Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my daughters 2012 Pop and it is not even trying to crank. I verified the battery is good I pulled the starter and it tested fine. Checked fuses not sure what else to check

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
How long has the car been sitting?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to pickup a new code reader. The one that i currently have for all the other vehicles doesn’t work on the Fiat. As soon as I do I will post the codes
I have to pickup a new code reader. The one that i currently have for all the other vehicles doesn’t work on the Fiat. As soon as I do I will post the codes
I picked up a new code reader and got the following codes. P0520 p0974 p0420 p0626 p0977
K

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Go back a bit for us. First question - what it the issue that you were trying to solve? Did your daughter provide any info on what happened that caused whatever the issue that you are working on? It does not crank, meaning that starter does not run, or the starter tries to run but the engine does not crank? You do have some peculiar mix of codes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MAYBE corroded negative battery lead. Under the battery where it attaches to the body or transmission. There have been a few threads here on that. Also a video from UK with the TwinAir engine. But the symptoms are the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go back a bit for us. First question - what it the issue that you were trying to solve? Did your daughter provide any info on what happened that caused whatever the issue that you are working on? It does not crank, meaning that starter does not run, or the starter tries to run but the engine does not crank? You do have some peculiar mix of codes.
Turn the key and you do. It hear anything at all but all lights work. I took the engine relay out and tested it for resistance and also hooked the relay up to a battery and got continuity. However when we turn the key the relay does not click. It did a few times when the problem originally occurred. But now complete silence. I pulled the starter and tested it and it kicks in. Not sure where to go next.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turn the key and you do. It hear anything at all but all lights work. I took the engine relay out and tested it for resistance and also hooked the relay up to a battery and got continuity. However when we turn the key the relay does not click. It did a few times when the problem originally occurred. But now complete silence. I pulled the starter and tested it and it kicks in. Not sure where to go next.
Also she said there was nothing out of the ordinary. She got in the car turned the key and nothing. I verified the battery also and it is good

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Sorry, what do you mean by "turn the key and you do"? Does it mean that the starter turns? I understand that the starter is fine when tested independently out of the car, is that correct? If the starter does not turn, is it possible the defect is the neutral safety switch or brake switch?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Easy way to check for the corroded battery lead, If you have jumper cables, use only 1 lead. clamp one end on the negative of the battery, the other to a solid place on the engine block ( difficult to find from above ) maybe the engine side of the top right motor mount where the A/C tubing attaches. ( US passenger side )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Easy way to check for the corroded battery lead, If you have jumper cables, use only 1 lead. clamp one end on the negative of the battery, the other to a solid place on the engine block ( difficult to find from above ) maybe the engine side of the top right motor mount where the A/C tubing attaches. ( US passenger side )
Thank you I followed your advice and still nothing when turning the key. Unfortunately this did. It resolve it. I appreciate the info though

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, what do you mean by "turn the key and you do"? Does it mean that the starter turns? I understand that the starter is fine when tested independently out of the car, is that correct? If the starter does not turn, is it possible the defect is the neutral safety switch or brake switch?
I will check them. Also does it mean anything that after the first attempt to start the car you have to put the key in the off position in order to try and start the car again

1 - 20 of 33 Posts