Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having an issue where the side panels near the bottom of my doors on my 2012 Fiat are coming off - you see some sort of glue or glue strip. Is there any way I can fix this myself?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi, veeichik, my 2012 Sport is having this same issue. At first, I thought either the tire shop, my mechanic or even me, had misguided the jack and had damaged the side skirt.
No, it appears the adhesive of the cladding tape has given up and I now have a 1/4" gap at the front edge of the driver's side and 1/8" gap at the rear. A local body shop told me I should keep an eye on it, but with 90% still stuck, he wouldn't want to try to pull it off.

·
Registered
12,609 Posts
Very common issue, on the 2012 models. Folks have tried to retape, glue it. It always looks like a bad fix. Best have a bodyshop do the repair, taking the side skirt competely off. Replacing it with fresh tape.

This guy, looks like he used bathroom tile chauking......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 500 with slight sill damage, seems the sport skirts would be a good cover up once the paintwork is sealed back ... was thinking of adding the sport skirts but read that they often fall off,,, Are they just stuck on to the vehicle with a tape entirely ?

If refitting is there a best tape or glue option that doesn’t fail ?

·
Registered
788 Posts
In the photo, it looks like the door and sill isn't straight... maybe a bad accident repair? I would assume the factory uses the same "impossibly strong" glue they use for the wing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts