Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 cabrio 500c and had the odometer start flashing at around 95,000km. In addition, blue & me no longer works.
I have tried disconnecting the battery and a few other suggested tricks from this forum, but nothing works.
just wondering if there is something i can (note: I’m not a mechanic or the such) do myself to fix easily? Thanks

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have a 2012 cabrio 500c and had the odometer start flashing at around 95,000km. In addition, blue & me no longer works.
I have tried disconnecting the battery and a few other suggested tricks from this forum, but nothing works.
just wondering if there is something i can (note: I’m not a mechanic or the such) do myself to fix easily? Thanks
Hello Fiat20122020,
We are sorry to hear about your recent troubles with your odometer. Unfortunately due to the nature of our team we are unable to assist customers outside of the United States. You can, however, reach out to Canadian customer care for potential assistance:
1-800-521-9900.
Laura
FiatCares

·
Registered
968 Posts
The flashing speedo is warning of a CANbus communication error. Yes, disconnecting the battery (for up to half an hour) sometimes causes the system to reset. As I understand it, this causes the components to re-negotiate, much like rebooting your PC. The stereo seems to be the weak link on the 500 and sometimes requires a manual reset to get it back online. That's performed via an OBD scan tool and can be done by your dealer and most better repair shops.

CANbus is your car's "innernet". Bosch developed it in the early 90's and it's gone on to be an international standard in vehicles, IOT, etc. Each module has its own identifier code recognized by the system. If that ID is lost/garbled/unrecognized in a module's memory, it has to be reset. The process takes about 15 minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts