Fiat 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 500 (been wanting one for years and finally my old car broke enough I could justify it).

I'm positive the turbo was functioning during my test drive (I remember looking at the gauge to check and seeing the needle moving) but after the dealer's "final service", on my drive back home the turbo not only wasn't working, but when I put the hammer down and got up to about 3500 RPM, the ability to rev any higher just disappeared and I got a P2262 code. It's very unlikely I'll take it back to the dealer since it's like four hours away and I don't trust their mechanical know-how.

I cleared the code, and when driven "normally" (no jack rabbit starts, hard acceleration, etc.) it runs just fine as if the turbo didn't exist. When I punched it, it again got up to about 3500 RPM (I think I was in third gear both times) and the climbing revs just sort of leveled out, and I got the code back again. Then it drives in a sort of limp mode until you clear the code. I have a hard time calling it a real limp mode though because you can still go around 80 mph (maybe faster, I didn't try) it just takes a long time to get there, and because revs are limited, going uphill for any distance is an exercise in increasing disappointment.

It's the first Abarth I've driven, so I don't really know what I'm listening for, but it also sounds to me like there's a mechanical kind of whine, only while accelerating. I can only hear it at low speeds because of the exhaust noise, but I assume it's there all the time. I'm going to try to get a video or two with the noise and the hard acceleration and share links to them.

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wow, what a pain. I would give them a call. Since it just happened, they may fix the damage they did, if it is their fault. (Hopefully the PO didn't hack the car. It can make troubleshooting more difficult.)

Yes a P2262 is simply telling what you already know... "Turbo Boost Pressure Not Detected - Mechanical".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I sent the guy a text to tell him it had happened, that I was going to do some quick troubleshooting in case it was something little, but I wanted him to be aware in case it looked like something bigger, and he said (paraphrase) "It passed inspection right before you took it, it could be something minor while you were driving, let me know."

Unfortunately I didn't specifically point out during the test drive that it was working, to which I could then say the only thing between then and now was the "service", and I really don't want to drive back four hours. Nobody spoke very good English, they were nice, but I'm not sure how much progress I'd make since I got a "big discount", etc etc etc.

I was able to get two videos with the whine and I replicated the CEL event (although the light didn't actually come on this time, and the limited revs problem went away after turning it off and on again, presumably because there was no code to tell the car there was a problem). I'm glad I got it on camera at least to the extent I did, because I don't want to do it again - the whining was a bit louder this time.

Video part 1 (18 mins but I'll put some timestamps in the description)

Video part 2 (just over a minute, mostly the whine sound after the restart)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sorry, part 1 didn't link. Can you get the engine to whine w/o it being in gear? The whine sounds like transmission to me, but I'll leave it to the experts. It's been decades since I last heard that sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, part 1 didn't link. Can you get the engine to whine w/o it being in gear? The whine sounds like transmission/differential to me, but I'll leave it to the experts.
Yeah it's STILL uploading...maybe I should have trimmed it first. But "high speed internet" I thought...

It only seems to whine when in gear, and only accelerating. If it was a transmission issue I'm pretty sure it would whine when in gear at all, even coasting/engine braking.

My best guess so far is that it's the turbo running, but there's a broken vacuum line or something so there's just no pressure - and that's the downside to the tiny engine bay, it's next to impossible to see anything and I don't have a lift to get a good look underneath. From the looking I've done so far online most relevant search terms bring up people's mods not working, which doesn't really do me much good.

27 mins left on video 1.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You are no doubt correct. (You can hear it directly.)

It does sound similar to cars with straight cut gears or damaged ones. Damaged, they'd usually be noisier in one or two gears, always under load. Always when accelerating, occasionally when deaccelerating. I didn't hear grumbling of a bearing, but I wouldn't expect that in a FWD car. In neutral, they only make noise when the input shaft bearing is defective or sometimes a bearing when rolling, but never the gear whine. Oh... once heard it when an owner drained his tranny oil and drove to the garage to have it topped off... and in a couple cars with modified (racing) gear boxes.

As I say, the experts will know better than I. It has been 30 years since I last heard that sound and I really hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the other video uploaded and linked. Pretty long but most of it isn't needed - important parts at 5 mins and 6 mins (shortcuts in description).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Possible Causes
  • RESTRICTED AIR FILTER
  • BOOST SYSTEM PRESSURE HOSES RESTRICTED OR LEAKING
  • LARGE INTAKE SYSTEM LEAK OR RESTRICTION
  • INTERCOOLER LEAK
  • EXHAUST SYSTEM RESTRICTION
  • WASTEGATE SOLENOID
  • WASTEGATE VALVE STICKING OPEN
  • TURBOCHARGER (SEIZED TURBINE)
  • BOV SPRING FAILURE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it up to my dad's place (he has a big garage to work in) and I should have put it on ramps first - the dimwits at the dealership, despite having it on a real lift, somehow didn't notice that the hose from the intercoolers was completely not connected:

(Picture is underneath, looking up and forward, on the left side. You can see the fan and the back of the radiator on the other side of the hose and pipe. Really easy to reach up in here and take care of.)

Popped this back on, did the snap ring (if you want to call it that) and turbo was back.

HOWEVER...

I drove it down a nice road relatively hard, twice, and then my Dad drove it, not quite as hard as me, but still using the turbo. He suddenly said "what happened, I have my foot to the floor" and it was like it had gone into limp mode again. No CEL, so we pulled into the garage, put it on ramps, hose was fine. Let it cool for a little bit, my friend took a turn driving it, and the turbo was back and no limp mode (no CEL remember) but it would only go up to about 6 PSI. Let it sit all night, drove it in the morning and it was back to normal. Brought it back home, 3.5 hr drive, no problems.

Coming home from work today, on an incline in second gear, seemed to go back into limp mode, and I got a CEL this time. P0299 was logged, and I had P0299 and P1CEA pending. Checked the hose, it's still where it should be. I haven't done anything else yet really, but this hose fix was so simple I wanted to make sure I got this up here for anybody else.

Initial search looks like 1CEA is a vacuum hose, and 0299 is low boost. I cleared them and expect it will be just fine for at least a couple days, if recent history is anything to go by.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts