Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Before I bought my Fiat I had read a lot of articles and reviews suggesting that it was either targeted at young urban drivers, or as a second car for families, etc.

In reality neither of these descriptions apply to me. (Basically I'm in my late 40's, I live in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington DC and its my only car).

Anyway, its got me wondering what other peoples experience is.

Is your Fiat a 2nd car, or your only car?

Are you a younger or older driver?

Do you live in an urban area, the suburbs, or other(?) area?

Etc?

Just Curious

Regards

PF

PS. I apologize if there is already a post about this elsewhere, I tried to do a quick search but didn't see one.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I dunno if I fit any of those definitions. I'm married and have a small child. This is the family's second car, but I use it everyday. Also, we sometimes go out during weekends in it, because it's far easier to park, and honestly, a lot more fun than our CR-V.

So, I may say it was supposed to be our second car, but ended up sort of being the first choice for driving around the city. I suppose that when we do some road trips, the CR-V is going to be our choice, though.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
thats the geat thing about this car, is that it appeals to everyone. I dont think its as "cute" or "girly" as people say, its a very well styled hatchback with a lot of character. I'm a 25 year old and this is my only car. Its also so customizable its easy to personalize it and make it your own, which is another thing I love about it

·
Registered
343 Posts
I wouldn't call it a girly car at all. My wife doesn't really "get" the car, she prefers her big CR-V, for reasons unknown to me. Same thing with a very good friend - his wife drives a Murano, and he said he'd sell his 2007 Audi A4 to get one just like mine (he's 57, and has a little girl, too), but his wife said it looked like a giant Fisher-Price toy.

If anything, it's a young-at-heart kind of car, not a "girly" one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I have not posted up my intro yet, i wont until i recieve my car hopefully soon.
I ordered a rosso sport. This will be a second car but daily driver. My other car is a porsche cayman that i like to use on the weekends and nice driving days. I am in my late 20's. I am trading in my xterra and like i said using the fiat as a daily driver. even in the winter (snow tires)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Funny what people classify as "girly" or "manly" cars. Most guys think Mustangs and BMW's are cool yet every female secretary and hairdresser in my city drives one (V6's and non-M's, of course). And cars like the Miata and 500 which some guys might call girly are modded to the hilt and raced in droves every weekend on tracks all over the world.

You won't catch me dead driving a V6 Mustang or 128i.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Thanks for the feedback. I was just kind of curious. Although alot of the articles I have read suggested that the car might be more targeted to young urban types I noticed that my dealer has a Facebook page where they post pictures of all their customers picking up their cars and most of the people pictured there look to be probably middle aged like me.

[On a side note - in the past once I stopped in a Scion dealership while helping my sister look for a car, and I felt really way too old and really out of place there.]

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
470 Posts
I bought mine as a second car... The first car is a 2011 BMW 535i. I have not driven the BMW in 3 weeks... (I got the 500 3 weeks ago) At what point does the second car become the 1st car?

Love the car. I was stopped 3 times on the road... and got 2 thumbs up from other drivers. :cool:

I am a recently married 43yo SoCal Realtor w no kids

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi,

I'm male, mid-40's, this is my primary car, my wife has her own car. It's my everyday driver. I drive a mix: primarily highway for work (50 miles each way, three days a week), I live in a rural area outside a small town. What I do the least of is actual city driving.

I get constantly teased about the car being a "girl's car" -- some of it in good fun, some of it not, frankly. I do live in a fairly socially conservative area, and there are a lot of cars I hear people bashing as being in the same group.

The funny thing about it is, if it's such a girl's car, why have only two women approached me about it, but at 45 men have? That's interesting....

One more thing, when I first test drove the 500 in March, the dealership wasn't opened, they didn't have cars, just the one to drive. I commented to the sales rep that I was probably the oldest guy he had test drive one and his comment was, "Not even close."

Ryan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well i'm 23 the fiat was bought to be my primary/reliable car so It'll be used for the winter too. The Lada Niva, though loads of fun, just wasn't working out. Also now the '92 2L 16V VW GTi will be the "weekend / summer" car,not that it was ever winter driven simply driven every day that there was no snow. Now waiting to get it back on the road.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Its kinda funny you know. Much of the automotive press and such seem to have missed a lot of the cars market appeal. Im in my mid 40's and when I was in the dealership, almost everyone looking at the cars was 35+ and many 50+. I think the cars look resonates with an older demographic in a way that many have underestimated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Guys a cars popularity has nothing to do with car reviews in a magazine. If it did, would we see so many people buying Camry's and Priuses? Car magazines are aimed at enthusiasts and mainly rate cars on acceleration and handling at speeds far beyond the legal limits. They are not missing the appeal, just questioning it's manliness, reliability, and sportiness. And c'mon is anyone on this board prepared to argue that the car is fast? I wouldn't.

But, what they are missing potentially is a market bored by these silly horespower wars. Why would anyone think that sports sedans with over 300+ hp is a great idea? Yes, it sounds **** cool, and would be great fun )with the proper suspension) on a race course. But, that's just silly. Heck, it's no different then the bufoons in Hummers who never go off-road. Those cars will almost never see a race track, so that much power and torque is all wasted.

The fiat's beauty is that it's an econo box that thinks it's a luxury car. Nice and quiet interior, all the bells and whistles, italian style and panache, and yup it's fun to drive and throw around to. And since it's relatively underpowered we can really rev 'er up and throw her around without breaking too many laws. A little more power would be appreciated, or at least better mpg at this level, but based on current competitors no other car can match all of the attributes at a comparable price. The mini is obviously closest, and is more fun to drive in fact, but it's also much louder and harsher to drive around, and for a comparable car would be $10,000 more expensive in Canada.

For the record, I'm 40, married with two little kids who will occasionally be in the back, but my wifes CRV is the main family hauler.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm 22, it's my second car. First "new" car.
I'd say I drive the Fiat about 75% of the time.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
im 45, love small hatches, and i had just had enough of driving appliances like the yaris and corolla and had no interest in the others hatches like the versa, fit, accent....

i loved the old vw rabbit. it was fun and had a little style. the 500 reminds me of that car.

as far as mpg's, i think the manual transmission is far more capable than the 30/38 rating would suggest. here are my figures for the 220+ mile drive home from the dealer yesterday (and i wasnt doing anything special...just being careful not to rev too high and keeping the speed between 45-60 mph).

(44.5 mpg's...this reading was after some idling this morning while fiddling around)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm 37, wife, 2 yr old kid. The other car is a FJ cruiser.
Right now I am driving an SRT8 charger. It's fun, makes about 500 hp in its current tune and drinks gas, eats tires, eats brakes, and is milking me dry at the wallet.

I started out driving VW beetles. Moved on to A1 VW water cooled cars (rabbit GTI, scirocco (both versions) and then on to the A2, A3, and A4 versions of the GTI. With each iteration, I felt VW drifted from the original Rabbit GTI.

I drove the Fiat for shits and giggles and was right back to driving my old Rabbit GTI. Sure, it's a little heavier (about 300lbs) but it's 100hp, quieter, better fuel econ (those Rabbits were geared low) and hopefully as reliable.

so I'm moving from my numb feeling Dodge Charger to something with about 400hp less and frankly, I'm pretty excited about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
wife (26): 2012 fiat 500 sport
me (28): 2009 honda fit sport
both: very happy.
although, i am a bit jealous of how awesome the fiat is.
we have no kids and this is for both of us our second cars/first new cars.
she had a '99 v6 mustang and i had a '92 nissan maxima (both were bought used when we were in high school).
we might not buy a new car for a long time, but if i get a chance, the fiat is at the top of my list at the moment... just ahead of the 2012 ford focus hatchback

·
Registered
233 Posts
As far as previous cars go
I started out with an '89 16V GTI - stolen twice from my driveway for parts!
Next was a '91 Eagle Talon AWD (Mitsubishi Eclipse co-branded).
Then came a '96 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, that while it's had issues, none have been major enough (or expensive enough) to justify a new car. And frankly, none of the cars I tested over the years has impressed me enough to justify the upgrade cost.

Even now, I can't quite justify selling the A4, since the resale seems very low (best case seems to be $2,000). So, at least for the next year I'll hang on to as a backup car and for winter driving.

Lalosada -> Nice choice of cars. I probably would have bought the Fit myself if it was offered with the hi-tech goodies (bluetooth, Navigation) here in Canada. It's not in the same class as the Fiat which has delusions of being a Lexus competitor, but offers better speed, a great driving dynamic and with a much more convenient form factor.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi

Its kinda funny you know. Much of the automotive press and such seem to have missed a lot of the cars market appeal. Im in my mid 40's and when I was in the dealership, almost everyone looking at the cars was 35+ and many 50+. I think the cars look resonates with an older demographic in a way that many have underestimated.
It'd be interesting to see what the mix of buyers turns out to be after awhile. Today in the parking lot of a Sushi restaurant I frequent, a middle aged guy who was also eating there started asking me some questions about my car, so I gave him a quick tour. (I had already showed the car off to the sushi chef and two of the waitresses last week :) )

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here's the thing I learned. I love cars with character and charisma - a soul. Interestingly enough, all of the cars that have had *it* have been European, except for my old Sentra SE-R. My old Clio Sport, my Cooper S (even though it spent most of its life at the dealership being fixed), my dad's BMW 325 - those cars have "it".

Even though my 500 is slower than every one of those cars, it still manages to have some sort of wacky and cheerful personality I love. I just feel happy driving the car. It's *enough* for me - enough power, enough space, enough fun. It makes me want to rev it up to redline. It makes me want to wash it. There's something about it that makes it far better than it has any right to be.

Considering my last car was a C30 tuned turbo 5, this is quite something.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Mid 40's married.

We just ordered a 500C as our 3rd vehicle for leisure and economical commutes.
Wife's main drive is a Honda CRZ
Our other vehicle is Honda Element which usually sports two large Weimaraner's

1 - 20 of 42 Posts