Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
507 Posts
JLong extension looks like a great idea to use when I get ICED at a EVSE or some doofus who leaves a full charged car in a stall

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,992 Posts
Volta app even self-updates availability every minute or so.

Keep in mind it will show available shortly after a car is done charging, so you can still be blocked, & even if there's space, or you have time to doublepark & wait, some cars lock onto the plug (like eGolf & BMW phev).

Besides Volta, there are also MANY other free chargers near my routes that only show on Plugshare, & I've even found some before they got listed there.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 500e (Billet Argento), 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI 5MT (Tungsten Silver), 2002 Honda VFR
507 Posts
Volta app even self-updates availability every minute or so.

Keep in mind it will show available shortly after a car is done charging, so you can still be blocked, & even if there's space, or you have time to doublepark & wait, some cars lock onto the plug (like eGolf & BMW phev).

Besides Volta, there are also MANY other free chargers near my routes that only show on Plugshare, & I've even found some before they got listed there.
I wish all public chargers were networked where it tells you live it’s available or not if you times I’m kind of annoyed and get to there in all plugs are taken up. Then I waste more time and range looking for another with no guarantees on the next one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
New here. Just purchased a lovely 500e used from a fellow in Arizona. We've just had it a week and so far love it.
I'm looking into the whole 220 adapter for the stock 12amp EVSE.
Could I just use something like this on a dedicated 15 or 20 amp breaker?

View attachment 108834

Using the stock charger, at $110 isn't this a much more affordable option then getting an adapter ($50) and a 220 outlet installed ($$$)?

Am I missing something?
You will be saving a lot of time.50 % charge in just two hours with the 220 level 2.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You will be saving a lot of time.50 % charge in just two hours with the 220 level 2.
Not true, if you’re using the factory evse it’s about 7-8 or so hours this is because while it is 240v the amperage doesn’t change its 240v at 15-16 amps bs a true level 2 is up to 32 amps or more. This car can accept up to 6.6KW or 32amps.

·
Registered
2013 FIAT 500e
1,992 Posts
Maybe this helps clarify:

110V with stock chargecord adds about 5%/4miles per hour (10 hours to recharge 40-mi/day US avg)
240V with stock chargecord adds about 10%/8mi per hour (40 miles in 5 hours)
240V aftermarket charge cord adds about 25%/20mi per hour (40 mi in 2 hours)

·
Registered
127 Posts
that’s all up to driver input, people driving Prius are more akin to bus in a carpool lane, annoying and holding everyone up.
In the Seattle area, the airport requires a hybrid in order to for cabs and Uber drivers to do pickups. The result is that if you see a black Prius around there, it's probably either stopping in the middle of the road or driving on the highway like someone stole it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts