Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I wonder if anyone can make recommendations for helping our 12 Cabrio ride more smoothly on our horrible bumpy rural roads?

Are there tires or tire pressures I should investigate that would make a difference.?

The ride is fine except over rough pavement.

We are older and sport driving is not important...ride comfort is.

Many thanks

David Graves

·
Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
153 Posts
@DavidGraves

Tires = look for an all season or touring tire that will have a softer sidewall and a little bit of extra width.
Link: General Altimax RT43 - 195/55/15's on FiFi

Shocks - not much out there that comes to mind that is adjustable for softer feel
other than KONI's = $$$
LINK: FIAT 500 / SUSPENSION

Springs - every thing offered is either lowered (harsher) OR factory height BUT stiffer (harsher).

The 500 is a lightweight, short wheelbase city car, and that in itself doesn't help with the roads you're driving on.

Hope that helps -

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
Dave, there is nothing you can do. to really improve the ride Quality of a small city car. Especially on gravel, rocky roads. Tires, shocks, extra weigh, aren’t going to help. The 500 wasn’t designed to drive on back roads. We owned a smart car once. It was really bad. It’s the nature of the beast. Get you self, a padded seat cushion. You might want to try a 16” wheel,
with a taller side wall. You car has 15” wheels.

Tire Plant Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
Nor-Cal PRK
153 Posts
Thanks Dave

I have in mind carry a couple of heavy weights in front of the rear seat to smooth the ride.

David, you're welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
For the front, you could try a set of 500 Abarth FSD front struts. Generally free from somebody who has swapped theirs out for Koni's. We've installed a few sets into club members' non-Abarth cars with good results. Use new upper strut mounts to prevent creaking.

For the rear, almost any non-OEM shock is better than the OEM. The popular and inexpensive swap is KYB Gas-Adjust. Just did a couple sets of those (details available with a search).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts