Fiat 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long post & I apologize in advance..
I purchased my 2012 Fiat Sport 5-speed manual transmission, used w/ approx. 61,000 mi. in Aug. 2019, & it appeared to be well taken care of. I've only put approx. 900 mi. on the engine since purchase. (approx. 10 months)
Right after I purchased car, I took it to a Fiat dealership, to have it serviced & preform everything that showed in the service manual to be brought up to date for the mileage. Previous owner had car serviced indicated by work orders provided to me, but I do not know if they were all preformed to be sure.
We use primarily for towing behind our motorhome when we want to get away.
During the winter months in Ca. it sits in indoor storage along w/ the motorhome from late fall to early spring time, & I do start the car & let idle a few times during this period for 10 - 15 minutes.
Recently I went to start the car & it cranked but would not turn over. (never had any issues prior to that).
I checked connections, fuses, (display / warning lights) on speedometer & anything that I could, but did not see anything that looked out of normal.
I called the closest Fiat dealership & service facility & spoke with the service advisor there, & she told me that it is a common issue with the Fiat that the engine lost it's oil prime from sitting to long, & would not let the engine start.(never heard of an engine having an oil prime issue). The service advisor mentioned to me that priming the engine oil needed to be preformed by the service dept.& was not something the owner should try to do on their own.
After many days of trying to diagnose the starting issue, including, draining the oil, replacing spark plugs, checking compression, & the multi-air system, it was determined through checking the oil pump pressure that it was not showing enough pressure to start the engine.
The service advisor advised me that the oil pump needed replacement, along with gaskets, o-rings, etc.
After replacing the oil pump, misc. parts associated w/ the changeout, the service dept. was able to start the car & test drive it.
The service advisor told me that these cars do not like to sit idle for extended periods of time, without being driven regularly, & to be able to maintain a predetermined constant oil pressure to the engine.
I'am curious to know if anyone of you have experienced this issue in the past? & I would like to here your thoughts about this.
I guess I need to drive it more often when it's sitting idle for a few months, but I didn't think this would be cause to replace the oil pump.
I talked to the mechanic who preformed the oil pump changeout & asked him about the overall physical condition of the old oil pump, & he said it must have been an internal issue with it.

Thank You in advance for your reply!
R. Galli

·
Registered
910 Posts
These engines are unique in that they use super clean (regularly changed) oil to operate the intake valves and therefore start the car. There is one camshaft for the exhaust valves only. If the car hasn't been driven in weeks or months oil drains out of the cylinder head. You must crank the engine over multiple times at up to 10 seconds each time and wait 15-20 seconds between starts. This could take maybe 5-10 tries or more before the engine starts. You would want a battery charger hooked up whilst doing this. I see NO reason an oil pump would need to be changed nor any dealer intervention. The car will start.

This engine is 1400cc at 101 horsepower. A 68 VW bug was 1500cc and 53 horsepower. So that's about double the horsepower with this design and better gas mileage a far fewer emissions.

Reactions: thirdgear

·
Registered
10 Posts
For your information I am currently working on my 2012 Fiat 500 sport after getting stranded on the road luckily not on the highway. Oil pressure sensor light stopped me and couldn’t restart. After diagnosis from the dealer and finally on my own because I had it towed back home because they wanted 2000 plus dollars to continue. I have 94000km and Fiat Canada told me it’s 5 years past so the 100,000km will not warranty me. Another member CNQCNTO helped me out with instructions and I absolutely found the broken tooth piece from the pump that broke which caused no oil pressure. We are all here to help but never assume the impossible. This is certainly a manufacturer defect because it should never happen but it did. Too bad there isn’t recalls for these pumps.

·
Registered
171 Posts
These engines are unique in that they use super clean (regularly changed) oil to operate the intake valves and therefore start the car. There is one camshaft for the exhaust valves only. If the car hasn't been driven in weeks or months oil drains out of the cylinder head. You must crank the engine over multiple times at up to 10 seconds each time and wait 15-20 seconds between starts. This could take maybe 5-10 tries or more before the engine starts. You would want a battery charger hooked up whilst doing this. I see NO reason an oil pump would need to be changed nor any dealer intervention. The car will start.

This engine is 1400cc at 101 horsepower. A 68 VW bug was 1500cc and 53 horsepower. So that's about double the horsepower with this design and better gas mileage a far fewer emissions.
My friend will be checking this 2012 Fiat Sports next week after we finished installing the bumper and suspension lift kits on the Wrangler. It has been sitting for more than a year so we'll start with new fluids and try that engine cranking sequence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With patience I finally got everything back together on my oil pump replacement. It took 10 times of cranking to establish enough oil pressure to fire up the engine. All is well and up and running again. Saved myself 2000 dollars canadian or more which the dealer wanted.
For those who claim that the oil drips down after the car sits for quite awhile, I have seen videos posted on youtube whereby you have someone depress the little ball bearing in the oil filler spout using a thin philips screwdriver. Be patient and it takes consecutive cranking attempts before it finally fires up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With patience I finally got everything back together on my oil pump replacement. It took 10 times of cranking to establish enough oil pressure to fire up the engine. All is well and up and running again. Saved myself 2000 dollars canadian or more which the dealer wanted.
For those who claim that the oil drips down after the car sits for quite awhile, I have seen videos posted on youtube whereby you have someone depress the little ball bearing in the oil filler spout using a thin philips screwdriver. Be patient and it takes consecutive cranking attempts before it finally fires up.
what symptoms did you have that led to a bad oil pump?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did not have any symptoms whatsoever. I was driving to work and luckily just exited the highway and as I approached the intersection, I made a right turn and all of a sudden the red oil light symbol appeared and engine stalled. I tried to restart and all I got was a sound like no compression turning over. The only positive thing about this muti-air engine is that I was not able to restart the engine which the sensor did its job to prevent me from firing up the engine. If it did, there would have been no oil circulation and cause major damage to the engine. To verify if indeed the oil pump has failed, you remove the oil pressure sensor and crank the engine. Oil should stream out of the hole port. Or if you setup a manual oil pressure gauge at the sensor hole and have someone crank over the engine, you should have a reading for pressure. When I took the pump out, unbolted the plate and visibly, seen the broken internal pump gear. This is obviously a manufacturer defect but Fiat Canada did nothing for me. That sucks. Anyhow, I am still running okay now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts