Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 185/65 snow tires I would like to put on a 500 this winter, but I am wondered about the extra 1.5" in height. I imagine there is more than 3/4" clearance over the stock tires, but I wonder how it would affect the car's speedometer, gear ratios, etc. Could the computer be reprogrammed to accommodate the new tire size?

185/55 snow tires seem hard to find, and these tires have at least a couple of seasons left on them, so that's $400 I could save.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Is there a way to tweak the computer so the speedometer and odometer and other meters are accurate?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will give a nice compliant ride incase you hit a pot hole though. They may be massive but so is our factory wheel gap.
Replace 'in case' with 'when' and that pretty much describes the roads around here.

We also don't get icy roads that often because they use so much rock salt, but because of that we get a couple inches of this mushy mashed potato-like stuff on top until it can be completely plowed. The extra 3/4" of ground clearance would be nice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You will definitely have less power to the ground but that is not really a concern in winter for most people. If you need snow tires on the vehicle than at that moment you really don't need maximum power. Unless you are doing some rallye racing with studded tires.

Post a picture of your monster truck when you get the tires on.

Last winter in my old Mustang GT I put my stock Jeep tires on for winter. It was definitely a smoother ride and I didn't really notice a lack of power but the traction was nice compared to my summer only F1 tires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to do that to my Golf the last couple of years. Make it a modern Golf Country. Not that extreme, but slightly longer springs, roof rack, external spare tire mount, etc.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I ran a set of 205/65/15 tires on my C70 for a few winter seasons. They were huge and lifted the car up significantly. My summer set-up at the time was a 215/45/17. A little extra clearance in winter isn't bad, especially since my car is lowered. But they rubbed pretty bad on the front when turning and made the thing look like a monster truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts