Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
InsideLine got a Fiat 500 to take on a long-term road test and some 6800 KM's later they experienced a flat tire, but the car did not have a spare tire handy, instead they had to call a tow truck to get the Fiat 500 sport to a shop to be serviced. Here's what happened.....

Doesn't the Fiat 500 come with a road side assistance program from Fiat? If so, I wonder why they had to call a independent tow company.

I also wonder why this Fiat 500 Sport didn't come with a spare, after all it did have the space for it!

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/08/2012-fiat-500-sport-the-day-after.html

The Fiat 500 is available with an optional spare tire. In U.S. models, the spare is stored not in the cargo area, but under the rear of the vehicle.
Our car has no spare, so the morning after its tangle with the black lagoon, I make arrangements to have it towed to Stokes, our go-to tire shop.

If our 500 had the optional compact spare, this is where it would be located.

1: A Little Yelp?
AAA tells me that my membership only covers towing on trips of 7 miles or less. Stokes is about 10 miles away so I decide to do some research to find a decent towing company. I turn to Yelp and choose a company with glowing reviews and a 5-star rating. I make the call and the dispatcher tells me a tow truck can be there in 15 to 45 minutes.
Fifty minutes later, the truck hasn't arrived, so I place a follow-up call. A different dispatcher answers and he tells me he has no record of my previous tow request. He says a tow truck can be there in 15 minutes, and 12 minutes later, the tow truck arrives. I'm thinking maybe not quite 5 stars, but whatever.

2: Trucking It
The tow truck arrives. Because of how low the 500 rides to the ground, it takes the driver about 15 minutes to carefully load it onto the flat bed. The driver is portly, capable and outgoing, and appears to be in his 50s; he moved here from Manila 17 years ago. Thirty minutes later we arrive at Stokes, and by then I've learned that he has a four-year old granddaughter and a two-year old daughter, and that he once towed a vintage Mercedes-Benz from car show to car show.

3: The Estimate
Later, our Stokes service provider calls and gives us the verdict: The tire needs to be replaced. One must be special ordered and delivery will take place the following day; we're told that we will be able to pick the car up by the end of that day. Our cost for the tire is estimated at $155.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My Caliber Srt-4 doesn't have a spare tire.....frustrating when you have a flat tire...

When i bought the Fiat500 my dealer say me thet the spare tire it's optionnal.....200$.I thake this option and now if a flat occur no towing for me!!!

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
Mine came with a spare tire. Its a 100 dollar, factory option. I looked at every loaded Sport on the lot from Fiat for the spare. You have road side coverage too. I think it good for 36 months 50,000 mile to. You can't get the spare from the parts department. That what I was told by the sales manager. It cranks down like a SUV or mini van spare. What I can't figure out is why mine was so dirty on a brand new car.

·
Registered
13,464 Posts
After having a car without spare, for 3 years. With a stupid pump and some kind goop to pump in the flat. The spare tire is a life saver. That's if you have a flat tire, out in the middle of western Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas etc. I was surprised that all the 500 didn't come with them. Just 100 dollars more. Cheap!

·
Registered
343 Posts
A flat tire is not optional equipment (IMHO). It's kinda like saying a parking brake is optional equipment.

And no, runflats don't count, either (IMHO, again).

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
My Sport has the spare and the dealer did not mention it being an extra option but my car had aluminum door rocker panels, clear bra, tinted windows, and some other things that the dealer added, as for the roadside it is 4 yrs or 60K miles. I did check and find that I had the spare tire changing kit under the driver side seat as well before buying.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
A spare was one of the reasons I got the Safety and Convenience package on my Sport. Of course, auto air was the other reason. Security alarm was a bonus. Too bad the heated seats weren't also part of the package. Something about the model? Anyway, although I've only had to use a spare a couple times in my life, I feel it's worth every penny to have one on hand. I'd hate to have to wait over an hour just for a tow, let alone the time required to repair or replace the tire. My day would be bad enough just having to change to the spare.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Too bad the heated seats weren't also part of the package. Something about the model?
If you got a car with a manual transmission, you can't have heated seats from the factory.

Our dealer told us that the wiring harness for the manual transmission cars is being sourced directly from the European cars production line, where as the automatic transmission wiring harnesses are being produced here in the States, and that the European cars don't have heated seats.

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me, though.

BC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
But no auto car wash with spare?

Buried in the owners manual I recall it said that if you had the spare to NOT go through automated car washes. Anyone have confirmation one way or the other?
In general I avoid them, but during winter it's occasionally nice to get the first layers of grime off.
My Sport came with the spare/kit, but in 8 years of Mini I only used it once, particularly since the small jacks are a PITA.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Haven't had a flat in 20 years. That said, I'm glad that my car has the spare. The only red Sport automatic with Sirius came with a package that included the climate control and the spare. It also has heated seats, an option not very important to someone in Florida.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Buried in the owners manual I recall it said that if you had the spare to NOT go through automated car washes. Anyone have confirmation one way or the other? ..
I'm just guessing here, but I think it means not to go though a automated car wash if you the have the spare installed (in place of the original tire), not if it's just stored under the car.

I've seen a warning like this for other cars (this is from GM's web site) "Notice: When the compact spare is installed, do not take the vehicle through an automatic car wash with guide rails. The compact spare can get caught on the rails which can damage the tire, wheel and other parts of the vehicle.".

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
My dealer said it was an option for the spare but because they are a great dealer they throw in the spare for every car they sell.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts