Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Too much is never enough but I would think 160 would be awesome, 101 is fun but it could be so much more fun to have a more aggressive pull especially from starting off the "line". The 300HP article mentioned is the same 500 I have mentioned a few times, LOVE the idea of having that kind of fun with the 500!

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is such a thing as too much horsepower for a street car. Not too many places in day to day driving where one could wring out a typical 300 hp car.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'd be happy with 250.:p

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
There is such a thing as too much horsepower for a street car. Not too many places in day to day driving where one could wring out a typical 300 hp car.
Yeah i agree. 160 hp is plenty for a fwd car of this size. I think 160 sounds low compared to the 181 hp Cooper s and the 200 hp gti but once people actually drive it they will realize the 170 ft lbs of tq really will make this car feel fast for city driving and will make passing on highways a breeze.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I liked seeing that this car has that capability but as others have said 160HP will be plenty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Abarth like other turbocharged car will be easy to give more than the stock 160hp...... a turbocharger car can be tuned with only few part to give many HP!!!

Ex:

My Old Caliber Srt-4.....bone stock 285HP (+,-270whp)

My SRt-4 with custom tune (realtune performance) and downpipe w/o cat put 319whp on dyno (360-370 HP).......and cost me 1000$$

A Abarth with custom tune,wastegate and good exhaust system will deliver 200hp+ :)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Abarth like other turbocharged car will be easy to give more than the stock 160hp...... a turbocharger car can be tuned with only few part to give many HP!!!

Ex:

My Old Caliber Srt-4.....bone stock 285HP (+,-270whp)

My SRt-4 with custom tune (realtune performance) and downpipe w/o cat put 319whp on dyno (360-370 HP).......and cost me 1000$$

A Abarth with custom tune,wastegate and good exhaust system will deliver 200hp+ :)
Depends on what the internals are made of and if the current fuel system can deliver.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Depends on what the internals are made of and if the current fuel system can deliver.

Yeah Fiat has said they pushed as much HP as the stock 5 speed tranny can handle and unless they beefed up the engine internals I wouldnt want to run much more than 160 in a tiny 1.4 L. Plus what fun is driving around afraid that you're going to blow up the engine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah Fiat has said they pushed as much HP as the stock 5 speed tranny can handle and unless they beefed up the engine internals I wouldnt want to run much more than 160 in a tiny 1.4 L. Plus what fun is driving around afraid that you're going to blow up the engine.
The Abarth MultiAir 1.4 engine has been upgraded, it is not like the one in our 500's and that includes the tranny.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=E94AEC8AD956B2FB6900D5D3625BADD7?&id=11727&mid=1

Also, I believe the same tranny in the US Abarth is also used in the 695 Tributo which puts out 180HP.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The Abarth MultiAir 1.4 engine has been upgraded, it is not like the one in our 500's and that includes the tranny.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=E94AEC8AD956B2FB6900D5D3625BADD7?&id=11727&mid=1

Also, I believe the same tranny in the US Abarth is also used in the 695 Tributo which puts out 180HP.
Although other parts have been upgraded, the engines internal description of parts is identical to what we have. Only thing that changes is the compression ratio. Having an iron block as opposed to an aluminum block makes this engine more robust and capable of higher power. Once you start pushing the 200hp mark, something has to give whether it's the fuel system not keeping up or the engine not keeping the detonation in check.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I still think 160hp out of a fiat 500 is like watching 5 year olds box.

It's the same HP (though more torque) that the Civic SI put out back in the early 2000s. The cars are also close in weight. I know the 500 is not a performance car, and I never bought one thinking that.

Like the previous posters, I have had higher HP cars. I had a 311whp/358ftlbs Mazda 3 and a 475-500 fwhp Charger (tuned it was 420s at the wheels) I even had a 230whp GTI (woooo!)

Even with those two cars, I know I was low on the totem pole for "quick".

The Abarth looks cool. I like the interior a lot. It probably handles pretty well...but HP to me in these cars is largely moot. I'd be interested if they had an STI/Evo-esque version though. 300hp AWD would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The torque pull on a car this small will be surprising for a lot of people. 200hp will involve a bigger turbo, intercooler, ecu map and exhaust. At that point, if I'm looking for a hot rod, I'll look for a cheaper alternative.

My 92 Celica All-Trac had about 230hp, my 04 Volvo S60 Turbo had 265hp, and my 93 Hyundai Scoupe Turbo had 130hp, but weighed 2300 and I was taking on cars in the 220hp range with no issues.

My 02 Audi A4 fills that gap, 250hp, AWD, Turbocharged.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Although other parts have been upgraded, the engines internal description of parts is identical to what we have.
Sorry lorvar but you missed a slew upgraded components in the engine that we don't have in our 500's.

"High-performance engine design with high output
Selected as the “Best International Engine in 2010,” by a panel of 72 journalists from 36 countries, the new 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine in the Fiat 500 Abarth is designed to meet the rigorous demands of performance driving throughout its 6,500 rpm range.

Structurally, the 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine starts with a cast-iron block and an aluminum bedplate. Bore is 72 mm (2.83 inches) and stroke is 84 mm (3.31 inches) for a total displacement of 1368 cu. cm (83.5 cu. in.).

At the bottom end, a forged-steel crankshaft with select-fit main bearings is supported across four main journals. The crankshaft has been designed with lightened counterweights to reduce overall mass for high engine rpm operation.

Durability is ensured with the use of lightweight forged-steel connecting rods that have been designed with a unique cross section to minimize the longitudinal and lateral bending of the rod.

Lightweight pistons contribute to the overall strength of the reciprocating assembly and the engine’s high rpm capability. Full-floating piston pins are used for added strength. Piston cooling jets, located at the bottom of each cylinder, contribute to fuel economy by squirting oil on the bottom of the pistons to help maintain cylinder temperatures and reduce the possibility of hot spots along the cylinder walls or at the top of the piston that could lead to detonation."

·
Registered
90 Posts
The torque pull on a car this small will be surprising for a lot of people. 200hp will involve a bigger turbo, intercooler, ecu map and exhaust. At that point, if I'm looking for a hot rod, I'll look for a cheaper alternative.

My 92 Celica All-Trac had about 230hp, my 04 Volvo S60 Turbo had 265hp, and my 93 Hyundai Scoupe Turbo had 130hp, but weighed 2300 and I was taking on cars in the 220hp range with no issues.

My 02 Audi A4 fills that gap, 250hp, AWD, Turbocharged.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Abarth's pushing 200hp with just a tune.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Sorry lorvar but you missed a slew upgraded components in the engine that we don't have in our 500's.

"High-performance engine design with high output
Selected as the “Best International Engine in 2010,” by a panel of 72 journalists from 36 countries, the new 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine in the Fiat 500 Abarth is designed to meet the rigorous demands of performance driving throughout its 6,500 rpm range.

Structurally, the 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine starts with a cast-iron block and an aluminum bedplate. Bore is 72 mm (2.83 inches) and stroke is 84 mm (3.31 inches) for a total displacement of 1368 cu. cm (83.5 cu. in.).

At the bottom end, a forged-steel crankshaft with select-fit main bearings is supported across four main journals. The crankshaft has been designed with lightened counterweights to reduce overall mass for high engine rpm operation.

Durability is ensured with the use of lightweight forged-steel connecting rods that have been designed with a unique cross section to minimize the longitudinal and lateral bending of the rod.

Lightweight pistons contribute to the overall strength of the reciprocating assembly and the engine’s high rpm capability. Full-floating piston pins are used for added strength. Piston cooling jets, located at the bottom of each cylinder, contribute to fuel economy by squirting oil on the bottom of the pistons to help maintain cylinder temperatures and reduce the possibility of hot spots along the cylinder walls or at the top of the piston that could lead to detonation."
Lol, no need to apologize, but I can send a link to another site that shows we have all that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts