Fiat 500 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Really tough call, no right answer here.

I suppose the gamble is the integrity of the rest of the Car. You don't want to pay $1400 then get an engine or trans issue 2 months later, plus there is no Guarantee that Top won't malfunction again in the future.

If this is a Daily Driver, as much as I hate to admit it. I'd lean towards moving on from it. Although it kills me to say this, I'm just being fiscally realistic.

But, I don't recommend soft tops as a Daily no matter who the Manufacture is. Cost of ownership is just too potentially expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is a really hard choice, but I don't know what options you'd have. I suppose you could get the top pulled back up and disable the power top switch. I assume, after repair, trade would be around $2K, with the dealer reselling at $8 to $10K.

With the top up in a fixed position, the car will still be fun to drive, just not as much fun as it was previously and maybe you could decide next spring? (Around here, convertible season is nearly over.)

I would go for it, but that's just me. I spent close to that on trim options, stereo and sound proofing on my car.
Sadly, the trunk open/close is connected to the roof system. If you secure the roof closed, the trunk will not open unless you climb in through the rear seat and manually pull the trunk emergency latch.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Really? The guy I chat with in Seattle cranked his closed manually and he could work his trunk (if I understood him correctly).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in this exact same situation a year ago. Car was no longer in warranty. The dealer would only offer to replace the entire convertible top as an assembly, somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,500 total. The cables that move the roof were the only part that needed replaced.

Fortunately I found a local automotive upholstery shop that had worked on these models with the same problem. They were able to replace the cables and the whole job was about $1,000. Took a day. Works perfectly ever since.

I recommend looking for a similar shop in your area and hopefully you can get things working without breaking the bank.
Where are you located and what was shops name???? Please

21 - 24 of 24 Posts