Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after purchasing our 2013 Abarth (July, 2013), the shifter cable broke on our Abarth. the dealer replaced the cable and in doing so, discovered that the rentention bracket that holds the two shifter cables was installed improperly at the factory and/or broken. A new bracket was ordered but it turned out to be the wrong bracket. A second bracket was ordered and two months later they still can't get the bracket. The dealership has kept the car driveable due to a temporary fix involving the use of two zip ties keeping the shifter cable ferrules attached to the body of the gear box. The dealer says that an ETA on the part is still unknown due to the supplier/factory/etc. I asked them how people deal with cars that have been crash damaged - do they wait months for parts too? My question went unanswered. We absolutely love this car, but hate this portion of the Fiat experience thus far. I know that we live in a "just in time" world, but this is getting annoying. Who knows how long two zip ties will keep this thing going before it strands us? Anyone else had a similar experience and what (if anything) have you done to expedite the process?

Safe motoring.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Are you in the US? I can look into this for you; I would just need your VIN and studio name. If you are from Canada, feel free to contact my counterpart, Katie (FiatCACares). She can do the same for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shortly after purchasing our 2013 Abarth (July, 2013), the shifter cable broke on our Abarth. the dealer replaced the cable and in doing so, discovered that the rentention bracket that holds the two shifter cables was installed improperly at the factory and/or broken. A new bracket was ordered but it turned out to be the wrong bracket. A second bracket was ordered and two months later they still can't get the bracket. The dealership has kept the car driveable due to a temporary fix involving the use of two zip ties keeping the shifter cable ferrules attached to the body of the gear box. The dealer says that an ETA on the part is still unknown due to the supplier/factory/etc. I asked them how people deal with cars that have been crash damaged - do they wait months for parts too? My question went unanswered. We absolutely love this car, but hate this portion of the Fiat experience thus far. I know that we live in a "just in time" world, but this is getting annoying. Who knows how long two zip ties will keep this thing going before it strands us? Anyone else had a similar experience and what (if anything) have you done to expedite the process?

Safe motoring.
I have had to replace my shifter cable twice In the 6 years I’ve owned it. 2013 Abarth Cabrio. First time was 3 days before warranty expired, second time a couple months ago. The dealer had no problem replacing the parts first time, private service center second time. Probably should have gone back to dealer second time.
good luck to us both.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts