Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove the newish Vancouver Island Inland Highway from Nanaimo to Campbell River on the weekend (about an hour plus of sweeping curves, some straightaways, a few inclines) through, for the most part, uninhabited Canadian West Coast bush. Cruised along at 140 no problem, bumped it up to 150 and a slight shimmy kicked in but still felt comfortable; then floored it and crept up to 180, at that point the wheels began to chatter and, never having driven that fast previously, I backed off. Oh, the instant economy was reading 12L/100k...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Mine ran out of puff at 180kmh. My slow old Volvo hit it's limiter at 250kmh. :p

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I cruise at 80 to 85 regularly and up to 90,95 with spirited driving and went to 110 once.

Sent from my Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
if im driving over 70mph mine gets all squirrly. fastest ive gone is 83. not the funnest freeway cruiser.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had no idea our cars could go that fast...

Maybe a high-speed wheel balance would fix the shimmy issue.

I thought I read in the Vancouver Sun that the local traffic police are being extra-vigilant this month as it's traffic-safety month or something. Just in case you feel the urge again. lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wonder where the point is that HP=Top speed. Our cars do 112mph with 101hp and the abarth does ~130mph with 160hp, so it must be somewhere in between there.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
118mph is my current top speed and all was very stable given the velocity and the gentle curve in the road

·
Registered
88 Posts
with h&r springs I`ve had my Abarth up to 137mph or 220kph... um on private roads of course... so much more stable with the springs.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
seen 120mph on cut Pop springs - stabile as can be :)

·
Banned
5,539 Posts
60 mph with mine and killer mpg, new one Road&Track shows 180mph hummmmminteresting lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had mine up to 116, it was more stable than I though it would be. My previous car was a bmw 325ci with the dinan3 upgrade, I had that up to 145. I've had my Ducati 999 up to a bit more than that. I rented a ///M6 a couple of years ago in Vegas, I pushed 160 in it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Most cars are drag limited. And drag increases as the square of the speed. So double the HP< you get 1.414 times the max speed, all other things being equal.

The Abarth does 80 MPH at 3500 RPM, with a 6500 RPM redline. So engine speed limited top speed would be 148 MPH.

Reactions: bogg

·
Banned
762 Posts
60 mph with mine and killer mpg, new one Road&Track shows 180mph hummmmminteresting lol
It is interesting...it's a 180 KM/HR....just so you know.

And the dreaming question was ARE YOU STILL HERE DREAMER....not ARE HERE STILL DREAMING?

Seriously what are you doing here? I thought you'd be rumbling around in your collection of 2000HP cars with your buddies....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts