Fiat 500 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thank you I followed your advice and still nothing when turning the key. Unfortunately this did. It resolve it. I appreciate the info though
Can't understand you. So you're saying you have a corroded battery cable?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Can't understand you. So you're saying you have a corroded battery cable?
I apologize I was typing on my phone and the message did not come out correctly. I tried the jumper cable from the battery to the engine and the car did not start at all. No click or anything. I checked and no corroded cable. Thank you for following up with me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Seems to me like the ignition cylinder. If all lights are working battery has tested good, starter tested good. Then my next two ideas would be either the ignition switch (not engaging the starter) or a disconnect somewhere between the positive battery cable and the starter. Use a multimeter and check for continuity at the hot side of the starter and the battery positive cable (with it disconnected), then see if you get battery voltage at the starter positive post with it connected. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Seems to me like the ignition cylinder. If all lights are working battery has tested good, starter tested good. Then my next two ideas would be either the ignition switch (not engaging the starter) or a disconnect somewhere between the positive battery cable and the starter. Use a multimeter and check for continuity at the hot side of the starter and the battery positive cable (with it disconnected), then see if you get battery voltage at the starter positive post with it connected. Keep us posted.
Appreciate it. I will let you know

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Appreciate it. I will let you know
Is there an easy way to test the ignition switch. And are there any good videos or instructions on replacing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you all for posting all of the encounter problems with the Fiat, I'm having some problems with mine and I'm considering soon as get it fixed I'm selling it. I hate to do it because my wife and I love that little car. I had a 2009 Smart for Two and never had any problem like I have been having with this car. Good luck to every budy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thank you all for posting all of the encounter problems with the Fiat, I'm having some problems with mine and I'm considering soon as get it fixed I'm selling it. I hate to do it because my wife and I love that little car. I had a 2009 Smart for Two and never had any problem like I have been having with this car. Good luck to every budy.
i can understand that. My daughter loves the car also. Other then this it has been pretty reliable

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is there an easy way to test the ignition switch. And are there any good videos or instructions on replacing it.
I havent found a good video on youtube for it. And have not personally had to chang it so i cant say for sure, I dont know the diagram for the ignition switch. but the way i know to test it is to..... pull the plastic from around the steering column, locate the plug attacthed to the ignition switch and then check for voltage going to each wire that comes off the ignition in each position... for my fiat that is off on and start. I believe the starter on the 500 is an always hot system and it is operated by a triggered ground ( not positive but is my understanding, as there is only one wire to the starter) so my assumption would be that while in the start position a black wire should get ground when it doesnt in other positions. If that is not the case, then it will be whichever wire gets power in the start position that doesnt in other positions. If no wires change either way in the start position i would say the ignition is bad. i hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I havent found a good video on youtube for it. And have not personally had to chang it so i cant say for sure, I dont know the diagram for the ignition switch. but the way i know to test it is to..... pull the plastic from around the steering column, locate the plug attacthed to the ignition switch and then check for voltage going to each wire that comes off the ignition in each position... for my fiat that is off on and start. I believe the starter on the 500 is an always hot system and it is operated by a triggered ground ( not positive but is my understanding, as there is only one wire to the starter) so my assumption would be that while in the start position a black wire should get ground when it doesnt in other positions. If that is not the case, then it will be whichever wire gets power in the start position that doesnt in other positions. If no wires change either way in the start position i would say the ignition is bad. i hope this helps.
Does anyone know a good way to remove the ignition switch. Do you have to remove the steering wheel to get to the nuts.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Did you confirm that the brake switch is working? On the manual transmission car, there is a safety switch fuse, T20 in the fuse box in the engine compartment. I don't know about auto trans cars, but you may want to check that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did you confirm that the brake switch is working? On the manual transmission car, there is a safety switch fuse, T20 in the fuse box in the engine compartment. I don't know about auto trans cars, but you may want to check that.
Yep brake switch is working. We had it towed to a Chrysler dealer and they could not find the issue. They said the transmission was keeping them from being able to communicate with the onboard diagnostics

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Go back a bit for us. First question - what it the issue that you were trying to solve? Did your daughter provide any info on what happened that caused whatever the issue that you are working on? It does not crank, meaning that starter does not run, or the starter tries to run but the engine does not crank? You do have some peculiar mix of codes.
We took it to a Chrysler dealer and they said that they could not diagnose it because the transmission was keeping it from communicating with the onboard diagnostic

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
We took it to a Chrysler dealer and they said that they could not diagnose it because the transmission was keeping it from communicating with the onboard diagnostic
Huh. I wonder what that means. Jeez, I don't know, man. The transmission. Could it be the control module? Or the transmission relay has something to do with it? It's really strange.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts