Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following inside line and their updates on the Fiat 500 they have which they continue to update the general public about.

Here's what happened to the driver seat on their 500, not something you would want to happen to your 500!

So there I am. I've got a car for the weekend, and I'm stoked. But as I stand ready to hop in, I look down and see a weird pattern on the driver's seat. Now, the lighting is a little random, so I move my head back and forth trying to cancel out any lighting anomalies, but it's no use.

That's a stain.

Is there any other way to say it? The stain looks to have emanated from the crotchal region of someone who drove the car.

I told myself it was just sweat. Tell me I'm right. Please. But we've had such a cool summer...

And another thing, take a look at the fabric. Your eyes do not fool you - the fabric has a metallic quality, see the right side bolster? That's light reflected off the seat cushion. I would expect a metallic surface to have less... absorbent qualities.

Someone give me a towel. And some denatured alcohol.

And please, tell me it's sweat.

Kurt Niebuhr, Photo Editor @ 8,449 miles

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yep I have that, just definitely not as bad. One trip to the beach is all it took.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had this same issue...water, sweat, rain drops. I hated it! I seriously hated opening the doors when it was raining. My son plays a lot of baseball and I dreaded him sitting down for the ride home....in the first 3 months I had the car I went thru 3 bottles of the cleaner in the pic. Can't just clean the spot, have to clean the entire seat. After it dries I vacuum the seat and it looked like new! I cleaned my seats more in 3 months than all vehicles Ive owned the last 20 years together...This is why I had the cloth removed and vinyl, matching my exterior, put in.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, I had an embarrassing stain on my light gray Golf seats when I knocked the snow off my snow brush and it melted and all the dirt in the snow stained the seat because it was light gray.

I plan to do mountain biking, so I'm getting some seat covers for it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is kind of funny, how companies spend tons of time designing the exterior of a product (a car's front end, the case of an iPod, car seats, etc) and people then rush to completely cover it in the name of protecting it. I realized this after I went to the Apple Store special to get a red iPod nano, instead of getting a black or silver one at any other store for the exact same price, then I put in a case and never saw the red aluminum.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For the life of me I can't understand why Fiat would put such a seat in the 500. Who wants to clean thier seats every freakin week???? What if you have a dog??

·
Registered
453 Posts
And so the hunt for good seat covers at a reasonable price accelerates...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've treated mine with 303's fabric protectant, supposedly better than Scotchguard.
But given how easily they stain, I haven't had the heart to test whether it works!
Even installed Weathertech window deflectors to hel prevent water coming in.
Geez, never had this concern with any other car I've owned. Almost as bad as the cheap plastic that shows every little thing, too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not sure I would ever put covers over seats with airbags, despite them saying they will rip through or you can slit them, plus I think they look worse than a small stain. Just be cautious with the seats, try and keep them clean and get the upholstery replaced later on. I guess I will see how the winter goes with them and maybe look at some alcantara or something later on if it becomes an issue.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts