Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article I got from Inside Line just talks about driving the Fiat 500 under the extreme heat and in this case the desert.

So if you love driving in the hot summer weather but don't want to be baking in it or live in somewhere like California which is hot all year round, this will be a good read for you! Enjoy.

I drove the 2012 Fiat 500 on the first leg of our fourth-annual Fuel Sipper Smackdown comparison test. This portion of the trip took us through Death Valley, where temperatures soared past 110 degrees. I'm not much of a cap wearer and I hadn't thought to bring one for this trip. I was going to be cooped up in a car all day and I wasn't driving a convertible, so what was the point? But after a few hours under the Fiat's mesh "sunshade," I was feeling like an ant under a magnifying glass. I reached into my bag and grabbed the first thing that would provide me with shade. This t-shirt wasn't the most elegant solution, but it worked.

Sunroof issues aside, the Fiat 500 was a pleasant car to drive on a road trip. It was not only capable of handling the desert heat, but also of putting up some impressive fuel- economy numbers. The 1.4 liter engine struggled a bit on some of the steeper grades, but it eventually made its way through Death Valley and the rest of the trip.

If I was in the market for a Fiat 500, I'd opt for the convertible with an automatic transmission. I commute in heavy stop and go traffic. And I'd get the convertible. Ironically, the convertible top provides better protection than the sunshade in the coupe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This article I got from Inside Line just talks about driving the Fiat 500 under the extreme heat and in this case the desert.

So if you love driving in the hot summer weather but don't want to be baking in it or live in somewhere like California which is hot all year round, this will be a good read for you! Enjoy.

I drove the 2012 Fiat 500 on the first leg of our fourth-annual Fuel Sipper Smackdown comparison test. This portion of the trip took us through Death Valley, where temperatures soared past 110 degrees. I'm not much of a cap wearer and I hadn't thought to bring one for this trip. I was going to be cooped up in a car all day and I wasn't driving a convertible, so what was the point? But after a few hours under the Fiat's mesh "sunshade," I was feeling like an ant under a magnifying glass. I reached into my bag and grabbed the first thing that would provide me with shade. This t-shirt wasn't the most elegant solution, but it worked.

Sunroof issues aside, the Fiat 500 was a pleasant car to drive on a road trip. It was not only capable of handling the desert heat, but also of putting up some impressive fuel- economy numbers. The 1.4 liter engine struggled a bit on some of the steeper grades, but it eventually made its way through Death Valley and the rest of the trip.

If I was in the market for a Fiat 500, I'd opt for the convertible with an automatic transmission. I commute in heavy stop and go traffic. And I'd get the convertible. Ironically, the convertible top provides better protection than the sunshade in the coupe.
I agree that the convertible provides better protection than the sunshade in the coupe. We had one of the hottest summers in years in Atlanta. 90 days of over 90 degrees and the inside of my 500 Cabrio was cool as a cucumber.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts