Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good to know Fiat thought ahead with storage space for the driver. If I had that extra slot for my iPhone in my current car it would make things much easier. usually i end up leaving my phone resting by the speedo while my starbucks coffee sits in the cup holders!

no need for that now!

do you guys think we can use extra space for other stuff we use on a day-to-day basis?

from inside line...

My iPhone and parking card usually end up in a car's cupholders. If I'm using my iPod, it could end up in there too. Should I be going a longer distance and have a bottle of water, things get tricky.

That's why I like the tri-cupholder dealy bob in the 500. Its narrow forward bin in particular keeps my iPhone or iPod secure and easily reached. From a cupholder perspective, you could put two smaller cups/cans in it and/or one jumbo gulp. Sure, the unit could be mounted a little higher, but it's a simple, yet thoughtfully designed feature that makes a difference.

James Riswick, Automotive Editor @ 8,765 miles

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah, standard "small" fast food soda cups barely fit, but their lids collide. If not careful when pulling a cup out to take a sip, you could pop the lid off the other cup, or your own. So when it's more than just me, the passenger uses one of the rear cup holders, and I use the big center one. Still, for such a small car to have this much storage is really great.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
I use the front bin for my company corporate garage opening device. My ipod sits inside the glove box netting, connected to the USB plug hidden. I wish there was a open bin under the drivers side AC vent, like the European cars have. I would put my home garage door opener in it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would put my home garage door opener in it.
Our garage door opener came with a clip, and we have it clipped up on the passenger visor. Maybe you could run over to a big box or other retail store, and buy a new garage door opener that comes with the clip?

BC.

·
Registered
453 Posts
or buy a stick on clip. ;-)

I'd saw the bin under the vent in the Euro cars and thought that would be nice, but then I realize that I'd have my knee in it as often as not, so don't mind that it's gone.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I use that space for my phone also. my garage door opener is an OLD Genie and is VERY BIG. I just keep it in one of the rear cup holders and in the other cup holder is a coin holder.

the net on the passenger side of my dash holds my record book to keep mileage for our business and in the drivers door pocket I have my USB cable for charging my phone, my camera, a flashdrive for my ecoDrive and a CD or 2.

what's nice is that everything is within reach......even while driving. :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ok, here's my inventory:

Driver's door holds phone charger and wallet
Front cupholder holds (at various times) phone, sunglasses, work badge, and parking pass
Rear cupholder holds a canister of gum (wife's), a pen, and keys (to wife's car)
Passenger door holds umbrella
Nothing in the pockets in the seatbacks

·
Registered
433 Posts
i use the mesh pocket on the shotgun side for my mp3 player, the slot in front of the cupholder is for my EZ Pass. I have a stuffed Domo Kun sitting in the cupholder itself.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I sometimes use the outer mesh pocket for my phone, but it usually goes unused. The inner mesh pocket holds my registration and insurance info.

·
Registered
825 Posts
That glove box, by the way, is pretty small, even for a small car. The owners manual folio even has a hard time fitting in there.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I keep egg salad in my cup holders. Now that it's getting colder outside, I don't have to eat it as fast.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My owner's manual fits very easy into the glove box. I sometimes put my Tom Tom on top of it or to the left of it, with the bracket and all. And that is with Ipod, air guage, Leatherman, wipes and various paperwork. Try putting you manual on the right side of the glove box, but long ways, not side ways.

·
Premium Member
22,120 Posts
Owners manual fits best on the passenger side pocket on the rear of the seat. Glovebox is sized well enough to hold a Leatherman and a Model 27 Glock, just have to realize it can sit on the door as you close it. Wouldn't hurt to be a little larger so no need to sit items on the door as closing but all i n all it is sized well enough, not ideally, just enough.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, standard "small" fast food soda cups barely fit, but their lids collide. If not careful when pulling a cup out to take a sip, you could pop the lid off the other cup, or your own. So when it's more than just me, the passenger uses one of the rear cup holders, and I use the big center one. Still, for such a small car to have this much storage is really great.
quick solution is getting one of those cup holders that slide inbetween the inner door panel and window. i picked up a few cheap ones from my local auto parts store and that avoided cups from colliding when i had a 500 for a bit

1 - 20 of 33 Posts