Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the article it makes you wonder what the majority of the public thinks about the Fiat 500.

To the Fiat 500 owners on this forum, have you noticed other drivers checking out your car and giving you/the car the stare?

Some time ago, Takahashi went on a rant about the low CDI rate for our 2012 Fiat 500 Sport. Part of this can be attributed to it being driven by Mark Takahashi, part of it is because only males between 45 and 70 seem to have any interest in the car.

But there's a darker theme here on the D(dudes)DI side of things: They are constantly disappointed that I am not an attractive (presumably) young lady.

Drive the Fiat 500 through L.A. for more than 20 minutes and you'll get two kinds of stares: The first is from older guys who dig Fiats. Mostly all car guys. Usually driving something cool, but quirky. The second type, though, that's the problem. These are young males between 16 and 35, often driving base BMWs with automatics or third-hand Mercs or Lexus SUVs and always wearing Oakley or Prada shades.

They roll up slowly, even if their line of traffic is going well, and are leering at the Fiat when they get side-by-side. And then you see their face sink as they hurry past as if they were expecting something other than an unshaved guy in a hoodie and, frankly, disappointed by the scene.

::shrug:: I think I look sharp in the car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't see every face in every car, but so far the majority has been genuine interest in the car, or a simple thumbs-up.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I had a older gentleman, compliment, on the car at the car wash. Also a cute young girl wanted to know what kind of car it was. She thought it was a Honda.

·
Registered
24 Posts
when i'm in the passanger seat of my wife's fiat i look at the rear view and check out what other's do.
i would say the majority check out the car, and they almost always turn away by the time they get side by side.
although, we have had people totally stare it up and down while driving, like a gentleman a couple of days back would speed up and slow down just to get a good look.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I went to CVS last night to pickup a script at the drive-thru. the young girl in there couldn't stop talking about the car, asking question after question. this went on for about 5 mins. THEN I finally asked her for my order. she said "Oh sorry...we're running about 4 hours behind. Can you pick it up later?"

I told her yes, I would be back tomorrow but thought to myself 'if you weren't wasting so much time talking about my CAR, you could have FILLED my prescription!!" :rolleyes:

we were eating breakfast at a local restaurant last Sunday when an older gentleman came up to our table and asked if we were the owners of the FIAT outside. of course HE wanted to talk all about the car too.

bottom line is that we've had all ages, sexes, etc...ask about my 500. they're all POSITIVE about it, which I find refreshing. didn't get the same response with our smart car......:p

·
Registered
825 Posts
Funny, because I made the same point a week or so ago in another thread. The only people who show any interest in my car are older men, especially if they'd owned a FIAT in the magical 70's, and young men, who think it's the next cool thing.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Mrs. Pickles used to get a lot of attention driving her VW Cabriolet

Mrs. Pickles gets a lot of attention driving my 500.

Mrs. Pickles gets a lot of attention driving her Toyota.

Mrs. Pickles has a mustache and eye patch.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi

Funny, because I made the same point a week or so ago in another thread. The only people who show any interest in my car are older men, especially if they'd owned a FIAT in the magical 70's, and young men, who think it's the next cool thing.

Ryan
I've also noticed that my car has attracted the attention of people who were born or lived for a while overseas where Fiats are very common.

Regards

Pat

·
Registered
582 Posts
Couple of weeks ago I had just washed my car then stepped into a store shortly after. When I came out their were multiple palm "edge" prints on my drivers windows, I guess someone was trying to get a better look through the tiny. I get equal stares from all sorts but the most surprising was a big harley davidson guy that was walking circles around my 500. He didn't seem the type as he looked like a Hells Angels kind of guy but it put a smile on his face.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Couple of weeks ago I had just washed my car then stepped into a store shortly after. When I came out their were multiple palm "edge" prints on my drivers windows, I guess someone was trying to get a better look through the tiny. I get equal stares from all sorts but the most surprising was a big harley davidson guy that was walking circles around my 500. He didn't seem the type as he looked like a Hells Angels kind of guy but it put a smile on his face.
Ha! We had a Harley couple stop and do a walk-around on Sunday; the other 500 owners we were with (cremaley) just happened to own an HD as well.
I thought it would only appeal to owners of Cagiva, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, and Ducati...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
NO love for MV Agusta, Benelli, and Laverda?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Almost bought a SB6R. I've only owned a ducati and aprilia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts