 20 amp breaker?

View attachment 108834

Using the stock charger, at $110 isn't this a much more affordable option then getting an adapter ($50) and a 220 outlet installed ($$$)?

Am I missing something?
The only circumstances that I think that could theoretically be helpful would be if you only have access to a TT-30 outlet, since you could use that to charge [email protected]

I've made something similar to this for 240V charging in a pinch: A "Quick 220" clone, but I'd agree that charging overnight at 120V is probably good enough in most circumstances.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
497 Posts
This COVID-19 thing is ruining my miles per kw I have to drive way faster then I have to because then I’ll look like the a-hole driving too slow. 😑 freeway has been super empty for me this whole week.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,961 Posts
A plug-in Prius would probably be pretty quick if you just removed the gas engine weighing it down. You might have to add 1 or 3 additional OEM batteries though, for some semblance of practical range.

·
Registered
497 Posts
that’s all up to driver input, people driving Prius are more akin to bus in a carpool lane, annoying and holding everyone up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm gunna stick with a 14/50 at the house with an adapter
You're best bet is a Juicebox EVSE that uses the 14/50 plug. For the cord length you can buy a JLong J1772 Extension cable (link) or something similar. You can snake that easily through a window or door. It's expensive but some people use them at public charging stations when they can't easily access a free charger.

If you can't afford that then you might want to look into Plugshare.com, Chargepoint.com, etc. You can also sometimes find free lvl 2 charging stations on Google maps.

I don't personally have a 14/50 outlet but I use a 220V dryer adapter on the plug which works fine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts