Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on insideline checking out some Fiat 500 topic's they had posted and surprisingly they do not recommend getting the Fiat 500 with the sunroof.

If you do own a Fiat 500 with a sunroof, this is your time to chime in. Is the sunroof that much of a bother as the article explains?

Even if you didn't buy the sunroof or even a Fiat 500, feel free to chime in :)

Read on...

When I climb into Fiat 500, I look like this. Yes I'm tall, but it's quite rare that I find myself into a car's roof like this. Now, this is a result of two things. The first is the tall seating position, which creates more than enough legroom. The second is the 500's sunroof (optional on our Sport model), that robs a few valuable inches of headroom. I fit without any problem in 500s without the sunroof.

Yet, since we annoyingly ordered our 500 with the sunroof, I've been forced to cope in these following ways...

Option 1: The Gangsta Lean

Sure, I look balla (ha!), but as I'm not rollin in an Impala, I'll just wish I wasn't as talla. OK, I'm done. Even with my right hand more appropriately on the tilt-only wheel, I'm too far away for comfort (and for being in proper control of the car).

Option 2: The Slouch

This works, but if I were to drive the 500 like this long enough, I'd probably have to resign my position here and retreat to a life living in a bell tower. Your mother told you never to slouch and she was right.

Now, what if you're not tall? Well, even average-heighted folks have commented that they feel uncomfortably close to the roof. And even if they don't, there's a second problem. The sunshade does little to actually shade you from the sun as the below picture shows.

Seriously, don't buy the sunroof. The 500 Lounge trim comes standard with it, but it's optional on the Pop and Sport. Skip it.

James Riswick, Automotive Editor @ 6,753 miles

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm only 5'8" so I don't have a problem with head clearance at all. I do have a problem with the useless screen that goes over it. I may start cutting some sheets of ceramic tint for the bottom side to help with the heat.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
5'10" here and no issues with the sunroof. I can see how someone 6'2"+ would have an issue, it is tight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sunroof:

Ok, I bought a Prima with the sunroof and am 6'0" on the dot. I fit fine with the sunroof and although its a little close to the roof on days I wear my pompadour high ;) the visual room that it opened up far surpassed the added inch or 2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sunroof

I'm 6'4" and have a lounge with the sunroof, I do the slouch and wear a hat so my hair doesn't rub. There is no way that I would have this car without a sunroof, it just makes it more fun for me. With the windows down and the sunroof open it feels like a convt. I am in a much better mood when arrive to work. By the way the owners manual says there is only 1.3" difference.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
actually the Lounge comes standard with a permenantly FIXED glass roof.

like the Sport and Pop, the Power Sunroof is optional on the Lounge.:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
6 feet tall, LOVE my sunroof, wouldn't have bought my car any other way. The car looks SO cool with the sunroof all the way to the back.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I test drove a Sport and i will get it with a Sunroof. The sunroof opens it up more and lets more light in. I am 5'10" and have no problem with it. I had a friend thats 6'4" sit in it and he said it was comfortable except the sunroof didn't leave much room. The sunshade i don't have a problem with its the exact same as i had in my MINI Cooper, it lets in light but not too much and doesn't let heat in.

I can give you Option #3 which is just leave the shade open or the sunroof cracked open.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I love the sunroof, it improves the look of the car from the outside and makes it feel so much bigger on the inside.

As for the shade, I think it is great. I first saw one like this in an A3 with the glass roof and liked it; and now owning a car with it is great. I never closed the standard shades because it seemed to defeat the purpose of buying the sunroof. But this, it is excellent for those hot days where you want the air from the roof but don't need the sun beating so hard on you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i originally had my heart set on a sport with a sunroof, but when i finally sat in one, i realized it was not designed for me at 6'4 - i found it really unnerving to have a roof just barely touching my hair, so it led me to debate for a bit whether to go convertible or hardtop. I agree, it looks best with the sunroof, but that inch and a half means a lot...

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah, im ia bit over 6'5 so sunroof was not an option for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm 5' 10" and have driven the car three times (I'm currently shopping). I've not had a problem sitting in it or driving it with the S/R; and I consider it a must have option. I don't normally purchase a car without a sunroof anymore.

I think our reviewer was looking for something to do.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Does anyone else look at the first pic, and think that if he weren't such a drama queen, he could untilt his head, and have plenty of room? :rolleyes:

I'm wondering if he knew about the seat height adjustment.

I'm 5'10" and like others here, had no problem with the sunroof on my test drive through SoHo. I almost touch the sunroof in my crx, due to the aftermarket seat, and for those who are uncomfortable with having their head so close to the roof, do you really think that extra inch is really going to save you in a rollover? You only live once. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
6'2" here and I have no problems with it. Have you tried chopping your head off for more room?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was gravitating towards a cabriolet but the sun screen being the only way to blot out the sun, especially when it's 100 degrees sealed the deal for a 500C for me. Top up and AC on in this mess....yikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat with a lot of you.
I had a Sport 500 for a week while on vacation and simply loved it. I am, however, 6' and found the sunroof/ceiling to be a touch close to the side of my head for my liking.

I have an order in right now for an Abarth, and I'm waffling on whether or not to get the sunroof because of this.
I sit fairly straight up-and-down while driving, but I could adjust that a bit. I'm just worried about the safety of having my head that close to the top, you know?

I live where a sunroof is nigh unusable for 8 months of the year, but what a difference it makes having one for the other 4 months...

Gagh! Decisions. If only the bloody seat would go further down.

Perhaps an aftermarket "spoiler" style one?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts